PDA

View Full Version : Lube for handgun boolits, recipe needed.

Murphy
01-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Howdy Men,

After many years of casting and 'buying' bullet lube for all my handgun boolits, I've decided to finally take the plunge and start making my own lube(s).

I am currently in the process of gathering all the needed items to make Felix's World Famous Lube. I've read enough and spoke to enough folks here that I'm sure I won't need to look any farther for a lube all the way up thru my 30/30 cast booit loads...some over 2,000fps.

Handgun boolits on the other hand, are a whole nother' thing for me where lube is concerned. While I have yet to make my first batch of Felix's lube, I'm thinking I would also like to be able to make a lube that's very workable in my handguns. Most of my handgun loads are not 'Magnum' loads. I'll use the Felix lube for those when I feel the need to do so.

What I am looking for is a relativley easy lube to make for large quantity use. Most of the handgun loads I shoot will be under 1,000 fps. Mainly .38 specials/ .45 ACP's and .44 Magnum in the general vicinity of velocitie's up to 1,000 fps. Anything over that and I'll use Felix's lube.

I have a tendacy to cast many thouands of boolits, then lube and store them until needed. I'm looking at casting up 3 or 4 thousand rounds of each boolit mentioned above. 38's, .45's and .44's.

I have both a Star and Lyman 4500 sizer with heated bases on both. I'd like a lube that isn't too soft as to make handling it messy.

Respectfully,

Murphy

MT Gianni
01-14-2006, 04:36 PM
I use Felix lube for my pistols as well as rifles with excellent accuracy and I don't have to worry about what is in the sizer. Gianni.

Maven
01-14-2006, 05:55 PM
I do what MT G does.

waksupi
01-14-2006, 07:12 PM
I use Felix lube for my pistols as well as rifles with excellent accuracy and I don't have to worry about what is in the sizer. Gianni.

Ditto. Good up to around 2640 fps for me, so far. I'll push that more, once the barrel on the .223 is broke in, and I bet FWFL will be up to the task.

grumble
01-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Murphy, if you want to use the best, Felix Lube is the way to go. If you're like me though, and good enuff is good enuff, then you have several choices.

First, and easiest, is Lee Liquid Alox. Works just fine up to about 1500 fps in all calibers I've tried it with. I cut it 50-50 with mineral spirits so it dries faster and makes a more uniform coating.

Next would be your choice of another lube mixed with beeswax. I use about 60-40 wax to lithium grease. Others use varying ratios of STP, moly grease, or even ATF. The beeswax kinda holds it together while the lube of choice provides the actual lubrication. You can mix it in whatever percentages will float your boat, making your own adjustments for viscosity to accomodate different ambient temperatures and chamber pressures.

That's what we do a lot of here, experiment and then argue with everyone else about why what WE use is better than what THEY use. <GGG>

C1PNR
01-14-2006, 09:03 PM
That's what we do a lot of here, experiment and then argue with everyone else about why what WE use is better than what THEY use. <GGG>
Boy, grumble, you sure nailed that one![smilie=p: [smilie=l: :lovebooli

Bullshop
01-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Murphy
Nothing could be more simple than the recipe I posted for Bull Shop Speed Green. It was posted on the origonal bull plate thread.
There is no doubt fwfl is used with satisfaction by many but to say it is best as some have is I think rather silly especialy since the two have not been tried be the same people.
I read the procedure for fwfl and it seemed rather like witch craft to me and far from easy.
I could make claims for speed green but would seem to be tooting my own horn, so I would hope that others that have used it will come in here.
The procedure for speed green is so simple it is laughable compared to others.
One two ounce bottle of Bull Plate @ $4.00 will make 1/2lb speed green boolit lube.
If anyone else is interested and missed the origonal post check the origonal Bull Plate thread or if you cant find it I will re post the formula/procedure.
Speed Green can also be purchased in a 1.5 oz hollow stick, just use the link at the bottom of this page to the bull shop.
I have watched and read for some time now as many have attempted and failed to work through the procedure for fwfl and I must say that making lube does not have to be that dificult.
BIC/BS

Dale53
01-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Bullshop;
Please post "Bullshop Speed Green" formula, again. I tried the search function without success.

Dale53

Wayne Smith
01-14-2006, 11:10 PM
I simply use my BP lube for pistol bullets. It's in the Lyman, the high speed lube is in the RCBS. The BP lube is a modification on Emmert's, as most of them are. Beeswax and an oil or animal grease (olive oil or crisco, or some lanolin, or take your pick) in roughly equal quantities. Add a little Murphy's Oil Soap and melt it all down in a double boiler. Pour into lube sizer or pan lube. If you want it to smell good or be pretty add some candle color or candle scent.

RayinNH
01-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Dale go to Cast Boolits, page 6, "Bull Plate Lube...Test" dated 12/15/2005, post #19. And there you have it...Ray

NuJudge
01-15-2006, 07:22 AM
By weight 3 parts yellow bees wax (the raw unrefined wax is best because it containes the natural glue's) If it doesnt smell like honey its not right.
to 1 part Bull Plate
Thats it simple ha?
A couple cautions
Use a double boiler so you dont scorch the wax
Dont use paraffin, it lowers the flash point and causes more fouling.
If you want a less sticky/tacky lube add .5oz carnauba wax per 1 lb Speed Green. Pre melt the carnauba before adding .
If you will be casting sticks I have found the basic 3/1 formula does not release easily from my molds. The cure for this is to add .5 oz allox per 1 lb lube. I use the origonal allox from the allox corp. in Niagra Falls NY but they no longer exist. I still have a good supply. I have tried the Lee liquid version just to see and it also worked. If you are just melting and pouring into your sizer you wont need to bother with the allox.
Thats it, peace of cake!
For any that bought more than one 2 oz bottle and now realise you didnt need that much to lube your molds one bottle will make you 1/2 lb of Speed Green boolit lube. Life couldnt be more simple!

NuJudge
01-15-2006, 07:28 AM
I don't know the guy, and have not bought anything from him, but the sprue plate lube he makes is the other ingredient in Speed Green.

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/prices.html

See the lower right-hand corner of the page

CDD

Junior1942
01-15-2006, 08:31 AM
For all my smokeless cast bullet shooting I use either Lee Liquid Alox for lower velocities or a lube I call 411 or Pinko Commie ***, or PCF, for higher velocities. "Lower" means 1600 fps or less. "Higher" means 1600 - 1900 fps.

411 or PCF is easy to make. Blend by volume 4 parts beeswax, 1 part lithium auto grease, and 1 part Dexron ATF. The lithium grease doesn't want to blend, so squeeze the globules against the side of the blending container with a spatula. The resulting lube is somewhat pink in color due to the ATF.

I pour directly from the blending container to the tank of my 450 Sizer/Lubricator.

45nut
01-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Dale go to Cast Boolits, page 6, "Bull Plate Lube...Test" dated 12/15/2005, post #19. And there you have it...Ray
I made Bullshops original post a "sticky" in the "swappin & sellin" forum as well. :lovebooli

shawn45
01-15-2006, 12:53 PM
I have made FWFL and I have no complaints but for most of the loads I use the 50/50 works great for me. I have used 50/50 up to 1800fps with great results and if it is to soft just add in more beeswax. I just melt the beeswax and blend in the grease till mixed well. I use raw strained bees wax from Durant OK.
I keep the 50/50 in my Star and if I need to use something else I put it in my Lyman. But I only have my 50/50 left. I like the High pressure moly grease from Autozone better than the lithium.

africa
01-25-2006, 08:41 AM
If you want to save time, put a little dab of lanoline in a plastic pan and stir the bullets. Just a very thin layer is enough. Size the bullets and shoot them. In my 1911 .45 ACP, loaded to 900 fps, there is no leading at all, and accuracy improoved noticeably.

utk
01-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Murphy, here are some of my collected recipes:

1)

50 % Beeswax
50% Alox 606-55 or Lee Liquid Alox
(Vary the proportions to suit)

Looks just like Javelina NRA 50/50 beeswax/alox2138F)

More info about Alox 606-55 from Lubrizol (USA) homepage:

ALOX 606 — Hard film, high melt point, calcium soap, long-term outdoor protection
ALOX 606-55 — Solvent cutback of ALOX 606 calcium soap, long-term salt spray protection = LEE Liquid Alox
ALOX 606-70 — Solvent cutback of ALOX 606 calcium soap, concentrate

2)

50 % Beeswax
50 % Alox 350 (Replaces Alox 2138F)

3) California Saeco Green (A soft lube, like NRA 50/50 Alox/Beewax)

2 lbs Beeswax
2 lbs Paraffin
1 lb STP Oil Treatment

4)

75 % Beeswax
25 % Vaseline (Approximately).

