PDA

View Full Version : I searched and couldn't find help for this Lee issue

handyrandyrc
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I've had it happen to two moulds, both Lee double cavity. It's my own fault, as I've spilled a little between the block and the handle.

I call it 'sticky' block, as one half floats freely in the handle, the other half is stuck in its last position when it was spilled upon. I tried heating the crud out of it and giving it a fling to see if I could get any liquid out.

Can the pin be driven out safely? I don't know how tightly these are pressed in -- anyone with experience here?

ktw
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I think the pins are simply staked at the opening of the cavity. If you open the beginning of the hole with a drill bit they should fall right out.

One of the first things I do with any of the Lee SC/DC molds, after casting a few for leementing, is to close the mold tightly on a well formed boolit then glue the blocks to the handles. No more flopping or alignment problems. I have been using the locktite sleeve retainer product for this.

-ktw

DLCTEX
01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Use a drill bit to remove the crimp, then use a rawhide hammer ( or a substitute) to tap the block and drift the pins out with inertia. To reset the pins use a flat punch just larger than the hole to recrimp, or a centerpunch to stake it in. I have removed lead from the block groove by heating it in the melt until it runs out, then use a toothpick on the hot mold to clean the crevicies.

mooman76
01-27-2009, 01:12 AM
They aren't that hard to remove and replace. Do like dale said. But first you might want to try cranking your lead heat up all the way and then sticking the mould in like you do to preheat but put it in longer ( like 30-40 sec.)and the tap the mould to get the lead out so to speak. Try this a few times and that way work.