PDA

View Full Version : Tired of my Single Stage...........what next?

Stopsign32v
07-09-2022, 02:33 PM
Should I get a Lee turret press or what? Been using my Lee single stage for the past 10 years. Getting tired of changing out dies and setting them up. I don't want to spend too much but what is a good choice next?

super6
07-09-2022, 02:37 PM
Depends on what your wanting to load,...

Stopsign32v
07-09-2022, 02:46 PM
Depends on what your wanting to load,...

9mm, .223, 30-30, 45 Colt, 45ACP, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 44-40, 44 Special, 44 Mag, etc, etc, etc, etc...

super6
07-09-2022, 03:05 PM
A Dillon would be my first pick...$$$$

Stopsign32v
07-09-2022, 03:30 PM

Ok I'm looking for helpful advice.

I don't want to spend too much but what is a good choice next?

Randy Bohannon
07-09-2022, 03:31 PM
RCBS Turret press, try something green. I don’t think I’ll ever need another press,less flex when you might need it than the Lee. Progressive press Dillon no question.

super6
07-09-2022, 03:38 PM
You get what you pay for, Good luck!

36g
07-09-2022, 03:40 PM
They all pretty much will work, within their individual limitations. I started with an RCBS single stage then added a Dillon 450, then a RCBS 5-stage, then a Dillon upgrade to 550 then bit the bullet and got a couple of Dillon 1050's (for commercial loading). Dropped back to an RCBS Rockchucker which I find I use more now - just easier to change out dies for the smaller runs of the oddball calibers that I load now. 1050's are set up for .223 and .308 at the moment but can do a change out for .30-06, 8mm Mauser, 9mm and .45 pretty quickly.

Stopsign32v
07-09-2022, 03:51 PM
Honestly now I'm looking at the Lee Pro 1000 or Pro 4000. For less than $300 I'm into progressive loading...Hmmm

36g
07-09-2022, 03:57 PM
The only one that I've had a bad experience with was the Dillon 450. I was using it to form and load blank ammo to include a star crimp. Being an aluminum casting I broke part of it. Dillon replaced the broken frame but I then upgraded to an iron frame press. Haven't had any issues with any since then. I discontinued using an aluminum frame for making blanks but they work okay for regular cartridge reloading.

Txcowboy52
07-09-2022, 04:00 PM
I personally like Dilion, I have 2 of them……….a lot of truth to the old saying, buy once cry once. Or in my case twice!!

dannyd
07-09-2022, 04:01 PM
Get a new Lee single stage with quick change dies. Or if you can convert your press to the LNL bushing setup. Set the die once and forget it.

The Dillion is going to cost a great deal of money to do what you want. You would need 9 different tool heads and that gets expensive.

Sold my SDB and 550 purchased a Hornady LNL; easier and cheaper to just snap a die in and out or change the shell plate.

Also depends on how many rounds you load a year; I do about 12,000.

threett1
07-09-2022, 04:01 PM
I have a Dillon 550b and a Redding T7. If you are not a competition shooter the T7 is all you would ever need. Brute strong and precise. With the line up of calibers you load you will have several dollars in setting up each one. If you have the dies for each you are good to go with a turret. T7 will last forever.

jetinteriorguy
07-09-2022, 04:27 PM
The Lee Classic Cast turret. I can’t speak to all the calibers you listed, but I’ve loaded excellent ammo in .223, .357, .38sp, .41mag, 9mm, and 7.62x39. It’s a simple, reliable, rugged piece of equipment at a reasonable price. I’ve added two upgrades to mine from Inline Fabrication, the roller handle and case ejector system. You can crank out a fair amount of ammo in a short time without all the complicated stuff involved with progressive loaders.

ShooterAZ
07-09-2022, 04:52 PM
You could also keep an eye out in the S&S section for a used Dillon 550. I see them pop up on occasion.

Winger Ed.
07-09-2022, 05:42 PM
A progressive is a obvious choice, but if you don't like them and have room on the bench-
mount a couple more single stage ones.

Or get a LNL Hornady with the quick change bushings.

Electrod47
07-09-2022, 06:02 PM
Lee Classic Turret, so affordable I have 3 set up in a row. 38,44,45 dedicated for those calibers. I just set down and start pulling a handle. Of course I have a single stage also set up at the end for incidental work. And the Large Lee rock-crusher type for 45/70, 300 win mag, etc.
The Lee has always treated me good.

1hole
07-09-2022, 06:06 PM
IMHO, anyone who breaks ANY commercially available press is doing something badly wrong, they are all over-made for common reloading chores.

Bird
07-09-2022, 06:50 PM
I use a lee pro 1000. with case and bullet feeders. Sometimes it flies along, and other times its a PITA.
Recently, I have taken to priming off the press with a lee hand held primer. I initially load the case feeder, then just size and deprime on the press, then after hand priming run them through again adding powder and bullets. Still fast, and less problems.
Midway and Titan have some on sale with lower prices.

36g
07-09-2022, 07:33 PM
IMHO, anyone who breaks ANY commercially available press is doing something badly wrong, they are all over-made for common reloading chores.

I'll agree with the presses being suitable for common reloading chores. Making blanks typically isn't a common reloading chore, especially if doing multiple case forming/resizing steps at one time on a multi-stage press. A Dillon 1050 will handle it, a Dillon 450 not so much.

beechbum444
07-09-2022, 07:41 PM
This conversation made me look at the lee classic turret and im impressed. i love my dillon 550 but i kinda think i was brain washed into thinking thats what i needed, kinda thinking ill add a lee classsic turret to my traveling reloading set up

kens
07-09-2022, 07:42 PM
I have the Lee old-school 3 hole turret press. I like it. It is a whole lot faster than single stage, inexpensive, and works fine in pistol calibers.
On large rifle like 30-06 full sizing, it feels anemic, but so what? Just use it to drop powder and seat bullet. Do your heavy sizing on single stage.
For pistol it is fine.
It does work like a single stage tho, but just having all the dies preset on the common turret does seem to make it faster.
the powder drop thru neck bell die is a big plus.

kens
07-09-2022, 07:48 PM
This conversation made me look at the lee classic turret and im impressed. i love my dillon 550 but i kinda think i was brain washed into thinking thats what i needed, kinda thinking ill add a lee classsic turret to my traveling reloading set up

Something I found and surprised me, I found a load that uses the same powder measure between 9mm & 45acp. yep, no swapping powder drop between 9mm and .45's.
Talk about something handy !!!

DocSavage
07-09-2022, 08:03 PM
I'm not real familiar with turret presses but I believe you can buy individual turret heads and set up your dies accordingly. I've 2 650s and a single stage for things that the Dillon isn't designed for.

Geezer in NH
07-09-2022, 08:14 PM
Dillon which one your choice. I have 2 turret presses and use them as a single stage then turn turret for next step. All it does is save setup time of the next die.

Stopsign32v
07-09-2022, 08:19 PM
For the price I think I'm going to grab the Lee Pro 4000. One thing I like about Lee is how many accessories are out there for them.

dannyd
07-09-2022, 08:42 PM
Looks cool, just take your time with it.

hawkeye1
07-09-2022, 09:25 PM
I’ve been using the old Lee three hole turret press, as a single stage, for close to thirty years. Been great press. I have loaded everything from 32acp to 45/70. I just recently bought a Lyman 8 hole turret press. The Lyman is built like a tank. No wiggle, no flex. Been wanting one for some time, finally got one. Also have a Dillon 1050 for 45 Colt in bulk.

dverna
07-10-2022, 07:56 AM
Always amazes me that people do not ask the important question...."How many rounds a year in each caliber?"

But it looks like you have made your choice...good luck.

NSB
07-10-2022, 08:42 AM
I have a Dillon 550b and a Redding T7. If you are not a competition shooter the T7 is all you would ever need. Brute strong and precise. With the line up of calibers you load you will have several dollars in setting up each one. If you have the dies for each you are good to go with a turret. T7 will last forever.
Totally agree with the Redding T7. I’ve owned three Dillons, an RCBS single, and now use my Redding exclusively. Unless you shoot a LOT (500+ per week) the Redding will fill all your needs and it’s a quality built press. Add an extra turret or two and you’re good to go for everything.

poppy42
07-10-2022, 11:35 AM
Dillon which one your choice. I have 2 turret presses and use them as a single stage then turn turret for next step. All it does is save setup time of the next die.

