PDA

View Full Version : I hate plumbing work

Handloader109
07-11-2022, 10:49 AM
I truly Hate plumbing work. Nasty smelly... wet, old stuff, dealing with poor work, etc. I'm NOT a plumber. And I didn't sleep in a motel 6 last night either.
That being said, I had a toilet that just stopped flushing well. Would randomly just plug up, but would slowly drain. Happened about a month or so ago, guest bath, so it's not used much, but I finally had to determine what was wrong.

Plunger wouldn'tsolve, got my wire pipe auger out and it wouldn't go through. I thought it might be the sharp turns as this toilet has a couple of real sharp bends... oh, did I say this is a 2 year old toilet. So it shouldn't be broken... adjusted water way up, no love.
So... it was remove and dismantle. Took off the reservoir. Nothing there, took off the base. Well, nothing in the drain or bottom. Argh.
So I took it outside and got my hose out. Water blew through it fine, couldn't see or feel anything.

But it has to be.... so I got out my little cheap usb endoscope camera. Charged up and ran it into the basin. And Saw this.... WTH. OK, got my wire auger back out and went bottom up. And this came out stinky bowl spray.... crap.... crap crap.
Put new seal (had bought new fangled rubber topped seal a while back and it worked fine).
Got reservoir on, adjusted water back down and it flushed like new.

I hate plumbing....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220711/a683ac53f256940401510e970e7daceb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220711/12b714131f8bb7b9036dfdc2dd3baa10.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Hannibal
07-11-2022, 11:12 AM
You know, I've never understood why someone will attempt to flush something they dropped in a toilet that clearly was never intended to be in a toilet.

Same folks who try to drive large trucks under low bridges or into parking garages or walk up the down side of an escalator I suppose.

I don't think plumbing is the issue in this case.

I forgot to add I empathize with your predicament. 4 teenage girls in my house. I had to go so far as putting up a notice in the bathroom that the next clogged sink drain or toilet would result in a call to the plumber and the cost would be reimbursed to my wife and I by the completion of household chores subject to inspection and approval. THAT finally worked and there have been no repeat incidents.

blackthorn
07-11-2022, 11:25 AM
It is obvious that THIS time the plumbing was not the issue---BUT---nevertheless you had to deal with it. I too hate plumbing! So, many years ago I learned to "call the guy"!

pworley1
07-11-2022, 11:51 AM
I like plumbing but I don't like fixing a mess made by someone else.

Winger Ed.
07-11-2022, 02:14 PM
I worked on a very similar problem in a rent ho0use one time.
I finally looked up into the exit of the commode. Some kid had flushed a tooth brush, and it jammed going over the 'hump'.

deltaenterprizes
07-11-2022, 02:29 PM
Wife did something similar with the top of a shampoo bottle in the tub!
It got caught in the trap and had a lot of fun getting it out!
Gee, I wonder how that got there!

skeettx
07-11-2022, 02:35 PM
My son flushed an APPLE down, cleared the pee-bend but not the seal.
Would seat and block during the flush, then float up and release after that.
What a pain to find out the problem, this was before cameras.

Mike

elmacgyver0
07-11-2022, 02:58 PM
I once removed a cleanout at my parents' house many years ago, they have long since passed.
Anyway, the kitchen sink was blocked up, already ran a hose into the vent to flush it loose, but that failed, my mom yelled to shut off the water as the trap blew out and flooded the kitchen.
Back to the cleanout. Well....what an interesting experience I never want to go thru again!
With the cleanout removed I witnessed a steady drip...drip...drip of water. Thought about it a bit then I came up with a brilliant idea!
I had my work truck with me, so I went out and retrieved my fish tape for running cable.
I ran that tape up the pipe and jiggled it a bit, all of the sudden all hell broke loose.
I gasped with my mouth wide open, and it hit me square in the face.
It seems a squirrel climbed into the vent and died there.
I was spitting out pieces of bone, fur and all kinds of nastiness I cannot begin to describe.
To make a long story short, no I'm not especially fond of plumbing.

