PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat color that mimics a copper jacketed bullet-recommendation/experiences?

reedap1
07-06-2022, 08:35 AM
Greetings,

I'm looking for a dry tumble powder coat color that will mimic, as close as possible, the color of a jacketed copper bullet. Smoke4320 used to sell Translucent Copper, but apparently, the formulation has changed and it will not dry tumble. There are a number of colors sold by Prismatic, Eastwood, and others that look like they are close from the photos, but I thought I would ask for your experiences before buying some of them. I want to use this color for my rifle hunting loads in contrast to my other bright colors used for plinking loads.

Has anyone used such a color and what has been your experience with the coating process? Let me know the color and manufacturer, please.

Thanks in advance for your insight,

Paul

charlie b
07-06-2022, 01:46 PM
Not sure where this is headed...but...you could coat them in a dark grey, almost black, and call them moly coated bullets.

36g
07-06-2022, 02:01 PM
There are a variety of "metallic" powders that are added to casting resins that might be workable if mixed with a white or clear powder coat powder. Take a look for casting resins and metallic powders on Amazon. Something there might work.

oldsman
07-06-2022, 06:03 PM
eastwood copper metallic is a no go , dos not flow out . comes out blotchy

oley55
07-06-2022, 08:07 PM
no direct experience here, but I have read MANY threads here which indicate the ole 'shake n bake' method very rarely works with metallic powders.

mehavey
07-07-2022, 12:01 AM
See https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?407314-Copper-Vein&p=4968246&viewfull=1#post4968246

Luke-299
07-08-2022, 12:27 AM
Something like this?
This is clear PC mixed with red in a 5:1 ratio.

Poly pellets or ASBB make the colour smooth

poppy42
07-08-2022, 12:35 AM
Sounds like someone’s range doesn’t allow lead projectiles. Lol

Luke-299
07-08-2022, 02:41 AM
I don't think you can hide lead bullets if the range officer looks more than one second at the ammo.

I would not risk to get kicked out...

reedap1
07-08-2022, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the replies, some colors to investigate. I assure you I am not planning anything nefarious with my range, currently, I can shoot whatever I want (outdoor range). I want to use the copper color for my hunting loads as another means of identifying them. I appreciate the input.

Luke-299
07-08-2022, 06:55 PM
Mix the powder well before you add it to the container with the bullets and ASBBs. And just add enough to get an even coating. Even the european non-TGIC clear powder sticks like crazy. I have tried a few colours that would not stick at all on their own. I think it has something to do with the missing TGIC. When mixed 1 part colour with 5 parts clear they begin to stick to the bullets.

quasi
07-14-2022, 05:47 AM
What is TGIC?

gwpercle
07-14-2022, 12:59 PM
Sounds like someone’s range doesn’t allow lead projectiles. Lol

:goodpost:
LIKE !

bubbau
07-21-2022, 07:21 PM
TGIC (triglycidyl isocyanurate) is a chemical compound formulated in some powder
coatings as a curing agent; this curing agent has been used safely for over 40 years. TGIC
is blended with polymers and pigments during the powder coating manufacturing
process. During the powder coating manufacturing process TGIC is encapsulated by the
polymers in the formulation. The compounded material is then delivered to an industrial
finishing operation for application.
Powder coated items receive a heat treatment in an industrial oven which allows the
powder layer to melt and chemically react, to form a hard and durable surface. The TGIC
contained in some powder coatings chemically reacts with polymers during this curing
process and transforms into a very stable polymeric matrix.
Industry studies have concluded that TGIC in powder coated finishes is chemically bound
into a polymer and cannot volatilize or leach into the environment. Past studies have also
shown that products coated with a TGIC powder coated finished are considered non-toxic
and do not a will not present a health risk to the consumer.

quasi
07-21-2022, 10:05 PM
Thank you for the explanation.

Smoke4320
07-22-2022, 03:17 PM
I will have orange\brown back in stock next week . Its as close as I can find at this point to have a similar to jacketed coating