The. Lee classic turret can auto index. Also you can set up multiple Caliber Turrets that change out in about 5 seconds! It’s a lot faster than a typical turret press that you still have to adjust the dies when changing a caliber!

poppy42
07-10-2022, 11:42 AM
For the price I think I'm going to grab the Lee Pro 4000. One thing I like about Lee is how many accessories are out there for them.

I prefer the Lee classic cast turret. I don’t shoot enough of anyone particular caliber over the others to warrant a progressive press. But that’s just my preference.

Big Tom
07-10-2022, 12:09 PM
I have been using two LEE Loadmasters besides my single stage RCBS presses (IV and Rebel). If you want flawless operation, don't get into these - however, for loading 5k to 10k rounds a years, and not minding the re-tuning once in a while, these worked great for me. I am loading 9mm, .40, .44, .45 and .223 on the Loadmasters, other calibers (.500, 45/70 etc.), I use my single stage presses.

ukrifleman
07-10-2022, 12:13 PM
I load 15 calibres with a Lee classic turret and swapping out between calibres takes seconds once the dies are set up in their own turret.
I use the on-press Lee safety prime and with the indexing rod in place for pistol calibres, I can crank out 175+ rounds an hour without breaking into a sweat.
I remove the indexing rod when loading rifle calibres and just move the turret by hand which helps to monitor each stage.

ukrifleman.

derek45
07-10-2022, 12:43 PM
LEE makes some nice stuff, but there progressive reloaders are not reliable.

reliable is important.

do it right, get the DILLON XL650/XL750

https://i.imgur.com/r93QYSO.gif

txbirdman
07-10-2022, 01:17 PM
I do the same thing as ukrifleman and am totally satisfied with the Lee turret. The quick change from one caliber to the next is great.

3584ELK
07-10-2022, 02:04 PM
When I was in your spot, I bought a Redding Turret press and haven't looked back. Of course, its no Dillon but I can put 7 dies on each turret and spin the turret quickly to select the die I need. Comes in VERY handy for working up a new cartridge or forming cases (i.e. 45-70 to .33 WCF).

dannyd
07-10-2022, 04:28 PM
Dillion makes very good equipment and they definitely hold their resale value.

But a lot of guys buy one and then get the bill and end up selling them. I have seen a lot of 750's on the local gun trader.

Use what you can afford and like my Two LNL's will do anything that my SBD and 550 did.

I only a living for the guy's selling the equipment to US it's a hobby don't go in debt over it.

wilecoyote
07-10-2022, 05:44 PM
...a turret press on steroids.
priced accordingly, of course_

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrells-tooling-turret-press-by-henry-harrell

dswancutt
07-10-2022, 05:59 PM
If you don't like setting up dies on a single stage, you are going to hate setting up dies on a progressive press, especially to do a short run. You will have all the setup for a single stage plus setting up the powder measure and getting everything timed just so. I have 3 Hornady LNL progressives. One is set up for 45 Auto, the second 9mm, and the 3rd will most likely be 40 S&W. The 45 and the 9 are set up to load a specific bullet and powder charge. If I load for my BIL, or another caliber or different bullet, it's done on a single stage. Progressive presses in my mind only come into their own if you are loading over 250 rounds at a single setting. This is my observation, your results and other may be different.

kens
07-10-2022, 06:40 PM
I use the Lee 3-hole turret. Use it as a single stage press, yes.
But, I run 50 rounds per stage (common 50 round loading block)
As such, drop powder thru expander 50x,
then seat bullet 50x,
then crimp 50x
you can refine this to be rather fast, and the big deal is that any quality mistakes are SO EASY to fix

Rickf1985
07-10-2022, 07:45 PM
I have a Lee Pro 1000 and it works fairly well once it is set up perfectly. Getting it to that point can take some time hair pulling! The bullet feed system can be a real head scratcher. I finally made my own Z bar for it. Keep in mind that the 1000 is way out of date and parts for it are getting hard to come by, some will cross from other presses and some will not. I definitely load with a RCBS hand primer, the one for the press is worthless.

Lefty Red
07-11-2022, 07:07 AM
Helped a coworker’s father get set up reloading. His wants and needs sounded a lot like the OP’s. He wanted to get set up for about five or six calibers he wasn’t going to load much for, maybe 1K or less a year. He would shoot two calibers more than 2K a year. He is what he settled on:
1) Lee Classic Turret Press. He bought one of mine and got some more turret heads for 38sp, 357mag, 32l/s, and 45LC. I think the 38s will be his biggest producer, and he really wants to only do 50-100 rounds at a sitting. The others are more like 25-50 rounds per sitting as he shots them only a few times a year. He almost got a Lyman AA8, and that was what I was pushing him towards, but for just the Lyman’s price he got the whole set up for the LCT.
2) Dillon SDP. This is for his 9mms and 45ACP. He saved a lot of money by getting the LCT off of me and he put that money towards the SDP. He is getting a new press and then a conversation kit. I would almost get one of each, but since he will crank out enough rounds in a weekend for the year he wasn’t worried about the switch over. Still might get a Lee Auto Pro 4000 for the 45ACPs, but I’m thinking he won’t another after messing with the SDP. I like the 4000, really do, it’s a great press. But I would just go with the SDP if doing 2K or more a year in big batches over the winter months.
3) Online Purchases. This is for his 380s, he shots around 300 a year. He will split a case with me a year. Some caliber, even I don’t want to mess with.

As for the OP’s situation, I would suggest the Lyman AA8. You can get two sets of dies on one turret head, and extras aren’t crazy high. Very close second, the Lee Classic TurretPress. Just a little crowded on the turret head and I have found out I had to get different rings (added expense) for some of my dies to work. Lee does already has the smaller rings. I do not use the auto advance parts on my LCT, I just advance the turret head manually. So either press takes about the same amount of time. I just think the Lyman edges out the LCT due to having more room to work. And the older I get and the worse my hands gets, I find I appreciate that room more.

Lefty

mozeppa
07-11-2022, 08:04 AM
You get what you pay for, Good luck!

and many times , you don't

Dan Cash
07-11-2022, 08:51 AM

This.

lawdog941
07-11-2022, 10:51 AM
For the money, the Lee Pro 1K or 4K is a deal. Save the money for supplies.

tja6435
07-11-2022, 11:16 AM
I have a Lee Loadmaster, pretty sure I crushed more primers than actually got seated well. I went to hand priming and then running the primed cases through the Loadmaster. I don’t know how the new Lee progressive presses work with their primer seating now, but something to consider.

I moved up to a Dillon 650XL, the primer system is a dream compared to the Loadmaster’s. The Dillon was expensive, but I’ve never felt bad about how much $ I have into it, the tool heads, etc. I have a tool head for each caliber.

Soundguy
07-11-2022, 11:39 AM
I love my lee 4 hole turret press

mdatlanta
07-11-2022, 01:30 PM
The Lee Classic Cast turret. I can’t speak to all the calibers you listed, but I’ve loaded excellent ammo in .223, .357, .38sp, .41mag, 9mm, and 7.62x39. It’s a simple, reliable, rugged piece of equipment at a reasonable price. I’ve added two upgrades to mine from Inline Fabrication, the roller handle and case ejector system. You can crank out a fair amount of ammo in a short time without all the complicated stuff involved with progressive loaders.

This ^ ^

derek45
07-11-2022, 02:43 PM
If you don't like setting up dies on a single stage, you are going to hate setting up dies on a progressive press, especially to do a short run. ......

With DILLON, you simply keep each caliber on a toolhead.

(old pic, but you get the idea....)

https://i.imgur.com/W2RZ4y3.jpg

Soundguy
07-11-2022, 03:08 PM
Agreed.. I keep a stack of empty 4 hole lee tool heads on hand. Have 12 populated in holders.

