PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits in a Dillon 450

Shuz
07-10-2022, 05:00 PM
I have recently discovered that a Lee factory crimp die gives me excellent groups when used for my .250 Savage bolt action
rifle.
I would like to incorporate the Lee FCD in station #4 .In order to do this I need to find a way to expand and bell the mouth with my powder die. Does anyone know where I can buy a powder funnel that would accomplish this?

Shiloh
07-10-2022, 05:13 PM
Dillon perhaps?? $20-$25 Call Dillon. .257 is probably the ticket. 800-223-4570

Shiloh

Kraschenbirn
07-10-2022, 05:34 PM
Are you using the Dillon powder measure drop-tube for a .25 caliber that comes as a part of the .250 Savage/.25-06/.257 Roberts conversion kit? The drop-tube that came with my (1980s-vintage DL450) .308/.30-06 conversion can be adjusted to flare the case mouth by setting the powder measure a little deeper in the frame...but mine is one of the original Dillon manual powder measures, too. Don't know about current 450s or later model powder measures.

Bill

Larry Gibson
07-10-2022, 09:14 PM
On my 550B (Improved M450) when loading cast bullets into rifle cases that the Dillon powder funnel does not expand and flair the case mouth. I size (either FL or NS) the cases in a single stage press or stage 1 on the Dillon. The Primer pockets are then cleaned, and the cases inspected for inside debris. Then I use a Lyman M-die at station 1.

sigep1764
07-10-2022, 10:36 PM
This^^^. Only way with a 4 station press and bottleneck rifle cases.

45_Colt
07-11-2022, 08:59 AM
This gentleman may be able to help:

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/index.html

Note that he makes one for the 30 caliber rifle cartridges. May be easy enough to make one for the .250 Savage cartridge.

45_Colt

Shuz
07-11-2022, 07:40 PM
I tried caing Dillon today and they are having "technical difficulties " and have a message that indicates longer than normal wait times.
I held on for 30 minutes and then gave up. The other source is "out of service "until mid July sometime.

Shuz
07-11-2022, 07:49 PM
For those that may not be familiar with the Dillon 450-550 series of loaders, they only have 4 stations, and therefore I am trying to combine the mouth belling and powder charging with one die so that I can eliminate the Lyman "M" die. There's probably someone out there that makes such a powder thru die. In fact Dillon makes such a part for loading 9mm's on the 450! It appears that I need a modified Dillon "K" insert instead of the straight one I have now.

45_Colt
07-11-2022, 08:35 PM
I must be stupid...

Note that he makes one for the 30 caliber rifle cartridges. May be easy enough to make one for the .250 Savage cartridge.

45_Colt

Larry Gibson
07-12-2022, 10:40 AM
For those that may not be familiar with the Dillon 450-550 series of loaders, they only have 4 stations, and therefore I am trying to combine the mouth belling and powder charging with one die so that I can eliminate the Lyman "M" die. There's probably someone out there that makes such a powder thru die. In fact Dillon makes such a part for loading 9mm's on the 450! It appears that I need a modified Dillon "K" insert instead of the straight one I have now.

Shuz

I have been using the 550 for 30+ years and load multiple different cartridges, both rifle and handgun, on it. The handgun and straight or minimal taper powder funnels are also the neck expander for the case. For bottle neck cartridges with the expander on the decap rod in station one the powder funnel [it's called "funnel" because that's all it is] fits over the outside of the case neck and does not expand the inside of the neck. I suppose any machinist could make one that does fit inside the neck but given the thickness needed I doubt powder would flow efficiently through it, if at all, given a small 250 Savage case neck.

Your solution is to FL or NS size, clean the lube off the cases and clean the primer pockets as a separate operation. Then use and M-Die in station 1 to expand/flare the case mouth and prime. It will go faster than you think. With such a small case neck I doubt there is any other way. Powder bridging on a progressive press can not only be messy but can be dangerous as well.

Shuz
07-12-2022, 11:46 AM
I must be stupid...

45_Colt

45_Colt-- I will contact him after July 25th!
Thanks

Shuz
07-12-2022, 12:02 PM
Larry--I believe a powder thru funnel like the ones Dillon has for straight walled cases could be made and would work. I have a Dillon powder funnel "A" that fits the .22-250 and I measured the inside and believe if powder of the right style like my beloved Reloder 7 will flowvthru it, powder would also flow thru a funnel made so that it would bell the case mouth as the straight walled cases.
Presently I have my neck sizer in Station one, Lyman "M" die in Station 2, powder measure in Station 3, and seater in Station 4. I then have to use the Lee factory crimp die in a separate operation.
As you can see, I am just trying to eliminate a separate operation, whether it is at the front as you do, or at the finish as I do.
Dillon still has phone problems, so I will wait until that clears or July 25th when the Photo Escape guy returns.
Thanks for the help!