PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard of a Tower BP pistol?

mikenbarb
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
I got an interesting single shot flintlock pistol today and it is made by Tower or its the model name. Has anyone ever heard of these, It looks almost like a 12 gauge bore and mics out to .676dia. with the old Pirate looking furniture on it. It also has a crown with a G R under it right under the flash pan and Japan with E/G on the barrel. Thanks and any help would be appreciated. I would love to get this thing in working order because it looks to be in good shape and any charge recomendations would be great. I will post pics later on. Thanks.

****See pics below****

Willbird
01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
A "Tower Pistol" is named after the Tower of London maybe ?? Many cheaper flintlocks suffer from geometry problems and soft frizzons that prevent them from firing every time. I had a bud who had one of those Tower Pistols when I was a teenager, it would fire about 1 time out of 5 tries, and it kicked like a mule thus giving you a flinch :-).

Bill

missionary5155
01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Greetings
What you have is a Jap repro of the British .68 Horse pistol.. but a short barrel model. Most the Jap models are well made as far as materials. Wood is probably a stained birch type. Probably your barrel should rather thick looking which is the best.
But they are FUN. If you want a varment gun(close up) a one ounce load of #6 on top of 60 grains 2F will smack whatever out to 15 yards. I use newspaper for wads... overpowder and over shot about 1/4 inch thick or more. Just wad it up and smash it down. 3f seems to work OK in the pan.
A patched ball (I go snug fit) over 50- 60 grains 2F will probably terminate most any critter you would want to pop. You can use realisticly any ball size you can patch. Lighter balls fly a bit faster. I have not tried buckshot... but BB penetrates cans at 25 yards... but the pattern is getting rather thin.
Then there are washers, pea gravel, .... These tend to make interesting whistling noises. They may also "Rough up" the bore a little.
So have fun... Make your self a simple holster of canvas and you are set.
God Bless you Mike

mikenbarb
01-26-2009, 06:23 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/002-24.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/003-24.jpg

Thank you much missionary, I appreciate it. Is this the same one you shoot?
Here it is and I looked it over good and its made well considering its made in Japan. Everything is nice and tight and the bore is in excellent condition with no rust or pitting. It doesnt look like its ever been fired and just sat around as a wallhanger in someones den.

mikenbarb
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/007-9.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/008-9.jpg
Heres the bore size. I put a nickle next to it for comparison. Its a cannon!

missionary5155
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Yep thats the one.. Well you are gonna need a Flint... measure the flizzen for width.. probably a 1 " but a 3/4 will work to check the hardness of the frizzen. To narrow will groove your frizzen. Are the springs good and stiff ?
Mike

mikenbarb
01-26-2009, 08:26 PM
I got the flint and took it out to clean it good before I shoot it. The springs are all good but the trigger needs a come along to pull it.LOL. Its a hard trigger so im gonna work on that some to see if I can make it a lighter pull. The more I hold this cannon the more I like it. Is there any way to attach sights to this besides silver soldering them on? Im even just thinking of drilling and tapping it for just a front bead sight because im going to shoot it most with birdshot at close ranges.
Would you be able to use 12 gauge wads in this or are they too big and what does yours have for a cocking extension on the hammer? What you see in the pics is all mine has and it looks like something is missing from the hammer like a spur of some sort??

missionary5155
01-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Greetings
12 G wads are fine... Do you mean the Plastic wads used in shotshells? I never tried those. But the fiber wads are OK. Start with a 50 Gr load and work up as the regular wads will seal better and give you better patterns.
Sights could be Accu-glased or JB- Weld attached.
Mike

freedom475
01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
That one looks just like mine....Hammer looks like that too. Trigger pull is about 15lbs, at least:mrgreen: So much fun I pack mine all the time.... The way that the grip is shaped I have to point very low of what you might think. I was always going to put a shotgun bead on mine but it would shoot 2ft. high of the bead.

RayinNH
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Mike, I have the same gun as yours. It sits on my reloading bench as a conversation piece. My trigger also requires two men and a boy to release.
I would forget the sights as you'll never hit anything with it anyway unless you use shot. They don't call them flinchlocks for nothing.:-D...Ray

mikenbarb
01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
LOL, This thing keeps sounding better and better every minute. Im going to load her up tommorow with some BP, felt wads and #4 shot and go raise some hell with the barn pigeons.:Fire:
missionary, What thickness of felt wads are you using with your shot loads? I have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" in feltran Blue Streaks and 1/4 and 1/2"over powder cards.

Buckshot
01-27-2009, 02:54 AM
................If I'm not mistaken the E-G on the barrel is a Belgium proof marking.