Wayne Smith
07-11-2022, 03:24 PM
Probably too late and it does depend on how you load, but I picked up a three station in line press (mine is a Bair, but CH4D makes one) and that is all I need since I prime off the press anyway. I do have to move the shell from station to station, but I don't find that a problem. But then I'm not loading thousands of rounds either.

dswancutt
07-11-2022, 06:28 PM
Always amazes me that people do not ask the important question...."How many rounds a year in each caliber?"

But it looks like you have made your choice...good luck.

Exactly. A turret press is the best answer for most people who need to step up from a single stage.

Stopsign32v
07-11-2022, 07:17 PM
Exactly. A turret press is the best answer for most people who need to step up from a single stage.

I haven't bought anything yet. Honestly I didn't look at a turret press because I thought you had to move the dies manually, I didn't know it was automatically indexing. I looked at the Lee Classic turret but it is only 4 dies. I was really hoping for a powder checking die. Wish they made it in a 5 die or 6 die.

I don't shoot that much but I have 4 little kids and a wife. Locking myself in the reloading room for hours with my single stage, while fun, isn't very logical for us so I would like something I can put out some bullets and be done with it until next time.

Soundguy
07-11-2022, 08:07 PM
Lee makes a progressive turret that is 5 hole. The loadmaster.

ddeck22
07-11-2022, 08:14 PM
I like the LnL from Hornady and I can usually find them used for $300 nowadays. With the extra bushings I can have all of the dies set exactly the way I want and just plop them in when changing calibers.

Stopsign32v
07-11-2022, 08:52 PM
I like the LnL from Hornady and I can usually find them used for $300 nowadays. With the extra bushings I can have all of the dies set exactly the way I want and just plop them in when changing calibers.

Can't you do the exact same thing with the Lee Classic Turret?

dannyd
07-11-2022, 09:40 PM
Can't you do the exact same thing with the Lee Classic Turret?

The LNL's use the bushings in their progressive press I think Lee only uses theirs in the single stage press.

LNL's like a Dillion you have to have a shell plate for each caliber ( they run anywhere from 30 to 50 dollars) and the bushings. This can get expensive too I have over 60 bushings.

But you have told us what you want to do; so any of the progressive press's will same you time, but with 4 little ones don't know how big your budget is. The Lee equipment will keep you under 500 dollars but the Dillion or Hornady once you get all the extra prices will have close or over 1000 dollars easy.

A lot of the guy's on here haven't had children or a budget in years ( 20 years or more), so sometimes we recommend equipment without thinking about your budget.

Stopsign32v
07-11-2022, 09:50 PM
I'm pretty much on the fence right now between the Lee Classic Turret and a Loadmaster. The Loadmaster just looks a lot less "plasticy" than the Pro 1000 or Pro 4000. The Pro 1000/4000 remind me of the APP which looks and feels like it's made by Lego.

dverna
07-11-2022, 09:55 PM
You have not supplied enough information to give a good answer.

So I offer this advice. Keep checking the S&S forum for something faster than your single stage. Many people will be selling off stuff in the next year. Inflation, recession, lack/cost of primers, and plain old age means many here will be selling stuff off.

If you make the wrong choice, you will lose little or nothing when you upgrade.

Set up your most used calibers and leave the rest on your single stage.

W.R.Buchanan
07-11-2022, 10:14 PM
Stopsign: You need to listen very carefully here. Buy a Dillon 550C! It will load everything you will ever want to do. Sure the price is a little more than a Lee machine but the machine is far superior to anything else on the market. It will pay you back many times over with nothing more than less frustration in use. Mine is my most valuable loading machine.

This comes under the heading of "Buy the best , only cry once!"

A turret press only speeds you up a little, and that little is all about not having to change out the dies for every operation. You just rotate the turret but you still run it like a single stage.

With the 550C you manually rotate the Turret for each pull of the handle. It is a Manual Progressive, and nearly as fast as a Automatic Progressive which indexes itself every time you pull the handle.

One thing you need to look at is that you are not buying a loading machine to just serve until you get tired of it. You already load enough different cartridges to justify a better machine, and the Dillon is an investment that won't go down in value. If you really do get sick of it and want a RL750 (Auto Index) you can easily get your money out of the 550.

Also, and this is a big one. You can find a used 550B and go with it. I did that 10 years ago and I load all my .223, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP on it. High volume, more than 200 rounds in a single sitting.

I load all my Rifle Rounds and Specialty Rounds on one of my Hand Presses which is essentially a Portable Single Stage Press (best one out there) because I seldom load more than 50 of a given rifle round at one time.

I am taking time to write this post in the hopes that you listen and save yourself a bunch of heartache. I have owned most of the decent loading presses out there. The Dillon is the best there is! And they last forever or Dillon will fix it for you..

Consider this.,, You are making an investment in your hobby, and it is one that will be with you for a long time. Like my Dad said. "Buy the best,,, only cry once!" A few hundred $ more is not going to be remembered in a year or so while you are smiling and enjoying working with your superior tool!

Otherwise you can buy one of my Lock n Load Hand Presses for $300 and have the best there is, and it fits in a Pistol Case, but it is slower than the Dillon. www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy

Stopsign32v
07-11-2022, 10:36 PM
You have not supplied enough information to give a good answer.

So I offer this advice. Keep checking the S&S forum for something faster than your single stage. Many people will be selling off stuff in the next year. Inflation, recession, lack/cost of primers, and plain old age means many here will be selling stuff off.

If you make the wrong choice, you will lose little or nothing when you upgrade.

Set up your most used calibers and leave the rest on your single stage.

I basically want this press for nothing but 9mm and .223 blasting steel output. When I want to go to the range, insert a few 30rd magazines, and have fun blasting all I can think about is "There went 2 days worth of 3 hour nights on the single stage" meanwhile my family is in the other part of the house. I do enjoy reloading but with a 11 year old, 5, 4 and another on the way with a wife that adores my presence I simply put shooting to the side because I don't want to invest the TIME it takes to bulk reload on my single stage. And I honestly don't think a turret would be much faster (in the sense that I'm expecting).

45_Colt
07-12-2022, 08:34 AM
> I basically want this press for nothing but 9mm and .223 blasting steel output.

With this I agree with those that state to get the Dillon 550. Buy an additional tool head and set each up for the dies in 9mm and 223. Will require a conversion kit (shell plate, powder funnel, buttons) for each.

Can easily get away with a single powder dispensing unit. If the .223 is going to use the small powder bar get an extra of that. Then set one to drop powder for the 9 and the other for the 223.

Changing between calibers will take just a few minutes. And can easily crank out 400 rounds an hour.

45_Colt

Soundguy
07-12-2022, 09:33 AM
Is claiming that the Dillion will last a long time really a selling point anymore?

Any of you have a Lyman spar-t turret? I have one..still as tight as the day it was new..like in the 1960's... You know about 60 years ago...

How many are using vintage lubricizers?
I have lee C style press that are extremely old and still cranking. My rcbs rock chucker will most definitely outlast me..and probably the next owner.

Lots of gear lasts...if it's metal. Plastic stuff...not impressed with.

Stopsign32v
07-12-2022, 09:40 AM
Well Midsouth had 1 of the Lee Loadmasters left in 9mm. For $312 I think it was a deal and since it is discontinued I figured it was time to either s*** or get off the pot.

414gates
07-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Your issue is the die changing.

Get a Lee breech lock classic cast, I recommend the original model with primer disposal down the ram.

Then get one bushing per die and never have to screw dies in again.

But then you want a progressive for bulk reloading. Hornady LnL. Or if you can find one, a Pro 2000 with primer tube and auto index upgrades is a fine example of rcbs precision engineering.

Soundguy
07-12-2022, 09:47 AM
Overall, not a bad platform to start with. Should speed you up greatly.

Three44s
07-12-2022, 10:19 AM
Congrats on your acquisition

There are several loadmaster vids out there to help you if some issue(s) arise.

I have a pretty mechanical serious friend who really likes his loadmaster. He’s convincing enough that I even toyed with snagging one if it was cheap enough just to fool with. Set it up for one caliber and leave it alone.

But I have enough unfinished projects and no cheap deals have arrived to entice me.

Three44s

414gates
07-12-2022, 10:22 AM

A notable exception is sizing of rifle brass on a progressive. No progressive press is designed for repeated tensile stress on the shell plate retaining bolt. These can and do break with 'normal' use.

414gates
07-12-2022, 10:28 AM
Well Midsouth had 1 of the Lee Loadmasters left in 9mm. For $312 I think it was a deal and since it is discontinued I figured it was time to either s*** or get off the pot.

You may end up priming off press with this, unless you don't mind the odd sideways or upside down primer. Lee progressives are best known for their unreliable priming systems. The new 6000 may rectify that.

Soundguy
07-12-2022, 10:34 AM
That's why it's always a good idea to have extra single stage press laying around on the bench. I have 3 lee C press, a rcbs rock chucker, a lee 4 hole classic cast, and a lyman 6 hole. I have a lee hand squeeze press up on a shelf to take to the range if working up loads.

The rock chucker handles all rifle sizing and bullet sizing.

Soundguy
07-12-2022, 10:35 AM
You may end up priming off press with this, unless you don't mind the odd sideways or upside down primer. Lee progressives are best known for their unreliable priming systems. The new 6000 may rectify that.

as he found out.. many people use station #2 on a 5 hole for lining up the case for priming.

Me personally? I hand prime almost completely.

Stopsign32v
07-12-2022, 10:46 AM
as he found out.. many people use station #2 on a 5 hole for lining up the case for priming.

Me personally? I hand prime almost completely.

I will probably duplicate exactly what that guy in the video did setup wise on his Loadmaster. It seems he has used it and upgraded what needed to be upgraded.

414gates
07-12-2022, 12:13 PM
I will probably duplicate exactly what that guy in the video did setup wise on his Loadmaster. It seems he has used it and upgraded what needed to be upgraded.

Please share the link.

dverna
07-12-2022, 12:29 PM
> I basically want this press for nothing but 9mm and .223 blasting steel output.

With this I agree with those that state to get the Dillon 550. Buy an additional tool head and set each up for the dies in 9mm and 223. Will require a conversion kit (shell plate, powder funnel, buttons) for each.

Can easily get away with a single powder dispensing unit. If the .223 is going to use the small powder bar get an extra of that. Then set one to drop powder for the 9 and the other for the 223.

Changing between calibers will take just a few minutes. And can easily crank out 400 rounds an hour.

45_Colt

Good post and advice. But might be too late.

To the OP, watch the videos of how to tweak the Loadmaster. IMO priming off the press is a deal killer but many folks do it...some because they have to...some because they are anal.

If the Loadmaster works for you, it will be a good buy. Just remember you are not married to it. I struggled with a *** Green Machine for a long time and should have sold it after the first 2 months. I bought it when I was newly married and could not afford to ditch it....in hind sight, it was a huge mistake to keep it.

megasupermagnum
07-12-2022, 12:41 PM

As everyone knows, priming is the bane of all progressives. All these people recommending the Dillon 550 I'm sure like theirs, but It's not perfect. It still primes on the downstroke, so it feels janky like every other press. With only 4 stations, you are limited on what you can do. The big one to me is they don't even come with a case feeder, and they aren't cheap. All these people that cry wolf at hand priming, are hand feeding cases into their 550. Also what they aren't telling you is that most, if not all Dillon priming systems requires you to load a primer tube.

The Lee pro1000 is a good press. I've had no real issues with it. The biggest problem is it only has 3 stations, which severely limits what you can do. It also primes on the downstroke. It comes with a case feeder. There is a newer pro4000, which is pretty much the same press, but with a 4th station.

The Lee Loadmaster has its good points. It also comes with a case feeder. The biggest advantage to this is that it primes on the upstroke. At 5 stations, you have some options on how you want to set it up. I'm not crazy about the big frame, I prefer the tiebars of the pro series, but it's fine. The biggest reason I never bought this press is at the time it was considerably more expensive than a pro1000, and not that much less than a Dillon. Today it appears the Loadmaster has hardly went up in price, but Dillon has gone way up, so they make more sense now than ever.

Lee is also coming out with an all new press, and I was told it should be available late this month. It is the Pro 6000 AKA the 6 pack. It is a big 6 station press. Nobody has used them yet, so it's up in the air what it will bring to the table besides a 6th station. It does look like they went back to priming on the downstroke, which I am truly baffled why manufacturers keep doing this? The amazing thing with this press is that it is likely only $250 from Titan when it comes in stock.

I personally prime off the press; single stage, progressive, or hand press. I've got a fairly sturdy bench, but priming on the downstroke with any press just isn't fun. You can rip out hundreds of cases on a hand primer in no time, and you can guarantee every single one of them is perfect just by feel. You want to say I'm wasting my time vs priming on a press? Fine. Just keep picking up your primers in your tube, and hand feeding cases. Or just prime on your Lee, and you may find they aren't nearly as bad as the internet says they are.

Soundguy
07-12-2022, 01:37 PM
Ditto what MSM said. I love hand priming..and I know by feel that every case is correct

AnthonyB
07-12-2022, 01:57 PM
The Dillon Square Deal B and 550 do not prime on the downward motion of the press handle. They both prime at the very top of the handle movement upwards. Don’t know about the 650/750 ‘cause I don’t have one. The RL1100 primes on the downstroke and is much smoother in operation for it.
Tony

414gates
07-12-2022, 02:42 PM
As everyone knows, priming is the bane of all progressives.

Not all. I have the Hornady Pro-Jector, Hornady Lock-n-Load and a RCBS pro 2000.

I have them all priming reliably.

Priming is just the bane of Lee progressives.

When Lee said they created the APP because most of their users didn't prime on press, they missed the part where the users can't prime on press even if they wanted to - the priming doesn't work reliably.

dverna
07-12-2022, 02:48 PM
The Dillon Square Deal B and 550 do not prime on the downward motion of the press handle. They both prime at the very top of the handle movement upwards. Don’t know about the 650/750 ‘cause I don’t have one. The RL1100 primes on the downstroke and is much smoother in operation for it.
Tony

You are correct. BTW, the 650 also primes on the upstroke.

The only presses I have owned that prime on the downstroke are the Dillon 1050 and Star. There is no need to “Prime by feel” on those machines....in fact it is not possible. But most folks cannot justify investing in them.

Stopsign32v
07-12-2022, 02:48 PM
Not all. I have the Hornady Pro-Jector, Hornady Lock-n-Load and a RCBS pro 2000.

I have them all priming reliably.

Priming is just the bane of Lee progressives.

When Lee said they created the APP because most of their users didn't prime on press, they missed the part where the users can't prime on press even if they wanted to - the priming doesn't work reliably.

I guess we will find out. Just about every video I've watched on the Loadmaster has people reliably priming on the press. (Not directed towards you) I feel the hatred towards Lee isn't just. It seems to me that if you aren't willing to spend $550 for a progressive press then you cannot get into the cool kids' club.

I don't exactly bleed Lee red but I can without a doubt say that their overwhelming simplicity and their precise directions are not matched by ANY other reloading company. And for someone that doesn't reload daily this is a God send. I often take breaks between reloading due to a number of different things and often times forget how to setup something or a certain detail. I go to the Lee instructions and I'm immediately back on track.

Soundguy
07-12-2022, 03:23 PM
If you setup station 2 as a primer shell stabilizer..lots of internet video evidence says that you should be priming ok. Apparently that is the 'fix' people have found to make it reliable. I've just seen another video like that.

farmerjim
07-12-2022, 03:41 PM
I have a lee loadmaster. 1st run with 9mm I did 800 in less than an hour and not a primer was fliped or crushed. I later set it up for 38 sp and never could get it to prime without crushed and upside primers. I also have a lee 4 hole turret. It is great for less than 500 runs ( I can get 250 9mm per hour). I have turrets set up for all the calibers that I shoot. I have a RCBS hand primer for small runs, and a Lee ACP ( auto case prime) press. It is fast as lightning with the case collator and feeder. I also have a lee 4000. I do not like the lee safety prime it uses. It is good for depriming brass before cleaning, but the lee ACP has a deprime kit that is just as fast. The 6000 should be out soon and looks good.
How fast do you need to load? 200+ with a turret or 700+ with a progressive?

alamogunr
07-12-2022, 03:49 PM
I have a Dillon 550B, a Redding T7 and my original RCBS Rockchucker. I have full setups for .45ACP, 9mm, .38/357, .40S&W for the Dillon. All others are loaded on the other 2. If any appreciable amount of other cartridges is to be reloaded, I use the T7. The Rockchucker is used for load development & sizing cast when I'm going to tumble lube.

