PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Blackhawk convertible cylinders

brown bass hunter
07-12-2022, 11:34 PM
I just purchased an estate and found 2 extra Ruger Blackhawk cylinder in the ruger boxes. One is in 9mm and the other in 45 acp.

My question is are these cylinder "specific" to the gun they came from factory with? Or could they be used with any caliber specific convertible blackhawk. I do not own any of these wheel guns.

Thanks for your help

Striker
07-13-2022, 06:34 AM
Typically fitted to the gun they came with. Ruger use to electric pen engrave the last 3 digits of the gun serial number on the end of the cylinder.

DougGuy
07-13-2022, 07:03 AM
Usually pics can identify a cylinder, as there are 3 basic models of centerfire single action cylinders, and you might need some measurements, I sent you a PM just now.

Thumbcocker
07-13-2022, 09:23 AM
If the overall length of the cylinder is the same, or preferably longer, than the guns original cylinder it can be fitted to another gun. I got lucky and bought one that was slightly longer than my factory cylinder. I was able to fit it and it indexed and locked up just fine.

I bought an Uberti. 45 acp cylinder and had it fitted to an Uberti. 45 colt and it shoots very well. Remember these revolvers are mass produced and parts that are in spec will usually drop in with little or no fitting.

On the Ruger forum cylinders like yours are occasionally offered for sale and snapped up. It would be important to list the overall length.

MT Gianni
07-14-2022, 09:52 PM
I bought one and fit it to my gun.

Pereira
07-14-2022, 10:06 PM
I have one of the 45LC/45ACP convertibles, a few years later I bought a Vaquero in 45lc.
Both have the 4 5/8" barrels (probably matters not), but the acp cylinder works just fine in the the Vaquero.

RP

LeonardC
07-16-2022, 06:45 PM
When i bought my .45 LC the .45ACP was not an option. I was gifted some $ and sent the gun back to Ruger and had them fit a .45ACP cylinder for it. I thought they were fitted to a specific gun for best performance. (My folks are long gone but I get a warm feeling when I install that cylinder.)

Whiterabbit
07-18-2022, 10:59 AM
You can fit them.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-20-2022, 01:35 PM
I have several Ruger revolvers using many cylinders and I cannot find a number engraved on any of them, even using a magnifying
glass.

BK7saum
07-20-2022, 06:57 PM
The cylinders I have seen on the convertibles were engraved on the cylinder face/muzzle side.

Once fired, it sometimes took a good cleaning to remove the fouling to see the engraving.

DougGuy
07-20-2022, 07:18 PM
I see a LOT of Ruger SA cylinders with numbers hand engraved on them. Not all are convertibles, I would venture to say that of the numbered ones that have come through my shop, probably 3/4 are not convertibles. I often use these numbers to keep from getting cylinders mixed up! When I get two of the same cylinders and neither are numbered, I put a tiny punch dot on the cylinder face of one cylinder where the numbers would be, some get two dots if there are 3 un numbered all the same cylinders in the shop at the same time.

Green Frog
07-21-2022, 02:24 PM
Just a quick story to relate. Thirty to forty plus years ago my broker bought a LNIB New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt chambering. Although it was not marked as a combination, I took a chance on a 45 ACP cylinder from a table at a gun show and took it to him. He dropped it right in and when he got to the range in an informal test, it shot more accurately than the factory installed Colt chamber.
Installation and fitting? He just dropped it in, replaced the axis pin and took it to the range. No muss, no fuss, no fitting. I can’t say all of them work like this, but his sure did! He’s still got that RBH all these years later and it will still shoot the lights out.
Froggie

Thumbcocker
07-23-2022, 09:22 AM
Just a quick story to relate. Thirty to forty plus years ago my broker bought a LNIB New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt chambering. Although it was not marked as a combination, I took a chance on a 45 ACP cylinder from a table at a gun show and took it to him. He dropped it right in and when he got to the range in an informal test, it shot more accurately than the factory installed Colt chamber.
Installation and fitting? He just dropped it in, replaced the axis pin and took it to the range. No muss, no fuss, no fitting. I can’t say all of them work like this, but his sure did! He’s still got that RBH all these years later and it will still shoot the lights out.
Froggie

It is all about the length of the cylinder. If it is shorter than the original you can wind up with very large gaps where you don't want them. You got lucky. Glad it worked for you.