..............Buckshot

NoDakJak
01-27-2009, 05:08 AM
These were a rather common item during the sixties and early seventies, being sold by several different companies and from the few that I observed were manufactured by more than one different contractor. I had been planning to buy one but a test report stated that the frizzen on their test gun had not been hardned and it was worthless as a shooter. I took the money and added a few more to it and brought home a 1917 Colt with Canadian markings and had been rechambered to 45 Colt. I loaded it with shot and after it successfully removed the kinks from a number of "LARGE" California Diamondbacks I decided that I had made a wise decsion. A number of these were also sold as decorators rather than shooters. Hope this sheds a little light. Neil

missionary5155
01-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Good morning
Over powder wad... I am not real scientific with my loads. Over the powder I Use whatever I have handy and wadded newspaper seems just as good. Over the shot again all you need is anything that will keep the shot in place snug on the powder.
I used to think there was a need to use purpose made items for muzzleloading. But some years ago I read the account of a Revolution Battle at a Church in New Jersey ( I have the book up in my office) . The troops were formed about the Church and the British were firing at them. As time went on an officer approached the Preacher (who also it seems was actively involved) and stated " Were out of wadding preacher".. Upon which the Preacher went inside and returned with some hymn books and loudly anounced "then give them some Isaac Watts boys" ... Upon which the hymn books were torn apart and pages wadded and stuffed down barrels.
So from there I decided any paper, any hornets nest, any dry wad of leaves.... Whatever is handy. Your barrel is so short it just is not going to matter a whole lot. I would use the thicker wad on the powder and the thinner over the shot. The goal is to keep the powder in place seperatred from the shot which is also snugly help in place.
My test for "Usefullness" is to turn the barrel down and try to shake the load loose with a couple of rapid up and down movements. If it holds in place that will suffice to carry about. Newspaper snugly packed will carry in a holster all day. If your wads fit the barrel snugly it should do the same.
Mike

crabo
01-27-2009, 08:52 AM
For a front sight, you might try one of the stick-on shotgun beads, It would probably be too low, but it's a thought. You could also always take it off if you wanted.

Bret4207
01-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Dude, you GOTTA put a laser or some optical sight on it! The post pics all over the web! PLEASE?!?!?!

Willbird
01-27-2009, 10:07 AM
If the frizzon is too soft it can be case hardened with casenite

MT Gianni
01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
A "Tower Pistol" is named after the Tower of London maybe ?? Many cheaper flintlocks suffer from geometry problems and soft frizzons that prevent them from firing every time. I had a bud who had one of those Tower Pistols when I was a teenager, it would fire about 1 time out of 5 tries, and it kicked like a mule thus giving you a flinch :-).

Bill

My belief was if they were storming the Tower a guard could fire shot or ball down the stairs defending it. Sights would only be a distraction.

mikenbarb
01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/008-10.jpg
Now im ready for some squirrel hunting.LOL.

mikenbarb
01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
From what I have seen so far, The frizzen on this isnt that soft and its pretty hard. I dont think im worried about it wearing out because its replacable and looks close to a T/C frizzen and can be easily modified a little to fit it. I also can use case hardening powder I have made by Harris/Welco. Its great stuff!
I was going to load this today and shoot it but 12 gauge wads are too tight and 20's are too small so im gonna get some 16's cut and go at it tommorow with some filled up milkjugs.

missionary5155
01-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Good morning
AAAAWWWWW Come on and stuff it with newspaper .... Have you not read the back pages of the Dixie Arms catalog....Read up on the Beeev trapers. If you are lacking newspaper dig about the garbage and come up with some dried potato shavings. Toilet paper, klenex, paper towel, old rag ( squeeze most the oil out) shirt tail, socks, old canvas patches off the next tent to yours .... never remove your own old patches.
This smoke pole of yours is gonna git spoiled with the first shot and become rebelious and have to be subdued by some British regular lobster back....
But seriously I hesistate to tell ya what a Michigan river running teen ager found could be used as wading in a muzzleloader... My dad shot an old .69 and would cringe when I told him how that ol´crow died and what load "fell him from the tall oak".... dad never let me take his .69 out by myself either. Oh well enough of this....
Have fun ! Makes me wanna get another length of 3/4 water pie and a chunck of wood for a handle... Mike

Bret4207
01-28-2009, 09:28 AM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/008-10.jpg
Now im ready for some squirrel hunting.LOL.

OH YEAH!!!! Eat yer heart out Chucky Schumer!!!:mrgreen::drinks:

mikenbarb
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Missionary, It worked!!! This thing is a blast and I loaded with what you said, Newspaper wads.LOL. And I used 16 gauge Lyman HB slugs with T/C lube packed in the bases(Didnt need it but it worked better with it). I started it off with 50gr. and im up to 60gr. and this thing is definatly a BIG smoking cannon!LOL. I put a 5 gallon pail filled with water and paced off 15 yards. Well, The first 2 shots missed but the 3rd connected after I got the sighting down(Ha Ha Ha!). The bucket definatly lost and it blew all over the place with water flying everywhere. Im going to try to get a pic of the slug hitting the pail with water and post it here because it looked awesome with stuff flying all over.:drinks:

missionary5155
01-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Greetings Mike That is fantastic ! These horse pistols were designed (origonally with 12"+ barrels) to stick in the face more or less of too close intruders. The navies used them to repel boarders and board enemy vessels. Shotgun type loads were favored as aiming was not really needed. A belt buckle aim was all it took.
Great FUN and after you have loaded it and fired it several dozen times you will have the confidence your trusted hand cannnon will properly defend you. And think NO Primers !
Mike

mikenbarb
01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh, I know for sure this would definatly defend my whole yard with one shot.LOL. Im going to try some #2 buck tommorow and thinking 26 pellets should do it. Have you ever used Pyrodex Select on any other type besides straight BP in yours?:Fire:

