PDA

View Full Version : My Faux Frankford Arsenal 1878 ammo boxes

Agarbers
07-09-2022, 11:14 AM
I wanted something to use as a prop in my photos. Since I can't afford $300-$400 for the real thing I used screen captures and made up my own. A friend that owns a few genuine boxes gave me the dimensions.
The paper is faux parchment from Amazon. I printed the label using a color printer. The box is actually a block of wood that I carefully folded the paper around. I added a string to one for a more authentic look. when all was complete, I gave each "box" a coating of shellac.

I think they came out pretty good.

elmacgyver0
07-09-2022, 11:29 AM
Those look great.

TNsailorman
07-09-2022, 01:36 PM
great job. james

slim1836
07-13-2022, 12:42 AM
Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Slim

jem102
11-05-2022, 09:08 PM
Way Cool!

Sasquatch-1
11-06-2022, 08:51 AM
I like 'em. They even have that aged look.

georgerkahn
11-07-2022, 09:37 PM
Very well done!!! My kudos to you and your printer. Might it be too bold for me to inquire the make and model of printer you employed? I recently purchased an HP Color Laser Jet MFP M182-M185; I wonder if it might work... I have a few oldie but goodie calibres making faux box backdrops may be a real visual addition to.
geo

Sasquatch-1
11-08-2022, 09:13 AM
Very well done!!! My kudos to you and your printer. Might it be too bold for me to inquire the make and model of printer you employed? I recently purchased an HP Color Laser Jet MFP M182-M185; I wonder if it might work... I have a few oldie but goodie calibres making faux box backdrops may be a real visual addition to.
geo

I have never done this, but I believe the final product might have more to do with the paper you use and not the printer. I nice parchment type off color paper for the aged look. Probably a card stock weight if you actually want to use them for cartridges.

georgerkahn
11-09-2022, 07:56 AM
I have never done this, but I believe the final product might have more to do with the paper you use and not the printer. I nice parchment type off color paper for the aged look. Probably a card stock weight if you actually want to use them for cartridges.

I have and use a card stock for many "projects", and -- on one -- I had the challenge of bleed-through where the coating dissolved (?) enough of the ink to really degrade the final product. I was using an ink-jet printer and sprayed with a Minn-Wax aerosol varnish. I switched to a Polyacrylic which worked re this, but the finish was not what I had sought. I had not thought of/tried shellac, and have seen it in an aerosol can which may be "the cat's meow"?
Interestingly, I used a yellow felt-tip marker on a laser-jet printed page to highlight a few words and first noted the yellow felt tip itself had turned black, and then that the printed letters were smearing. Hence -- my inquiry.
Thanks!
geo

Chili
03-19-2023, 06:06 PM
Wow...that looks like real ammo boxes.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk