PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio gun shop recommendation?

auto5man
07-07-2022, 06:36 AM
Hi All,

Flying to SA today and have some free time. I’ve never been to SA, any good gun stores or pawnshops to see? And by GOOD, I mean leverguns and sixgun type inventory! Thanks in advance.

Auto5man

HWooldridge
07-07-2022, 08:48 AM
Dury's is on the south side - they will have a good variety but they are generally expensive. Nagel's is north of downtown - old and small shop - you never can tell what they might have on the shelf. Both of these shops will have lever actions and sixguns.

There used to be some other good shops but they closed in favor of all the tacticool places everyone wants now.

Char-Gar
07-07-2022, 02:16 PM
I never go to San Antone without a stop at Nagel's on San Pedro.

pertnear
07-07-2022, 03:41 PM
I never go to San Antone without a stop at Nagel's on San Pedro.

I grew up in SA & Nagel's was the place to go for anything gun related. Handguns, rifles, gunsmithing, reloading supplies, cleaning supplies - they had it all. Be sure to check it out. The Powder Horn was another neat shop but I don't know if they are still around on the West side.

HWooldridge
07-07-2022, 03:58 PM
I grew up in SA & Nagel's was the place to go for anything gun related. Handguns, rifles, gunsmithing, reloading supplies, cleaning supplies - they had it all. Be sure to check it out. The Powder Horn was another neat shop but I don't know if they are still around on the West side.

I knew both John Dury and Bob Nagel. Both had good shops back in the 1970's. Johnny's sons have really grown the Dury shop over the years since his death - it's much bigger than it used to be. Bob has also passed on and I don't know who owns that shop now.

Powderhorn closed down...I used to work on the west side of SA and would go by there once or twice a month. They took a lot of my money...LOL

Don's Gun Shop had a couple of locations but they also closed. Bracken Gun Shop is pretty decent for a small place but they like their black rifles a lot.

ACC
07-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Dury's is on the south side - they will have a good variety but they are generally expensive. Nagel's is north of downtown - old and small shop - you never can tell what they might have on the shelf. Both of these shops will have lever actions and sixguns.

There used to be some other good shops but they closed in favor of all the tacticool places everyone wants now.

Dury's is no longer on the south side. They are on NE Loop 410 and their prices are even higher.

ACC

HWooldridge
07-07-2022, 08:18 PM
Dury's is no longer on the south side. They are on NE Loop 410 and their prices are even higher.

ACC

You are right - that slipped my mind. In the old days, they were on Southcross in a really cramped shop, then they moved to Hot Wells prior to the last move to 410.