The Dillon is the only press I prime on. I use the T7 to deprime mainly rifle and revolver rounds and prime on a RCBS bench primer. The T7 handles spent primers very well and the Rockchucker does not.

414gates
07-12-2022, 03:51 PM
I guess we will find out. Just about every video I've watched on the Loadmaster has people reliably priming on the press.

Depends on your definition of reliable. 1 failure in 100 is not reliable for me. For some, it's good enough. In any case, I have yet to hear of any buyer of a Lee Loadmaster that sets the press up out of the box, puts 100 primers in the tray, and successfully primes 100 pieces of brass. And I bought my first Loadmaster about 15 years ago.

I feel the hatred towards Lee isn't just.

Hatred, not at all. I'm a Lee fan. I always said that the Lee Loadmaster is one of the best progressive press designs ever, and if the Loadmaster was made with a proper priming system, Lee would have completely owned the progressive reloading press market by now. The innovation coming out of Lee is amazing. The new press designs are a big improvement on the old.

I don't exactly bleed Lee red but I can without a doubt say that their overwhelming simplicity and their precise directions are not matched by ANY other reloading company.

Agreed. Some of their products function are unequalled for any price. The trim die concept, the collet neck sizer, the factory crimp die, the classic cast press, their moulds, sizing dies, lead hardness tester - just the ones I use - can't be beat at any price.

414gates
07-12-2022, 03:59 PM
If you setup station 2 as a primer shell stabilizer..lots of internet video evidence says that you should be priming ok. Apparently that is the 'fix' people have found to make it reliable. I've just seen another video like that.

There are a few 'fixes' out there, and they improve operation for a while, but never completely fix it. in the end, people just prime off press.

The first thing is the primer chute. Sometimes there are little ridges left behind from manufacturing, and these hang up the primers on the way down.

The next is the primer seating pin. If it protrudes too much, it flips the primer sideways or upside down.

The die in station 2 is to get the case centered on the upstroke, so that the primer can seat properly on the downstroke. Doesn't hurt to have it.

Then, you have to keep the priming chute full. The priming chute is gravity fed, if there are too few primers, they can't slide to the bottom of the chute.

Now add a few loose grains of powder here and there while you're working, and you have the ingredients for an interesting time.

Livin_cincy
07-12-2022, 05:54 PM
Buy a new single stage and learn the process for ten years. Repeat until you own (4) single stage presses.

Now you can safely go to Lee Turret, Breech Lock Pro or Dillon 550. You have mastered (4) die set up.

😂😂😆😆😅😅

I can produce 2-250 hand gun rounds on my Lee Turret. Some get 550 on a Dillon 550. Most get far less, 3-400.

Time is what a progressive will give you. For some it is loading (1) night per month that they like.

All progressive presses can do a caliber change in 3.5 minutes. You will probably spend an hour cleaning, doing service to it and getting your cartridges to pass inspection so you are comfortable.

megasupermagnum
07-12-2022, 07:23 PM
Upstroke of the ram is what I mean. You can't get any feel at all by pushing on the handle. You just give it an OOF or two, and call it good. That's how I learned to reload on an RCBS rockchucker. It worked, primer tubes work. As soon as I could move on to anything else, I did. With a rock solid bench, good press mounting plate, and consistent run, press priming works fine for the most part. You wouldn't have the slightest clue if you got one in backwards or sideways until you look at them after loading.

By priming on the upstroke AKA pushing down on the handle, you get a real good feel for the primer. There's no need to jam it this way. The only press I've been able to try this on was using Lee's Ram prime, which is a phenomenal tool if you have a hand press, either Lee's or Randy's.

@414gates, that's a great example of of Lee bashers. An RCBS pro2000, really? That's your counter argument for how bad Lee is? Yeah, ok, you go ahead and load those strips.

Look, if you guys can't come up with an argument that doesn't involve primer tubes, or rube goldberg primer strip contraptions, you have no business bashing Lee. As far as I'm concerned, Lee's gravity fed primer tray is superior to any other kind of primer holder. Do I think it could be better? Of course, but the idea that they don't work is outright BS.

AnthonyB
07-12-2022, 08:41 PM
I am not bashing any manufacturer, just pointing out that the words you used in the order you used them were incorrect and gave a false impression of how the Dillon presses operate. Priming at the bottom of the downward movement of the handle is done at the moment of maximum leverage and gives no “feel” at all to primer insertion. The Dillon’s that prime on the last infinitesimal movement of the handle upward give a much better “feel” of the primer seating, and you know if it is somehow crooked. Upside down is operator fault in loading the tubes.

This is not my circus, and those are not my monkeys. I was just trying to clarify what you posted for accuracy/understanding. The OP has made his choice, so I’ll let this one go.
Tony

414gates
07-13-2022, 02:41 AM
@414gates, that's a great example of of Lee bashers. An RCBS pro2000, really? That's your counter argument for how bad Lee is? Yeah, ok, you go ahead and load those strips.

You missed post 85.

Your opinion is that Lee priming is better because there is no primer tube - if works better for you, then it is.

derek45
07-13-2022, 07:40 AM
Those of us who are recommending DILLON are not snobs or LEE haters.

We simply tried LEE progressives and moved on to better quality and reliability

I have a ton of LEE dies . . . . . installed on DILLON toolheads.

With the casefeeder and the Dillon powder-check-system, it's easy to load up 1000 perfect rounds between supper and putting the kids to bed.

https://i.imgur.com/PVE60ra.gif

Stopsign32v
07-13-2022, 08:30 AM
Those of us who are recommending DILLON are not snobs or LEE haters.

We simply tried LEE progressives and moved on to better quality and reliability

I have a ton of LEE dies . . . . . installed on DILLON toolheads.

With the casefeeder and the Dillon powder-check-system, it's easy to load up 1000 perfect rounds between supper and putting the kids to bed.

https://i.imgur.com/PVE60ra.gif

So $550 for the press, $100 for the powder check, and $290 for the case feeder I can have 1000 cases an hour which I don't really need right now.

OR I can do what I did and take the other $628 I saved an put it towards something else...

Soundguy
07-13-2022, 09:16 AM
To the Dillon cult.. why is it that the only times I have ever heard of primer detonations it's always in dillon tubes?

PS.. I own and reload on just about every type of gear made in the last 80 years.. there are even a very few pieces of blue laying around.. though most of it is red and green.

414gates
07-13-2022, 09:38 AM
To the Dillon cult.. why is it that the only times I have ever heard of primer detonations it's always in dillon tubes?

The problem is not unique to Dillon, and it's a problem that's occurred on the 650, not sure about others.

The Lee Loadmaster used to ship with a blast shield. They warned against using certain brands of primer without it.

I've never heard of it actually happening, but there must be a reason for the warning.

Omega
07-13-2022, 09:43 AM
Another vote for Lee Classic Cast Turret, been using one since I "upgraded" from the original turret press. I prefer loading like a single stage, filling a loading block before going on to seating the bullets, but like the convenience of just swapping turrets to change calibers.

Stopsign32v
07-13-2022, 09:49 AM
The problem is not unique to Dillon, and it's a problem that's occurred on the 650, not sure about others.

The Lee Loadmaster used to ship with a blast shield. They warned against using certain brands of primer without it.

I've never heard of it actually happening, but there must be a reason for the warning.

Lee spoke with Dillon and didn't want lawsuits. Later they realized their product was superior and didn't need the shield for something that would only happen with a Dillon press.

:kidding:

dverna
07-13-2022, 11:07 AM

PS.. I own and reload on just about every type of gear made in the last 80 years.. there are even a very few pieces of blue laying around.. though most of it is red and green.

