PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy 44mag Loads?

TNtrapper
01-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Howdy all! I just ordered a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag. I handload my own ammo and like to shoot cast bullets through my lever guns. Has anybody had any experience with the big boys? From what I understand the design of the these is more of a Marlin type action. I guess my question is...just about how much do you think these brass framed .44s will take? Ive got a Rossi .44 that will take a pretty heavy load .....but Im kinda leary about the brass frame on the Henry. Any of yall have any loads youve worked up on one? Thanks a lot!................TN:mrgreen:

leadeye
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Can't speak for the 44 but I feed my 45lc the same high powered ammo my Ruger Blackhawks get with no problem. I need about 10 grains of Unique behind a 260 grain bullet minimum to get good chamber seal or I get dirty brass. 21 grains of Lilgun behind the RCBS 310 SWCGC shoots well in mine but the feeding could be better, I am experimenting with the Lee 452-300 RF.

TNtrapper
01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks leadeye! I believe Im gonna keep the loads tamed down in this one. :-D

doulos
02-05-2009, 11:32 PM
I just ordered the same rifle. I'm not worried about the strength of it. The receiver is a brass alloy and is supposed to be as strong as steel. From my understanding if you put a magnet to it it will stick because of the steel content in it. Ive heard of no failures or damage to the receiver and the gun has been out now since about 2002 or 03.

I believe factory level .44 magnum loads will be fine or problems would have surfaced by now. Ive read just about everything I can about this gun and I don't think you will have to load down. I load down just to save my brass and its just plain more enjoyable to shoot. I probably shoot most reloads at about 15-20percent below max any way and only stoke up for hunting ammo.
I'm looking forward to shooting this rifle and am gonna try to find a cast bullet for it.