PDA

View Full Version : Who Made This

ca_reloader
07-14-2022, 02:38 PM
At first glance I thought it was an A series RCBS but the are no markings on the casting and RCBS is very good about making sure their name is there.

oley55
07-14-2022, 03:06 PM
take a tour through the vintage reloading section here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?266-Vintage-Reloading-Gear Or better ask a moderator to move your post over there. I'm pretty sure it is an early pre A series RCBS that has been repainted. Let me do some searching through some of my old archive messages.

sending u a pm

further searching in the vintage zone: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?267869-RCBS-the-first-press
the lack of RCBS markings are discussed with marginal pics.

rancher1913
07-14-2022, 03:27 PM
if pressman was here he could tell you all about it.

free pressman :Bright idea:

Bent Ramrod
07-14-2022, 04:28 PM
It looks to me like a very early RCBS press that someone painted red (*shudder!!*). Those adjustable metal straps (as opposed to the more robust holes and cross bolt that came later) that set the tilt are pretty diagnostic.

Check on the RCBS section of the ARTCA Site; there are a number of pictures of early presses.

salpal48
07-14-2022, 05:22 PM
It is a "Pre A" painted

pworley1
07-14-2022, 05:31 PM
My vote goes for an early RCBS.

oley55
07-15-2022, 11:02 AM
Check on the RCBS section of the ARTCA Site; there are a number of pictures of early presses.

I must not be holding my mouth just right, but I was able to find anything resembling an RCBS section as a non-member. Is membership registration required?

Bent Ramrod
07-15-2022, 09:32 PM
Yes, you do need to register. Otherwise it says “there are no posts here.”

There are a few “A” type presses under the RCBS section. It seemed to me that there were a lot more of them. Maybe they’re in the Virtual Collections section, or here, in the Vintage Gear section. The ARTCA site is the place to ask about old reloading stuff, though; there are a lot of real scholars there. Me, I'm just an unusually enthusiastic accumulator.

Bmi48219
07-19-2022, 10:50 AM
It looks to me like a very early RCBS press that someone painted red (*shudder!!*). Those adjustable metal straps (as opposed to the more robust holes and cross bolt that came later) that set the tilt are pretty diagnostic.

Sorry, I’m not following the ‘adjustable metal strap’ comment. I see the two angled metal straps running from the top of press to the base, but no additional holes in base or straps to change the press angle. Were different length straps supplied or available?

gwpercle
07-19-2022, 12:17 PM
if pressman was here he could tell you all about it.

free pressman :Bright idea:

:goodpost:
LIKE !

It's times like these when I wish things were different .
Can you imagine the Book(s) he could write ...
Gary

Bent Ramrod
07-20-2022, 09:24 AM
Aren’t those holes in the straps, slightly above where the bolts are in? Maybe it’s just paint rubbed off, but they do look circular.

The later “As” I’ve seen pictures of were tilted at different angles with the straps. I figured that’s what they were for.