The only person I know who had that happen had it happen twice. He was a top CAS shooter and admitted he runs his 1050 to crank out as many rounds as possible as he shoots a lot. He did not fault the press or the primer system. He is a shooter....not a reloader...a very fine shooter.

I have owned a Green Machine, Star, two SDB's, two 550's, a 650 and three 1050's and never had a primer detonation. It may be because I do not try to go super-fast, or maybe I am lucky.

Back to your question. I suspect one reason primer detonations may occur more on Dillons is that the primer system on Dillons is reliable enough that most people use it. It appears some folks with Lee's, Hornady AP's etc wind up priming off the press, and justify why they must do so, instead of admitting the primer system is unreliable. Well...it seems that will certainly avoid a tube of primers going off.

As to "cult", I have a few Lee items but none of their presses or pistol dies. Dillon does a better job on those items. I have done a lot of reloading and hate it, so I buy stuff that works without a lot of tweaking or frustration. Getting burned by trying to save money and suffering from it is a good teacher.

I would certainly consider a Lee single stage or turret press if I was starting out again. Those are simple presses that do not get a lot of cycling. For a serious volume of reloading, Dillons just plain work and have worked for decades. For people who shoot less, other progressive presses may be a suitable compromise between cost, production rate and reliability. Much depends on the persons mechanical ability, and how easily frustrated they are.

We tend to believe what works for us is what everyone needs. Just not so. I have tried to keep that in mind as I have been guilty of thinking that way. Many people are well served by Lee and Hornady progressives, but many are not.

I can go downstairs, load up 20 primer tubes and crank out 2000 rounds in about 3-4 hours on the 1050. It suits my needs. It is not for everyone.

Soundguy
07-13-2022, 11:38 AM
As much praise as I hear for Dillon..i just don't see much better ammo comming out..really.
I have rcbs, hornady, lyman, lee, c&h, pacific, and lots of other gear. When it comes to dies.. Lee is cheapest..then moving up the price tree.. you have rcbs and hornady..lyman, then Dillon.

I've only ever broken one decap stem ( and a couple pins ).. And it was an rcbs die.. But to its defense..it was on some hornady brass ..and hornady didn't put the flash hole in the center of that batch of brass..they just randomly put it somewhere in the primer pocket... As for other die problems... A hornady set of all american 38/357 had a neck expander that was cut and or assembled wrong.

Making ammo... Strangely... All the ammo looks the same whether it came from a 28 $ lee die set..or a 85$ rcbs set... Blue sets cost even more..cant imagine what benefit I'd gain going even farther up the food chain when red, red, green and orange dies all seem to make identical ammo... Do blue dies make that much better ammo to cost 4x? One thing I am less fond of is lee lock rings..but that was on single stage press... On a turret tool head..they are fine.
Not a Dillon hater...
In my group of shooting friends I'm the only caster and up until last year the only reloader. A buddy finally got into it..seeing me always have ammo. He got a Dillon. I think it's a 550 or 650.. I'm not versed enough on them.
He has setups for 45acp and .223. He will be getting into 357 Sig soon. He mainly runs 45acp as he has no brass trimmer. I think he's made a full box of 45acp so far in the last year and a half. Apparently lots of setup.??

He has a g$$d job and asked about gear and what I used. He eventually settled on whatever cost the most as it must be best. ( ?? )

I'm not drawing any conclusions...but I shoot alot more than he does... When commercial j-words went away last year, my shooting didn't skip a beat.. ( man I love casting... ). He got interested in cast lead bullets at that time.... Not making them...he wanted mine... Lol.

super6
07-13-2022, 01:47 PM
"My Dad is stronger than yours", or so I recall in the 60's.

In the early 80's my first press was a Lee three hole turret. In the mid 80's I got a Dillon RL450 and soon found swapping between small and large primers required a little more fiddling than I liked so I bought a second RL450. For many years after, the Lee three hole served as my single stage for a variety of functions. Then a few years ago I decided I needed a real single stage and got a Forster Co-Ax which was soon followed by a vintage RCBS A2 and an older Rock chucker. I still have them all and still use them all.

Each serves a purpose for me and deserve no more devotion other than they each serve their intended use/function. I don't own any of the presses currently being praised or dissed and have no comment or opinion. Well.... except why would I choose to diss someone else's choices? Especially if I don't already own or have used one.

All these years later I still think my Blue RL450s are the best semi-progressive presses ever made. And at the time, those Dillon 450s were the most affordable progressive press available for the likes of me. Anything else out there was super high dollar commercial types (or so I recall).

In short, life is already too short. Enjoy each blessed day as they come, and be nice.

I have mostly hollywood junk, 12 station turret in witch I can do 4 calibers, And a single stage hollywood , Love life!

calm seas
07-13-2022, 01:57 PM
A progressive is a obvious choice, but if you don't like them and have room on the bench-
mount a couple more single stage ones.

Or get a LNL Hornady with the quick change bushings.
Right there. I put the Hornady quick-change adapter in my Rock Chucker so I can swap dies from the single-stage to progressive, with less than 0.0001 difference in COAL.

dverna
07-13-2022, 02:22 PM
Soundguy, Dillon pistol dies can be quickly disassembled to clean out lube and debris without having to reset them. Maybe not much of an advantage for PC or jacketed bullets but I use lube so I prefer them. I bought mine when they were $20 IIRC more than regular dies and I was sold after my first set so all my pistol dies are Dillons. I only load 9mm, .38, .40 and a bit of .45 ACP so not a huge investment for the ease of use for a lifetime.

The quality of ammunition is not the selling feature of Dillon presses. It is their reliability and production rate.

I do not get anal about pistol ammunition. Clean primer pockets or case length are not concerns. I have never trimmed a pistol case. Productivity trumps "quality" with pistol ammunition. If the ammunition chambers, ejects and delivers decent groups it has enough "quality". KISS

BTW, look at the link below. The Army Marksmanship Unit cannot recommend equipment but a picture if worth a thousand words. I own or have owned every press pictured. My "anal" rifle ammunition comes off a Co-Ax...the red thing at the front of the first bench,

https://www.ssusa.org/content/getting-started-in-handloading-with-the-u-s-army-marksmanship-unit/

Soundguy
07-13-2022, 02:37 PM
I'm not one of those people where resetting a die scares them I load lots of different bullets sometimes for the same cartridge so every time I do a run I may be doing a different projectile so therefore I'm resetting the seating die in the crimp die anyway it takes a few seconds each it's not like it's a big deal. One day I may run some 95 grain 38 special for cowboy loads and the next day I may be running some 158 grain semi-wad cutters in the next day I may be running round nose or hollow points again it takes seconds to set up a die I know some people it scares them however. And I'm obviously not directing that at you. If Dylan dies were only $20 more than Lee dies I'd for sure be buying them but heck RCBS dies are almost twice of what a Lee die is and Dylan is more expensive than them so it's a game changer when you reload about 100 or 120 different calibers.

AnthonyB
07-13-2022, 03:19 PM
Unlike Don, with whom I agree on almost everything, I like to reload. I still do most of my loading on an RCBS single stage.

This thread has drifted considerably, much to my surprise.😀

But when it comes to progressive loading, Dillon is the way to go. The sheer enjoyment of a piece of equipment that works as it should is enough for me to justify the cost. Again, not applicable to the OP and his question at all. As another poster commented, my kids are grown and I am not on a budget (Ramen noodles are still inexpensive).
Tony

Soundguy
07-13-2022, 03:38 PM
For me it's not even a cost issue it's a quality comparison issue of the finished product and then it cost analysis. For instance if I take my $200 Rock Island arms M200 revolver to the range it shoots okay however if I take my $4,500 Manurhin mr73 to the range it feels a whole lot better better Clockwork all around so in that case money is getting a quality return when it comes to reloading the ammo that gets cranked out of all the different colored press seems to be exactly the same so it seems to be no reason to pay for unusable , unquantifiable quality for me anyway.

AnthonyB
07-13-2022, 04:53 PM
For me it's not even a cost issue it's a quality comparison issue of the finished product and then it cost analysis. For instance if I take my $200 Rock Island arms M200 revolver to the range it shoots okay however if I take my $4,500 Manurhin mr73 to the range it feels a whole lot better better Clockwork all around so in that case money is getting a quality return when it comes to reloading the ammo that gets cranked out of all the different colored press seems to be exactly the same so it seems to be no reason to pay for unusable , unquantifiable quality for me anyway.

