PDA

View Full Version : New casting bench!

44Blam
07-16-2022, 10:22 PM
I setup a new casting bench and finally got to use it. It is a tool box from Harbor freight and it rolls. So, I can roll it out my basement into a screened in room and cast away. Worked great and everything rolls back in with it.

Mal Paso
07-16-2022, 11:30 PM
Awesome! Set up and ready to go anytime you are!

RobS
07-17-2022, 12:39 AM
That’ll do! Roll away!

lightman
07-17-2022, 03:25 PM
Nice and convenient!

Mountain Meadow
07-17-2022, 04:16 PM
wish I'd thought of that! bought the wood bench from them thinking I could use it under a window with fans, now they tell me not to.

Land Owner
07-17-2022, 05:16 PM
Ooooh...Tensile Fairy vs. meltable screen. Get the popcorn!

bubbau
07-17-2022, 08:51 PM
That's a very nice setup!

44Blam
07-17-2022, 10:44 PM
Ooooh...Tensile Fairy vs. meltable screen. Get the popcorn!

The meltable screen is the least of my concerns with a tensile fairy appearance... :shock:
I've lived here for 6 months and I've never seen water in that space even with the biggest storms. They normally come in from the SW, W, NW and that screened porch is on the east side of the house.

Shurshot2
07-17-2022, 11:23 PM
Nice setup, was looking at the 9 drawer version for the same.

Land Owner
07-18-2022, 04:37 AM
It is not so much the "rain in Spain" as the unintended condensation, live primer, wax fire, etc. that may be introduced into the hot melt.

robg
07-18-2022, 10:07 AM
i put my pot in an old oven tray to catch drips and splashes. nice set up.

WRideout
07-18-2022, 10:41 AM
Back when my ex and I lived in a two BR apartment, I did the same thing to make a reloading bench, which stayed in the bedroom, due to lack of space anywhere else. Besides, reloading tools in the bedroom make men more romantic.

Wayne

44Blam
07-18-2022, 10:51 PM
i put my pot in an old oven tray to catch drips and splashes. nice set up.

I have a 24x18" piece of 1/4" plywood that I stuck under the pot so I could set hot things down and keep from getting little lead burns in the top.

Land Owner, what's your fixation on the Tinsel Fairy? You get a visit recently or something?

Land Owner
07-19-2022, 03:41 AM
I do experience "wax ignition" when fluxing, nearly every time. I have not had any other incidents. I have not shot a sky screen or a chronograph either, but I digress...Good luck. Stuff happens. I hope not to you.

pworley1
07-19-2022, 06:27 AM
Very nice.

44Blam
07-19-2022, 11:35 PM
I do experience "wax ignition" when fluxing, nearly every time. I have not had any other incidents. I have not shot a sky screen or a chronograph either, but I digress...Good luck. Stuff happens. I hope not to you.

I shot a screen of a chrono with a full power 44 - it was pretty dramatic. My chrono was the upside down caldwell ones - the screen blew into a bunch of pieces.

gwpercle
07-20-2022, 02:25 PM
That's a SWEET setup ... Nice work .
You deserve a big ... ATTABOY ... and the first round is on me :drinks:
Gary

The Dar
07-20-2022, 07:37 PM
I have a 24x18" piece of 1/4" plywood that I stuck under the pot so I could set hot things down and keep from getting little lead burns in the top.

I bought an aluminum cookie sheet with raised edges from Sprawlmart. Once cooled any drippings slide right off it.

murf205
07-21-2022, 08:33 AM
44Blam, that's a great setup. I need to do the same thing 'cause when I cast, I have to clean off my bench and that's usually a project in itself. I have to make sure there is no powder and /or primers or other combustibles on the bench and you have solved that problem with a dedicated, yet portable, bench. Kudos 2 U.

oley55
07-21-2022, 11:56 AM
I did similar with an old 1990 Craftsman tool chest bottom.

I do wonder about you power cord reel, whether it has the rated amps you need. I mounted an outlet to the side of my toolbox just under the handle so it wouldn't be hanging out there and taking up space.

GregLaROCHE
07-21-2022, 02:17 PM
That’s great. I’m thinking a lot about a tool box on wheels these days.

David2011
07-25-2022, 02:26 PM
Nice job! A roll around base has really helped me out over the years. Never installed the wheels but instead installed 2x4 “skids” to provide stability and resistance to sliding. I first used it as a reloading bench while temporarily living in a fifth wheel trailer. I mounted a Rock Chucker on a riser so the top drawer would still open. A shelf at eye level provided a place for the powder scale. The drawers were great storage for primers, bullets and tools. I chose to only load for two rifle and two handgun cartridges at the time to limit the amount of supplies I had to have on hand.

Once I bought another house and built a proper reloading room the roll around was converted to the boolit sizing station.

One thing I learned was that the drawer slides on the bottom of the line roll around were very marginal. It was an inexpensive Craftsman that was on sale. It’s worth spending a few more bucks to get ball bearing slides or at least heavy duty slides without ball bearings. A drawer full of bullets really strained the low end slides.

Lost Oki
07-26-2022, 01:58 PM
Like the rolling casting bench. I setup a similar reloading bench using a metal table with 3 drawers from Lowe's. Top 2 drawers for misc. stuff like powder bowel, meter and bullet puller. All my dies are in the black plastic cabinets on the sides. Added wood shelves to store bullets. I am just getting started into bullet casting and have an area similar to yours I will have to develop for reloading 302582

44Blam
07-27-2022, 10:22 PM
Like the rolling casting bench. I setup a similar reloading bench using a metal table with 3 drawers from Lowe's. Top 2 drawers for misc. stuff like powder bowel, meter and bullet puller. All my dies are in the black plastic cabinets on the sides. Added wood shelves to store bullets. I am just getting started into bullet casting and have an area similar to yours I will have to develop for reloading 302582

I really like the rolling cart for casting - it is pretty humid here and I really like keeping my stuff inside with low humidity. It is nice to also have everything together. In my last house, I kept my stuff inside and would take it out to a workbench on a balcony. It worked nicely, but this is much better.

OS1880
07-31-2022, 11:46 AM
I built a small rolling bench mounted my presses on each end and the melting pot is on the top. Have a cabinet underneath for supplies. Going to be moving into a new place there I have a large A/C shed so I will be redoing this into a larger bench.

fredj338
07-31-2022, 12:09 PM
Nice. I did the same thing decades ago; craftsman metal work bench. It has two pots & my star sizer mounted to it, drawers for molds & such.