5)

1 part Beeswax
.75 parts petroleum jelly
.25 parts paraffin

6)

5 parts Paraffin
2 parts Beeswax
2 parts Quaker State wheel bearing grease (Brand probably not important).

7)

Barry Darr’s Lube Formula - A great lube for pan lubing bullets. See modified version below.

1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaseline
2 tbsp. STP Oil Treatment (may also use RCBS Case Lube #1. (The current RCBS Case Lube #2 is something different, and it is water soluble).

8) Modified Barry Darr lube - Excellent results up to 1500 fps, and near 90° F temperature (32C), with the only problem being that it melts in the sun or hot weather.

1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaseline

(Question for Felix: will the melting point increase if we add sodium stearate? If problems melting the stearate, melt it at a somewhat higher temp with a small amount of mineral oil, let cool down and add paraffin and vaseline).

Cayoot
01-25-2006, 04:38 PM
What do you guys think is a good source for lanolin?

G50-70
01-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Cayoot
I bought my lanolin at From Nature with Love, but they seem to have been out of stock for some time. You might want to try Bramble Berry. I have not ordered from them but their price seems very good.
http://www.brambleberry.com/oils.html

Cayoot
01-25-2006, 07:06 PM
WOW!!! That stuff's expensive!!!

Is 4 lbs for $24 the going rate?

There must be something more economical to use eh?

RugerFan
01-25-2006, 08:12 PM
What do you guys think is a good source for lanolin?

I got my lanolin from Majestic Mountain Sage:

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

carpetman
01-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Cayoot---Good source for lanolin. Become Waksupis barber and sweep up the cuttings and the lanolin would drip out like honey from a honeycomb. Trim his moustache and get heavy concentration.

wills
01-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Wondered where you'd been C'man

felix
01-25-2006, 09:57 PM
(Question for Felix: will the melting point increase if we add sodium stearate? If problems melting the stearate, melt it at a somewhat higher temp with a small amount of mineral oil, let cool down and add paraffin and vaseline).

Answer: yes, sodium stearate gives the lube a higher melting point. Stearic acid, which is the sodium sterate without the sodium or other metal, makes the lube harder but does not raise the melting point. Yes, melt in the stearate(s) seperately with mineral oil, and apply this liquid into the remainder of the lube. ... felix

waksupi
01-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Cayoot---Good source for lanolin. Become Waksupis barber and sweep up the cuttings and the lanolin would drip out like honey from a honeycomb. Trim his moustache and get heavy concentration.

A much better source, is to borrow Carpetman's jeans, and wash the front of them. This should yield several pounds worth. It won't be virgin, though..

sundog
01-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Ric, dat's a good'un! sundog

454PB
01-27-2006, 12:15 AM
I use mink oil boot dressing as a substitute for lanoline. It also makes an excellent resizing lubricant.

Cayoot
01-27-2006, 09:31 AM
I use mink oil boot dressing as a substitute for lanoline. It also makes an excellent resizing lubricant.

Now THAT'S an interesting idea!!!!

slughammer
01-27-2006, 08:40 PM
For feeding the Star and letting the boolits drop into a catch box, hard lube is the way to go. Much better to have a hard lube and nice clean boolits in your stored boxes than a sticky mess.

My recipe is to buy a commercial lube in 2 x 6" sticks, then melt it down and pour it into the Star. If you shop around, a 2 x 6" stick is about $4.25 and is also 6X the volume of 1 x 4 solid sticks. At $3.00 for a 1 x 4" stick, that comes out to $18 for the same amount of lube as one 2 x 6".

I use the Star for high volume stuff. The Lyman and RCBS get 50/50 till I run out.

If I was going to make lube for the Star, I'd add a bunch of candles (parafin) to make it a hard lube.

BOOM BOOM
01-30-2006, 12:58 AM
HI,
Well when the hard lube green RCBS broke my lyman 450 last year I melted it out into a can, & as I had bought 3 other sticks I put them into the can too. Then I added a equal amount of beeswax & got a soft lube result that I'm useing on pistol bullets.
Seems to produce more smoke on firing but haven't noted any other side effects in the 357 loads so far. Shot in cold weather.
It was my attemp to salvage the store bought lube, and convert it into somethig usable.