Maven
01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
MIkeB, Sorry to intrude on this thread, but Pyrodex and flintlocks aren't a good combination. Reason being the ignition temperature of Pyrodex is quite a bit higher than that of BP. Stick with FFFg in the pan and FFg as your main charge, maybe FFFg if you use a lower charge.

mikenbarb
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Maven, Please feel free to jump in at any time and thank you much for your reply. I dont know flintlocks that well so I asked before I used it so I dont have any problems. Im glad I asked.:-D

Hardcast416taylor
01-29-2009, 04:02 AM
I remember these things being offered in gun mags back in the 60`s and even the 50`s. for $29. They were listed as .69 cal. horse pistols. My brother got one I located a lyman mold for it and cast up a bunch of rb`s. We fired it about 5 times if memory serves and decided to never shoot that wrist breaker again! I`ve still got the mold, don`t know why though. :castmine: Robert

OldBob
01-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Mike, not trying to be a smart a**, but just be sure your load and wads fit tightly enough so there is no chance of them moving forward and creating an air gap. I'd hate to see you blow up that laser guided assault pistol !

mikenbarb
01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks Bob and I double and tripple check always because im not up on flintlocks much. That sight was put next to it for a pic for Bret.LOL. It looks wild and might actually improve the accuracy of this thing.haha, Joking.:drinks:
Robert, It definatly pulls your wrist around a couple times.

Ghugly
01-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I remember these things being offered in gun mags back in the 60`s and even the 50`s. for $29. They were listed as .69 cal. horse pistols. My brother got one I located a lyman mold for it and cast up a bunch of rb`s. We fired it about 5 times if memory serves and decided to never shoot that wrist breaker again! I`ve still got the mold, don`t know why though. :castmine: Robert

I remember a gun mag from the late '60's or early '70's doing an article on the Tower flintlock and declaring it to be the worlds most powerful pistol. The pictures of the smoke, flame, and recoil sure made it look the part.

superc
04-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Of course the originals are worth 10s of thousands of dollars and you probably lose $10G eacj time you shoot one. These Tower pistols were the standard British sidearm in the time of the Revolutionary war and remained so from 1760 to about 1820 or so. Thousands made under royal contract and issued world wide, so they were in every country. We used captured stocks of them too in the early days of the USA until we got our own arsenals up so we could make our own copies.
Many mail order houses (Sears & Roebuck, Manufrance, etc) sold them cheap world wide in the early 1900s when no one wanted flint locks anymore. In the 1960s they had begun to be recognized as collectable antiques and Dixie Gun works made and sold thousands of shootable replicas. Yes, cheap wall hanger only replicas were also imported from Asian countries and made of pot metal. I believe Uberti also did a run of them in the 1980s.

Hopefully what you have been trying to blow up was/is one of the better replicas and not an original. Since the English had hand made parts from different makers sent to the Tower of London (thereby the name Tower) for assembly, much variation between specimens exist. Truly only careful examination of the markings and other subtelties can discern a $150 fake from a $59,000 original.

Bmi48219
04-27-2016, 12:00 AM
My dad gave me a Tower pistol when I was 15. Still have it and a mold for casting round balls. Haven't shot it in years but clean and oil it regularly. My trigger is pretty light in comparison. Four or four & a half pounds. It seemed like a one second wait between pulling the trigger and the charge going off.

Col4570
04-27-2016, 12:35 AM
If the Frizzen will not harden enough,Use a piece of thin Springsteel shaped to fit the contours,heat the piece to cherry red and quench in Water,remove scale,de greese both surfaces and epoxy resin two part mix the parts together this should give you a brilliant spark when you fit a nice sharp Flint.Many shooters use either Lead or Leather to hold the Flint,I have recently taken to using Felt for this duty and find that it holds firmer than the two other materials.I do,nt know if you can buy thin felt cleaning cloths over there but they are ideal for this purpose,one cloth will make a lifetime supply,the rest of the pack are good for cleaning patches.

fast ronnie
04-27-2016, 11:25 AM
My tower is a .40 caliber and is a percussion gun. I wish it was a rock gun, though. The kit cost me $10 at a garage sale about 35 years ago.

Earlwb
04-27-2016, 09:53 PM
I have a pistol that looks like that one, but it doesn't say it is a "Tower" pistol though. It is also made in Japan. Mine is .69 caliber and the 16 guage power shot column power pistons fit just right in the barrel. But what I like to do is cast and fire the .69 caliber minie balls in it. The .69 minie ball weighs in at 750 grains. I do need to re-case harden the frizzen on mine though, I wore most of it off out shooting it.

Ilwil
04-28-2016, 12:30 AM
Mine looks good, but like this one, and has never been shot, and it likely never will. The hammer springs are so weak, the flint barely hits the frizzen. I saw another discussion years ago like this one, and someone knowledgeable said about half were tp be shootable, and the remainder were made as wall hangers only.