So you load ammo for your $4500 Manhurin with a Lee Whack A Mole loader?
Tony

Soundguy
07-13-2022, 05:25 PM
I didn't mention a lee hammer style loader..however, I have plenty of times made ammo on a single stage press for $$$$+ firearms.

That's a perfect example of paying a little more to get a return on investment in that cost analysis... Spend more than the hammer kit to get a press kit... Costs more..but overcomes some shortcomings. At that point.. Looking at a simple 38/357 straight wall, rimmed cartridge that doesn't grow? I fail to see a Dillon making a better individual piece of ammo than a set of Lee dies in a lee single stage press. I'd wager you could take a hand full of identical primers, cases and projectiles.. And then make a single example on an rcbs, a lee, a hornady, a lyman, and a Dillon press...then in a blind ( or double blind ) comparison... I doubt they could be told apart without specialized forensic microscopic analysis of the seater plug and interior of the resize die body.
I'll go you one better... Let's go straight cost analysis... The guy using a ballanced beam scale instead of a powder thrower likely has made the ammo closest to the desired target spec...after all.. Individual weighed charges can be adjusted a kernel or flake or stick at a time... A cavity dropper in comparison is like marking with chalk and cutting with a chainsaw.

Thank you for illustrating my point for me. Bravo!

derek45
07-13-2022, 06:01 PM

Because you can't fix "stupid"

The design is a good one, but teenagers and Marines can break an anvil with a feather

derek45
07-13-2022, 06:05 PM
So $550 for the press, $100 for the powder check, and $290 for the case feeder I can have 1000 cases an hour which I don't really need right now.

OR I can do what I did and take the other $628 I saved an put it towards something else...

no

the XL750 is about $699

LOL

Think about the money you saved every time your LEE coughs and sputters.

If you like to tinker, troubleshoot, look for flipped primers, and clear jams, try the LEE

When you're time is more valuable, or you want to see your name at the top of the scoresheet, then it's time to buy a Dillon.

USPSA/IPSC nationals a few years ago...

https://i.imgur.com/ht0vJLp.jpg

AnthonyB
07-13-2022, 06:13 PM
That's a perfect example of paying a little more to get a return on investment in that cost analysis... Spend more than the hammer kit to get a press kit... Costs more..but overcomes some shortcomings.

Thank you for illustrating my point for me. Bravo!

And thanks to you as well, sir. Can you follow the logic trail?
Tony

lawdog941
07-13-2022, 08:45 PM
Wow, this got "heated." OP already decided, and yet the Reds/Blues are still competing. To each their own.

AnthonyB
07-13-2022, 09:05 PM
Lawdog, no heat on my end at all.
Tony

dverna
07-13-2022, 09:34 PM
Wow, this got "heated." OP already decided, and yet the Reds/Blues are still competing. To each their own.

No...not heated at all...just the facts...some folks post opinions and that is ok too

The OP has made his choice and that is fine.

I disagree with Soundguy. He keeps clinging to the quality mantra to justify using inexpensive equipment when it is irrelevant in discussing which progressive press to invest in. It works for him...but others may benefit from a more complete presentation of facts.

We can agree to disagree and still be civil.

Stopsign32v
07-13-2022, 10:29 PM
no

the XL750 is about $699

LOL

I'm truly sorry I disappointed you by being too poor to spend twice the amount of money I did. But I really do appreciate the constructive belittling.

derek45
07-13-2022, 10:45 PM
I'm truly sorry I disappointed you by being too poor to spend twice the amount of money I did. But I really do appreciate the constructive belittling.

I'm trying to help you, I have no interest in "belittling" you.

What's cheaper?

buying something that doesn't work well, and then buying something better.....or just "buy once, cry once" ?

I was once in your shoes,....I tried to go cheap with a LEE Pro1000

It was an exercise in frustration.

My Dillon 650 is like an old trusted reliable rifle, it brings a smile to my face every time I use it.

Buy what you want, but I've never heard anyone, at any match, saying they sold that *** Dillon, and went to another brand.

Soundguy
07-13-2022, 11:12 PM
Remember guys..once you buy the expensive car...you have to 100% stick to your guns that it was the best and only choice. :0

Soundguy
07-13-2022, 11:15 PM
As for the competition guys..they just need mass quantities of average consumer grade level ammo..thats why Dillon is at the top..not because it is making finer quality ammo..its because it's maki g satisfactory mass quantity ammo.

Last hog hunt I went on..i fired 1 time... I didn't need quantity. :0

downzero
07-14-2022, 12:04 AM

I don't know how I'd comment on what you've heard of or the credibility of those allegations, but I wear safety glasses when I deal with primers for that reason and to date, two decades, many crooked primers and crimped primer pockets missed, I haven't had anything like that happen. I have plenty of red and some green in my reloading room as well, but I see no need to even consider any other brand of progressive press. As to how other people have had that happen or if that has even ever happened, color me skeptical it was the equipment after my own, very positive, experience.

Lee is an impressive company, making nicely machined parts in the United States for significantly less than their competitors that is not garbage. Just as one would be a fool to think Dillons are crap because someone on the internet said their primer tube blew up, a reloader would be similarly foolish to suggest that Lee doesn't make good stuff. Lee makes great stuff. I have even used Lee dies in my Dillon press. Saying Dillon makes the best metallic cartridge reloading machines does not change that at all.

Lefty Red
07-14-2022, 07:33 AM
OP, good job with getting a press. I would suggest, and I don’t anyone else has, is get a swaggering setup for your 9mms. I hate reloading 9mm, seems like the specs are all over the place these last two years and most are crimped. I usually run them through my APP, once’s for depriming and the other time for swaggering the primer pocket. Then it’s cleaning the brass, light spritz of lube, and then priming on the bench primer set up. Now they are ready for my progressive.

And don’t worry, I never made it to the national levels in competition shooting so I wasn’t forced to get a Dillon either. LOL. I just found one at a great price. Now I want to sell it cause it’s just I have no use for it due to my speed or need of reloading these days.

Enjoy the kids! I applaud you for wanting to and making the effort to help your wife and be their first your kids. It’s a hard balance, family and kids and our hobbies. The world needs more guys like you, putting their family first. Makes better families, that in turn make better kids, and they grow up to be better adults.

45_Colt
07-14-2022, 08:18 AM

Not a Dillon cult-ee, but right here on cast boolits:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?157918-Primer-Explosions!-Have-you-had-one

Four pages of various light-em-ups, with the hand primer unit likely being the worst...

45_Colt

45_Colt
07-14-2022, 08:45 AM
OP, good job with getting a press. I would suggest, and I don’t anyone else has, is get a swaggering setup for your 9mms. I hate reloading 9mm, seems like the specs are all over the place these last two years and most are crimped. I usually run them through my APP, once’s for depriming and the other time for swaggering the primer pocket.

This made me chuckle, couldn't figure out what you really meant when the OP needed to swagger over to the press. No ill intent intended, I just saw this as humor. Figured it was an auto-correct or such.

Good idea about swaging the 9mm primer pockets. Being that there is a ton of military 9mm brass out there. I don't reload 9, but have run into a lot of .223 that has crimped primer pockets.

45_Colt.

guzma393
07-14-2022, 09:56 AM
I'm only a lee fan-boy because I am perpetually too poor to afford a dillon. Funds keep going to the reloading components :-)

Soundguy
07-14-2022, 12:58 PM
I'm doing what I used to do. No hoarding..but I buy a small amount if I see them less than 15c each ( primers ). Got lucky and found some 6c and 8c last week..then some 13c

Oh well..better than not being available.... Like powder...

