PDA

View Full Version : Ptr 91

Rich/WIS
07-13-2022, 08:40 PM
This is a US made copy of the German G3. My nephew bought one and we shot it last weekend with factory ammo, not sure what brand but was new, non corrosive ammo. We considered reloading for it but examining the brass were surprised at how much damage the rifle did to it. The marks from the fluted chamber were relatively mild but in the ejection cycle the cases hit the ejection port and were dented badly. I have had dings on cases in my M1 from hitting the op rod but the dents his rifle puts on the brass were so bad it looked like you hit them with a hammer. Far too damaged to even consider reloading.

Wondering if any forum members are familiar with the rifle and is there some way to adjust port pressure to reduce the violence of the ejection cycle.

LAGS
07-13-2022, 08:49 PM
I have two HK 91 rfles German Made.
They too dent the brass.
So I installed the ejector Buffer on the ejection port.
No dents now.
And much easier to find your brass because it helps direct the ejection.
The flutes on the case do not effect the reloading of the cases at all.
The dents were not an issue when reloading the brass.
But the brass will last way longer if they don't get dented.

JRD
07-14-2022, 08:10 AM
The PTR91 is roller delayed blowback (hence the fluted chamber) and not gas operated. There's no way to turn down the port pressure because there is no port.
Beating up brass is reported to be part of the reputation of these roller delayed guns.
As LAGS says, your best bet is to get a buffer to cushion the cases as they bounce off the gun during ejection.

Rich/WIS
07-14-2022, 10:24 AM
I'll pass this on to my nephew. He doesn't re;load right now but is thinking of starting (great timing).

dogmower
07-16-2022, 05:20 PM
There is no port on an hk style weapon. It's not gas operated, it's a roller delayed action. I've been reloading brass for my HK's for over 30 years. Get the ejection port buffer and it will decrease the damage to the cases as they're being ejected.

Kosh75287
07-16-2022, 06:34 PM
What I routinely hear from G3 platform shooters is that once-fired brass from the G3s is best used in bolt-action rifles, where they will provide MANY reloads before the need to retire them.

Bwana John
07-16-2022, 07:25 PM
I have seen pieces of adhesive backed velcro loop side stuck to the side of the receiver behind the ejection port to protect brass as it it being ejected.