PDA

View Full Version : Swaged vs. cast

Danth
07-13-2022, 12:19 PM
Been working up loads for a Wildcat called a .255 Dean, basically a 25-20 Winchester improved. Been using swaged bullets of 70grs with a copper jacket. As I plan on using cast bullets eventually, I tried some 87gr cast. The group with cast opened up slightly, but surprisingly shot high by 3 inches. With the same load I expected the heavier cast bullet to shoot low. What do you think?

Kosh75287
07-13-2022, 01:06 PM
From what barrel length are you shooting these, and to what range?
The first difference that I think of is that the cast projectile will have higher lubricity, which may translate to higher velocities, all other factors being equal. In THIS case, all factors are NOT equal so I'd expect any velocity increase to be lost, with a projectile that is 24% heavier than the swagged copper jacketed projectiles.
This is where a chronograph would be handy for answering a lot of questions.

littlejack
07-13-2022, 03:15 PM
Generally, a heavier bullet will impact higher. The bullets dwell time in the bore is longer, causing the barrell to rise more before the bullet leaves the barrel.

yeahbub
07-14-2022, 12:39 PM
You don't mention the distance you were shooting, but at relatively close distances, this stands to reason. The velocities are probably somewhat lower, but there's also increased recoil impulse rotating the barrel farther upward before the heavier boolit leaves the barrel, thus causing a higher point of impact - at least at relatively close distances. Once you get out there, the difference in trajectory curvature due to velocity will become apparent and the heavy boolit strike point will move downward faster than the lighter one at the same distance. Another factor is ballistic coefficient, which for cast boolits is generally lower than for sleek, pointy jacketed bullets, so cast will generally lose velocitiy faster.

This characteristic is made use of to develop loads for fixed-sight pistols. Light boolits moving fast will hit lower than a heavier boolit with the same velocity. A boolit is chosen which is equal to the intended task and paired with a load which causes it to strike at point of aim at the preferred distance, say 25 yards.

Meatpuppet
07-14-2022, 03:37 PM
What velocity are you looking for? Asking because I have had pretty good success using a combination of both. I cast a slightly undersized boolet, powdercoat it and then swage it up to final diameter. My casting skills are not "gooder" than most, but the powdercoat and swaging process irons out the imperfections.

So far it works for 357 Maximum, 44 Mag, 458 SOCOM, 300 BLK/.308 Win. I dont see why it wouldnt work for you. Other than I've never tried swaging such a small diameter. But people do swage .223 all of the time.