Electrod47
07-14-2022, 04:15 PM
I'm only a lee fan-boy because I am perpetually too poor to afford a dillon. Funds keep going to the reloading components :-)

Amen Brother. But, I also have learned to love my Lee equipment. If it wasn't for Lee and the pricing in 1977 I may not have even attempted the task. My first Lee Load All in .22 Hornet was the best thing I could have ever done for myself.
( when it comes to shooting )

ulav8r
07-14-2022, 07:51 PM
DuckDuckgo search results swaggering;
swaggering
noun
The act of strutting; blustering; bravado.
The Century Dictionary.
More at Wordnik

gifbohane
07-14-2022, 08:09 PM
If you had the cash get a T7 and never look back, a good second choice would be the RCBS turret.

Buy once, cry once...

Lefty Red
07-16-2022, 08:48 PM
This made me chuckle, couldn't figure out what you really meant when the OP needed to swagger over to the press. No ill intent intended, I just saw this as humor. Figured it was an auto-correct or such.

Good idea about swaging the 9mm primer pockets. Being that there is a ton of military 9mm brass out there. I don't reload 9, but have run into a lot of .223 that has crimped primer pockets.

45_Colt.

LOL, old auto correct got me again! Just like a woman, it thinks it know better than me! LOL

Stopsign32v
07-16-2022, 11:19 PM
Well the press will be here tomorrow. Knock on wood it works smoothly. I did find this website with some good upgrades for it. https://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mrb2018_004.htm

Soundguy
07-17-2022, 07:46 AM
Take your time and play with it almost all new presses take a little bit to set up even the blue ones

jetinteriorguy
07-17-2022, 11:30 AM
Well the press will be here tomorrow. Knock on wood it works smoothly. I did find this website with some good upgrades for it. https://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mrb2018_004.htm

I retired my Loadmaster a couple years ago out of frustration. Recently while searching on ETSY I saw a little device that looked very interesting to help things run more smoothly. It’s sort of a roller bearing that’s spring loaded to smooth out the funky little bar thing that advances the shell plate. Now, I haven’t actually tried it myself but for $20.00 I’m tempted to drag out the press and give it a go. You should check it out and see what you think, it looks to me in the video like it might be a worthwhile investment. At least if I bought it and it worked I might be able to sell the press without feeling like a crook.

Stopsign32v
07-17-2022, 12:19 PM
I retired my Loadmaster a couple years ago out of frustration. Recently while searching on ETSY I saw a little device that looked very interesting to help things run more smoothly. It’s sort of a roller bearing that’s spring loaded to smooth out the funky little bar thing that advances the shell plate. Now, I haven’t actually tried it myself but for $20.00 I’m tempted to drag out the press and give it a go. You should check it out and see what you think, it looks to me in the video like it might be a worthwhile investment. At least if I bought it and it worked I might be able to sell the press without feeling like a crook.

Do you happen to know where I can find this little device?

dverna
07-17-2022, 01:17 PM

Good luck and let us know how it works out. One of the most mechanically talented guys here (J. Morris) got one running very well. A bit of troubleshooting and tweaking should address most issues.

dannyd
07-17-2022, 01:34 PM
Don't forget to check out GavinToobe does good videos on the Loadmaster.

Always glad I sold my Dillons because sometimes the owners get so carried away. But they did work okay.

Jeff Michel
07-17-2022, 04:15 PM

I've found this to be best when adjusting a Lee Press.

jetinteriorguy
07-17-2022, 06:58 PM

Just go to ETSY and type in Lee Loading and you’ll find it.

Stopsign32v
07-17-2022, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, going to look into them all. I think I'm going to leave it boxed up until I get the Inline Ultra mount. Was just looking and measuring and it looks like the micro 4" is as tall as I can go. My bench is decently high and I originally set it up for standing.

jetinteriorguy
07-18-2022, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, going to look into them all. I think I'm going to leave it boxed up until I get the Inline Ultra mount. Was just looking and measuring and it looks like the micro 4" is as tall as I can go. My bench is decently high and I originally set it up for standing.
One other thing I added to mine that made a huge difference was Inline Fabrications Roller handle. It just seemed like everything worked smoother compared to the stock wooden ball.

David2011
07-26-2022, 12:06 AM
A friend owns a Hornady Ammo Plant. He couldn’t use it due to a move so he cruised over to my place to use my Dillon 550 and 650. He told me that he couldn’t believe how much smoother the Dillons were and that it took no tinkering to keep them running. His claim; not mine.

David2011
07-28-2022, 03:12 PM

Always glad I sold my Dillons because sometimes the owners get so carried away. But they did work okay.

Isn’t that like selling your Harley or Shelby Cobra because other owners are enthusiastic about their possession?

When I bought my Dillon 550 in 1991 there was no Internet. I didn’t know anyone that owned one. I knew nothing of any fan base. I just knew that my wife, my buddy, his wife and I were plinking about 2000 rounds a month of nothing but .38 Special. It was purchased based on advertising and magazine articles. He and I were spending a lot of time on my JR3 reloading for the four of us. The 550 let us crank out a month’s worth of ammunition in one evening. Thirty one years later the 550 still runs like clockwork.

W.R.Buchanan
07-29-2022, 01:58 PM

Gavin also did a video on My Hand Press, he liked it and was actually sizing .308 Machine Gun Brass in one stroke. It takes me 3 strokes to get one sized on my Rock Chucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVUXKdqHcs&t=307s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QifWLBl8HrY&t=674s

have a look.

Randy

dannyd
07-29-2022, 02:24 PM
Isn’t that like selling your Harley or Shelby Cobra because other owners are enthusiastic about their possession?

When I bought my Dillon 550 in 1991 there was no Internet. I didn’t know anyone that owned one. I knew nothing of any fan base. I just knew that my wife, my buddy, his wife and I were plinking about 2000 rounds a month of nothing but .38 Special. It was purchased based on advertising and magazine articles. He and I were spending a lot of time on my JR3 reloading for the four of us. The 550 let us crank out a month’s worth of ammunition in one evening. Thirty one years later the 550 still runs like clockwork.

Nope because a 550 at that time was not a Shelby Cobra (think that picture is from 1989) it was just another press to me. The SBD was way better at loading 38 special than the 550 and I was doing about 2000 rounds a month. Purchased the 550 to do 30/20 TC for silhouette shooting did about 20,000 rounds with it. I really don't have preference on any equipment on all four walls of my reloading room you will find everybody's equipment. But when you load this many different 38/357 bullets the bushings are definitely nice to have.
( do about 5 more different 357 bullets that are not in the picture)

dannyd
07-29-2022, 02:36 PM
Gavin also did a video on My Hand Press, he liked it and was actually sizing .308 Machine Gun Brass in one stroke. It takes me 3 strokes to get one sized on my Rock Chucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVUXKdqHcs&t=307s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QifWLBl8HrY&t=674s

have a look.

Randy

I am not much of a rifle shooter; revolvers 25 and 50 yards

David2011
07-30-2022, 02:41 PM
Danny, I didn’t compare the 550 to a Cobra. I suggested that it didn’t make sense to get rid of something because others like. Makes the same sense to me as getting rid of an AR-15 because there are lots of tacticool folks that are enthusiastic about them. Getting rid of something because you just don’t like it, OTOH, makes all the sense in the world.

W.R.Buchanan
07-30-2022, 03:10 PM
dannyd: it will easily do any of those, and anything else shorter than 3.75" I have a guy who loads .577 NE on his by the campfire in Africa! however it is not the right tool for loading Hi volume. It is a Single Stage Press

Randy

Tazman1602
07-30-2022, 03:14 PM
Dillon 550

Liberty1776
08-04-2022, 09:32 PM
Probably already mentioned, but converting my ancient RCBS Rock Chucker single stage into a Lee Breech Lock using Lee's inexpensive screw-in adapter (https://leeprecision.com/1-1-4-12-bl-update-kit.html) made the single stage amazingly quick to use.

Then get a supply of spline-drive Breech Lock adapters with built-in lock rings. https://leeprecision.com/lock-ring-elim-4-pack.html

I've actually found myself pulling dies out of my Dillon 550 tool blocks and setting them up for the single stage; especially sizing dies for shouldered cases that need trimming.

If a case needs trimming, you really need to work them before they're ready for a progressive press: Decapping, tumbling, sizing, trimming, deburring can all be done on a single stage easier than a progressive. After the brass is prepped, then the progressive works well.

The progressive press works great for straight wall pistol calibers.