PDA

View Full Version : Did I cause this?

natlmatch
07-15-2022, 02:41 PM
Hi All

I recently bought some 12ga primed empties to experiment with. Last night I wanted to try one out for fun so I decided to put one
in the ole Mossberg's chamber and shot it in the garage. No powder or projectile of any sort was used, just the primed shell.
When I ejected the spent round, it looked like this(shell on the right):
My question is, did I cause this by shooting this primed 'blank"?
Or is there a problem with the cartridge/firearm?

Thank you for all replies!

Electrod47
07-15-2022, 03:33 PM
Shoot a second one and see. Primers can back out without proper pressure to hit the bolt face.

natlmatch
07-15-2022, 04:24 PM
Shoot a second one and see. Primers can back out without proper pressure to hit the bolt face.

Samey-same:

Winger Ed.
07-15-2022, 04:54 PM
That's normal.

Almost all primed and empty cases will do that.
Doing that, I used to call it a redneck headspace gauge.

That's partly how really flat primers in fired cases end up with high pressure signs, and the primer looking like a rivet.
When it fires the primer backs out, tries or starts to bulge,
and the case gets pushed back onto it before it can slide back into the primer pocket.

In your case, You know the primers are good.
I'd load & shoot 'em, they'll be fine.

stubshaft
07-15-2022, 04:58 PM
The primed hull doesn't have enough pressure to seal the hull into the chamber and allows the gasses to migrate to the base. Full power loads will shoot just fine.

natlmatch
07-16-2022, 05:45 AM
Thank you all very much, that's a load off my mind!!

243winxb
07-16-2022, 09:50 AM
If case head in now concaved it goes in the trash. Firing pin may have trouble reaching it.

Concaved happens also when to much pressure is applied when seating the primers.

natlmatch
07-16-2022, 03:46 PM
Yes Sir, I cut it up. Thanks for that info!

toot
07-17-2022, 08:02 AM
The primed hull doesn't have enough pressure to seal the hull into the chamber and allows the gasses to migrate to the base. Full power loads will shoot just fine.

you hit the nail on the head. it needs the pressure from firing to keep the primmer seated on the hull!!

harkom
08-09-2022, 04:32 AM
The comments regarding insufficient pressure appertain however the Fiocchi hulls primer chamber may be oversize for typical US 209 primers ie a loose fit contributing to the result.
It would be of interest to compare these with some fired in another gun such as a standard sxs gun.

toot
08-10-2022, 02:16 PM
Electrod47, that is correct & it will happen when the headspace is not in specks.

Geezer in NH
08-10-2022, 03:30 PM
If case head in now concaved it goes in the trash. Firing pin may have trouble reaching it.

Concaved happens also when to much pressure is applied when seating the primers. Not so A punch that fits shell well Hammered down on the anvil of the vice flattens it back down so primers will be flush BTDT

a danl
08-10-2022, 03:50 PM
Hi All

I recently bought some 12ga primed empties to experiment with. Last night I wanted to try one out for fun so I decided to put one
in the ole Mossberg's chamber and shot it in the garage. No powder or projectile of any sort was used, just the primed shell.
When I ejected the spent round, it looked like this(shell on the right):
My question is, did I cause this by shooting this primed 'blank"?
Or is there a problem with the cartridge/firearm?

Thank you for all replies!

that is normal . that's what happens in the first mili-second of firing a live round then when the powder is ignited the pressure is reversed on the primer and the shell is pushed back against the breech and resets the primer where it was in the first place. that is called headspace

toot
08-11-2022, 07:12 AM
Geezer in NH, roger that. it is what I do to them also. the brass in UBER soft and will flatten out with out any problem. I use a 5/16 th. brass rod to accomplish it, it is what I have and it works. waste not want not! it is not being cheep but repurposing items!