PDA

View Full Version : Skinner sight help.

Idaho45guy
07-07-2022, 04:32 AM
Mods, feel free to move this to a different forum if you think another would be more appropriate.

So, I ordered a Skinner winged rear peep sight for my Henry Big Boy Black in .45 Colt a month ago.

It arrived in 11 days, but, it only came with one mounting screw, and the aperture was for a front sight as it was a blade and not a peep sight...

I call Skinner and they apologize and said they will send out a new sight ASAP.

The new sight arrived yesterday, and I just picked it up from the post office after work tonight.

I open up the package, and instead of just one screw, I get no screws...

Whatever, I'm sure if I don't have one somewhere, then Ace Hardware will have one. I start examining it and it looks like the aperture is blocking the mounting hole. Looks like you have to unscrew the aperture in order to get access to the hole.

I tried unscrewing the knurled ring on it and it won't budge. I could probably get it off with some needle-nose vice grips, but don't want to damage it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had tried these sights and if they had any issues.

I'm thinking about just sending them back and getting my money back and buying the Ranger Point Precision rear sight. It's $35 more, but might be worth it not to deal with all the hassle.

Stig
07-07-2022, 08:09 AM
Looks like they sent you a winged front sight first. I have ordered one Skinner sight, and that came with the appropriate screws. For unscrewing the aperture I would use some needle nose pliers with some tape wrapped around the "nose".

A little tip which took me some time to understand... The aperture can be mounted on both sides of the aperture, giving you finer height adjustment. May be obvious to everybody else, but not to me :-)

waksupi
07-07-2022, 09:51 AM
Call and ask to talk to Andy directly.

Hick
07-07-2022, 07:48 PM
My skinner sights have a tiny allen screw that goes in from the right side that holds the aperture piece tight.

sigep1764
07-07-2022, 10:32 PM
Don't send them back. You will like them, I promise. Grab a little oil and hit the aperture with it and let it sit for an hour. It should unscrew. Then the sight should unscrew from the base, allowing you to mount it, then reassemble. This has been my experience with a set for my Marlin 336.

sigep1764
07-07-2022, 10:33 PM
If it's still tight, get a pair of needle nose pliers, wrap the teeth with tape. This will keep the finish from being marred.

JSnover
07-09-2022, 07:30 AM
Call and ask to talk to Andy directly.

Yeah, give Andy a chance to fix it. He's a good guy, you're going to like his sights.
Maybe they misunderstood, maybe they hired some new kid to pick parts, you never know.