Sasquatch-1
07-11-2022, 03:31 PM
I can't beat the squirrel but try getting a bar of Dove soap out of the pee trap. I would run toilet auger through and the water would start to drain. By the time the water was almost drained the soap, which when wet is almost like modeling clay, would seal the drain again. Finally, I had to remove the toilet and run the auger back and forth like a saw until the drain was clear.

Froogal
07-11-2022, 03:50 PM
That is exactly why I insist that BOTH lids be closed.

Many, many years ago I had to dig up a septic tank, simply because a disposable diaper had been flushed. Yes, the diaper made it all the way to the inlet of the septic tank and then stopped.

Winger Ed.
07-11-2022, 04:02 PM
I was spitting out pieces of bone, fur and all kinds of nastiness I cannot begin to describe.

I'm ashamed of myself for laughing at that.

But you have earned your disdain for plumbing honestly.

elmacgyver0
07-11-2022, 04:39 PM
I'm ashamed of myself for laughing at that.

But you have earned your disdain for plumbing honestly.
It didn't seem so funny at the time, but now I can laugh at it.

So go ahead and laugh at it. If someone can get a bit of humor out of the story, then perhaps my brief discomfort was all worth it.
I know retelling the tail has given me pleasure more times than once.
At time it wasn't so great, but now looking back it is hilarious.
The only thing I regret is I don't have a video of it.
My nephew is the only witness as he was right behind me.

wilecoyote
07-11-2022, 04:56 PM
...sanitary napkin inside one of the lead pipes I was smelting.
I have yet to understand how it came to the surface from molten lead, blackened but including the string, without dissolving itself.

CastingFool
07-11-2022, 06:03 PM
My oldest daughter phoned me one day to tell me their toilet was plugged up. I'm very familiar with their toilet as I installed it and it's the same model we have in our home (3 toilets) Tried the bucket trick and nothing, tried snaking it out and the snake wouldn't go far at all. So I removed the toilet and looked down the pipe. Nice and dry and clean! I figured the clog had to be in the trap of the toilet, so I turned it over and looked in, and found a brownish, black mass that was unrecognizable. Got a wire coat hanger and straightened it out, leaving a hook on one end. I was able to fish out what turned out to be a banana peel, that someone had flushed. Grandkids wouldn't admit to flushing it, but I suspect it was the oldest granddaughter, as she loved bananas. Do I mind working on plumbing, not at all.

Land Owner
07-11-2022, 06:10 PM
We had a one-month, eye popping, City water/sewer bill spike from $43 to $1300 for 90K-gallons across the meter in 2018. After repair, we settled with the City for $325. They knew their sewer plant did not receive our discharge and removed that portion from their bill.

A company was hired, which found the leak under the concrete slab and fiberglass of the Master Bath shower insert in a 1975 built house I inherited. Their prognosis was $1800 for finding and repairing the leak. No repair of gypsum walls, concrete floor, or fiberglass shower. No guarantee future leaks would be "solved" by this repair. Future leaks would be charged at $1800 each.

Or, $3100 to repipe water throughout the whole house via the walls; to all sinks (3), both toilets, bathtub, shower, hot water heater, and eliminate future leak(s) under the slab.

We were, at that time, on the fence about flipping the house. That water leak repair and agreeable $3100 started a cumulative $60K remodel in mid-2018. We ripped out and rebuilt the shower in tile, ceramic bathtub, toilets, sinks, hot water heater, et al, ourselves and received a $500 discount off of the water repiping. We rebuilt the inside of the house, tore out walls, opened up space, removed popcorn ceilings for skip trowel, new kitchen and bath cabinets, new appliances, AC, hardwood flooring, carpet, both bathrooms gutted and rebuilt, paint, etc.

Covid in 2019 killed real estate sales for 2 years thereafter! All is well that ends well. We made 3X our investment on the resale in late 2021.

