PDA

View Full Version : Cutting bullets out of lube

dfwdon
01-26-2009, 11:04 PM
I have noticed several posts where folks say they pour lube around their Maxi-balls and let it harden then cut the boolits out of the lube.
Anyone have a good idea what to use to cut .54 cal Maxi-balls out?
I am using a Lyman .54 Cal Maxi mold and they are just about .548.

Thanks,
Don

boommer
01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Twist and pull

freedom475
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM
You could probly try a 9/16ths piece of tubing. Brass, copper, plastic...something should have thin enough walls to give you the right inside diameter. Just bevel the end a little.

I have a plastic tool made by TC (might be Buttler Creek) just for this application. Not sure if they still make them or not

dfwdon
01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
After digging around some more I found a link for a Kake Kutter from the 310shop and ordered one today.

Thanks again,
Don

missionary5155
01-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Good morning
I would think one of those 28 gauge plastic shotshell hulls should be about that diameter..
Knock out the primer. Slide a big headed nail through with head inside the case. Cut a piece of 1" dowel about 2 " long. Drill it in the side half way through the diameter of the nail and stick it on for your ejection handle. Walla !
Mike God Bless you !

13Echo
01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
You don't need a cutter. If your lube isn't too soft and will form a cake on cooling then place the bullets bottom down in an aluminum or plastic pan. Melt the lube in a double boiler and pour it in till the lube grooves are covered. when the lube cools enough to pull away from the sides of the pan turn the pan over a folded towel and dump the lube cake and bullets out. Turn the cake over and place it on the folded towel and push on the nose of each bullet to break it loose then lift the cake and push the bullets out. Works for my 50 and 45 cal bulletsfor the Sharps and Trapdoors and should do fine for the Maxi balls.

Jerry Liles