Half Dog
07-11-2022, 06:41 PM
I don’t care what the problem is. I’ve tried plumbing enough to know I hate doing it. I call the man when anything plumbing related comes up.

tinsnips
07-11-2022, 07:38 PM
Ouch guys i have been a plumber for 44 years you get use to it.

xs11jack
07-11-2022, 08:43 PM
But tinsnipes how long does that take?? A while back the 19 yr old daughter of the couple across the street from me is house sitting for her parents vacation. She comes over and sniffles that the master bath toilet is plugged up can you help? wife and I go over there and find the toilet really is plugged, with paper towels, right up to the top of the bowel. More towels and water on the floor. I happen to have a home owners snake and fought my way thru the mess. She told my wife that she probably used up a whole roll to clean it out and unplug it. We have known the folks
living there for a long time and they are great people and that is what stopped me from sending a bill for about a gazillion dollars! I do truly hate plumbing.
Ole Jack

Hannibal
07-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Sometimes there just aren't enough paper towels. :veryconfu

contender1
07-11-2022, 10:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of plumbing issues,, but it beats the heck out of electrical issues. Electricity can bite you & you can't see it.
Yes,,, I DO know to kill the power & all,, but the fear of "what if" always gives me the willies.

Plumbing,, it can be nasty, stinky, ugly, and truly a head scratching job. So,, I'll share my worst plumbing repair job.

I was hired,, by a municipal city sewer system to assist them in a repair of a tank. Apparently,, they had lost a heavy steel grate in one of their "rake tanks." A 10' deep concrete circular tank that processes the sewer waste from the city. The grate,, had fallen in, and lodged in a rake tine. It weighed about 200 lbs.
As a professional diver,, I was hired to get into the tank, and by feel only,, find, dislodge & attach a pull cable to this steel piece.

About 30 minutes in the tank, and about 2-1/2 hrs of sanitizing & cleaning of me & my equipment.

Yes,, I used a completely sealed suit & helmet system. But I can honestly say "I've been in more peoples s**t at one time than anybody else locally."

Land Owner
07-12-2022, 04:49 AM
^^^ and why they pay you the big bucks...or should. Hazardous Duty.

There is NO doubt about it. We are capable, as engineers and scientists, of cleaning human wastewater BETTER than the groundwater that is withdrawn for potable water use. The Public WILL NOT get past the stigma that treated wastewater was once human wastewater, EVEN THOUGH every drop of water on this planet has been through a digestive system MANY TIMES.

Septic tanks, treatment plant discharge, et al, is RECHARGE for the potable water system. Matter, including water, is neither created nor destroyed. Ground dwelling bacteria EAT WASTE for breakfast and eliminate its hazards. Do not try to educate the Public. They WILL NOT hear the message.

Mal Paso
07-12-2022, 10:38 AM
Professionally, I draw the line now at "used water". I found a knit scarf in a drain once but most of the time when people call for a drain cleaning they really need a backhoe so I try to stay on my side of the p-trap.

alamogunr
07-12-2022, 12:10 PM
"A man has to know his limitations." We had our house built in 1969. We've always had trouble with 2 toilets. After spending about $300 total having a plumber use a snake to clear the obstructions, I bought one for myself and haven't had to pay anyone since. I've also learned that the transition fitting could be the problem. Only certain fittings are approved for vertical to horizontal transition from a toilet. I will gladly pay for this situation to be corrected.

imashooter2
07-12-2022, 12:31 PM
Ouch guys i have been a plumber for 44 years you get use to it.

Not a plumber myself, but have a friend who is. His best story is breaking the sewer pipe in the elevator shaft of an apartment building in Philadelphia. Of course they had gone through the building and told everyone that they were going to work and please don’t flush…

Says he had the pipe open and was working when he heard it coming. "All I could do was turn my back and stand in the corner."

.429&H110
07-12-2022, 07:54 PM
I worked for a small town plumber who promised me:
If you cut yourself on porcelain you will die of infection.
Porcelain makes nasty razor sharp shards quickly.
You can bolt a bowl down to the floor and stand on it, but if you tap it it will shatter.
Porcelain pilot is a well-paying job, these days, worth every dollar.

lightman
07-12-2022, 09:24 PM
I'm another that hates working on plumbing. Every would be simple job requires multiple trips to Lowes.

DocSavage
07-12-2022, 09:37 PM
I've had my house 35+ years and for 30 years every 18 months like clock work had to call a plumber to clear the line to the street. Get a call one day from my wife house next door has sewerage from my house going into his cellar. After considerable time and money turned out tha the 2 houses and small building around my house were the problem. Being on the end of
the line I got to pay for clearing the line to the street. My house was built mid 1800s and the building around my house were tied to a single line to the street and owned by the family that owned my house.

After finding out the problem spent $10,000 to capoff the line and reroute my line to the street. The other 2 houses and the building next door had to do same don't know what they spent.

Geezer in NH
07-13-2022, 12:54 AM
Son and I dig the septic tank cover every 2 years so the pumper guy can get at it to pump the tank.

Pumping every two years save replacing the leech field every 5 or 6. $250.00 every two years way cheaper than $10,000 for a new leach field. I call it the rural sewer cost.

Randy Bohannon
07-13-2022, 06:00 AM
While visiting in-laws young Son about 3 years old had been playing with a basket of plastic fruit and managed to drop a fake apple in their toilet and flush it. So the toilet would be real slow and overfill and flood the bathroom. So Father in law pulls the toilet takes it outside puts it on a bench. For months everyone tried to figure out what was causing the problem . Mother in law puts a hose in the bowl and the water is enough to show the bobbing fake red plastic apple is bouncing around enough to see it. She turns the water off the plastic apple falls to the flange which it won’t pass grab it with a pair of pliers and pulls it out. That Son is still reminded of that Fromm time to time as his kids grow up, two girls it’s gonna happen.

Froogal
07-13-2022, 10:17 AM
I'm another that hates working on plumbing. Every would be simple job requires multiple trips to Lowes.

BINGO!!! Makes no difference just how big your supply of fittings and other parts is, you will ALWAYS need one little part that you do not have.

Hannibal
07-13-2022, 10:51 AM
BINGO!!! Makes no difference just how big your supply of fittings and other parts is, you will ALWAYS need one little part that you do not have.

I used to live in a rural area and it was an hour one way to get plumbing parts. I bought extra fittings every time and kept what I didn't need in a large box. Once in a while I'd get lucky and wouldn't have to make a trip at all. Having those extra fittings around was cheap insurance against multiple trips. A bit off topic but if I needed auto parts and there was more than one possible match I got one of each and returned the stuff I didn't need the next time I had to make a trip. You wind up with all kinds of stuff you don't necessarily need laying around 'just in case'. I don't miss that particular part of rural living at all.

ulav8r
07-13-2022, 09:53 PM
My daughter can plug up a toilet without putting anything that doesn't belong in it. Had her learn to use a plunger by the time she was 10 to 12. She has gotten a plunger or two as Christmas gifts.

jonp
07-14-2022, 05:22 PM
I once removed a cleanout at my parents' house many years ago, they have long since passed.
Anyway, the kitchen sink was blocked up, already ran a hose into the vent to flush it loose, but that failed, my mom yelled to shut off the water as the trap blew out and flooded the kitchen.
Back to the cleanout. Well....what an interesting experience I never want to go thru again!
With the cleanout removed I witnessed a steady drip...drip...drip of water. Thought about it a bit then I came up with a brilliant idea!
I had my work truck with me, so I went out and retrieved my fish tape for running cable.
I ran that tape up the pipe and jiggled it a bit, all of the sudden all hell broke loose.
I gasped with my mouth wide open, and it hit me square in the face.
It seems a squirrel climbed into the vent and died there.

I did something similar at a girlfriends house. It was my first and only introduction to a bladder infection i hope to never repeat and i have cut 2 fingers off with a chainsaw.

jonp
07-14-2022, 05:27 PM

Pro Tip: buy everything you might think you need even if your not sure then return the unused. Hard learned lesson from someone that lived miles from a plumbing place. Also, buy two of the common things if your budget allows it to save a trip.
At my hunting camp i have enough spare parts in my shed to run all new gas lines with fittings if i have to and the tools to do it

Pipefitter
07-14-2022, 09:29 PM
My daughter can plug up a toilet without putting anything that doesn't belong in it. Had her learn to use a plunger by the time she was 10 to 12. She has gotten a plunger or two as Christmas gifts.

Time to get a pogo stick and replace the rubber tip with a plunger,,, I get the funniest looks when I pull that out of the truck to clear a plugged drain.

Walks
07-14-2022, 10:13 PM
When I was 8-9yrs old, My (Mother's) Grandfather dropped his glasses into the toilet at our house. The next day I was out on the back lawn with My Dad trying to get the glasses out of the dismounted toilet. My small hands finally did the job.

I learned to swear that day. Had never heard My Dad swear until then or ever again.
And I haven't learned any new swear words to add to those I learned that day and
I'm 68yrs old, spent 4yrs in the U.S. Navy and 4yrs working construction.

Froogal
07-15-2022, 10:08 AM
Pro Tip: buy everything you might think you need even if your not sure then return the unused. Hard learned lesson from someone that lived miles from a plumbing place. Also, buy two of the common things if your budget allows it to save a trip.
At my hunting camp i have enough spare parts in my shed to run all new gas lines with fittings if i have to and the tools to do it

No. I never return any unused pieces. Eventually, those pieces WILL be needed.

I ALWAYS keep at least 2 kits for replacing toilet tank parts. Good thing too, because one toilet developed issues late last Christmas eve. I shut off the water and we went to bed. Guess what I did early on Christmas morning? If I hadn't had the foresight to have repair parts on hand, that particular toilet would have been out of commision for several days.

skrapyard628
07-15-2022, 04:25 PM
Ive got no problems doing plumbing work. Spent time working for a guy that restored houses that were over 100yrs old. We upgraded all the electrical and plumbing in them so Ive seen a bit. The funniest didnt involve me, but the scrap guy that was carousing the area.

We already had problems with him trying to take materials out of the garage, smashing the concrete off fence posts and leaving the mess in the driveway...etc. Well, I had just cut out all of the 6" cast soil pipe and replaced it with PVC.

I neatly stacked all the pipe at the end of the driveway and we waited until we saw our "favorite" scrapper come by to try and nab it. Did I mention a lot of the pipe segments still had a bit of waste still in them? Well, the guy was chucking pieces of it into the back of his truck when one that was a little more full than the others gave him a deluge of brown stinky water. A LOT of choice words in spanish came out of his mouth as he flailed around ripping his now soiled shirt off. He saw me and another worker laughing our butts off while watching this so he flipped us the bird, got in his truck, and left.

Never saw him back there at that job site again.

Wild Bill 7
07-15-2022, 09:58 PM
My neighbor was mowing his yard last week and chopped off a pipe that capped for his house water. I think it used to be foe his sprinkler system that is not in use anymore. I was doing some reloading in my garage I heard an awful sound and some choice words, he comes over and wants to borrow the tool to turn off the water. Got the water off and got out my supply of pvc connections, elbows and assorted inserts I found a sleeve that was the right size but no cap. So he went to Lowes to get a cap and I got the pipe ready and we got it fixed. He was so thankful cause he didn’t have to call a plumber at that time in the evening. Worked out good for him and I’m glad to have helped him out.

Geezer in NH
07-19-2022, 03:20 PM
My friend owns his plumbing company. He has 3 crews besides himself and helper. He HATES plumbing wants to do something else so for the past 15 years or so he overprices bids by 50% and they keep accepting them so he can't Quit.