PDA

View Full Version : what's the Favorite Primer tool ?

kens
07-05-2022, 08:59 PM
I did a search and couldn't find this. I'm sure has been asked before, but I didn't find it.
What is your favorite primer tool? No, not on a progressive press, I aint got one.
Favorite hand tool, or bench tool.
I have a Lee hand primer, and it is OK,
there is the 'other' brands comparable tool
Lee has a bench primer that looks interesting, anybody got feedback on that?
Please let me repeat, I do not prime on a press ram, not single stage no press
So, what is the favorite hand tool or bench tool? or similar
Thanks

redriverhunter
07-05-2022, 09:16 PM
I like this one RCBS 90200 Hand Priming Tool. I have tried two of lee makes and I do not use them as they are more trouble than they are worth. I purchased the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Perfect Seat Hand Primer Seating Tool. I thought I got the best thing out there, well the thing works but the to me the tolerances are too loose.

pworley1
07-05-2022, 09:40 PM
The RCBS is my favorite hand primer.

Bmi48219
07-05-2022, 10:23 PM
I’ve use the Lee auto-bench primer for five years or so. A good unit for the $$. Just really have to remember to raise the arm ALL THE WAY UP after setting the primer. If you short stroke it you risk jamming the feed head. It comes with a LP & an SP feed gizmo. Plastic. That is the weak link. After 10K primers each of mine broke but they sent the redesigned ones which have held up well. I had primed over 50K cases when the cast metal base cracked. Again replaced at no cost. One caveat is that you need to use Lee case holders, it won’t work with anything else. I found a set for $15.00 on flea-bay. So I’ve got a total of $45.00 in it and by now easily 85,000 primed cases through it.
I’m sure there are superior primers available but it works fine for me.

auto5man
07-05-2022, 11:02 PM
I have and use the Hornaday hand priming tool. I've used it for several thousand loadings, and although it DOES work...to me its a little troublesome at times. I've read enough positive reviews on the RCBS tool to want one. Seems like those with the LEE tool gripe about it as well. I've never personally used the LEE myself, though, so can't comment more specifically than what I've read.

ETA: all of my comments are in regard to hand priming tools, I like to prime OFF press (usually while I'm sitting around watching TV).

doghawg
07-05-2022, 11:05 PM
I've still got a couple of the old style Lee hand priming tools and a K&M but probably 90% of my priming lately is done with the RCBS bench tool.

Binky
07-05-2022, 11:25 PM
I got about 50 years into a RCBS bench mount tool that I bought used. Works well for me. Before that I used a Bonanza bench mount ( also bought used, but I broke it. ) Forester bought out Bonanza and changed the design and I have only read good things about it. Started like most, with priming on the press.

BJung
07-05-2022, 11:41 PM
I still use the discontinued Lee hand primer and like it. Once before I owned an RCBS hand primer, didn't like it, and sold it.

Noah Zark
07-05-2022, 11:43 PM
I have two Lee Auto-Prime hand tools, have used them for 35+ years and have had no reason complain about them. One is permanently set up for large and the other for small. All of the shell holders are stored on a large hinged key ring in the translucent Rubbermaid storage box that holds both Lee tools and all four feed trays.

The technique I've used is to seat a primer with one stroke, rotate the case 180 degrees and give it another stroke. Never had a problem, and I give both ends of the ram link a dab of grease every now and then. I also "flip" primers using a separate tray before flipping them into the Lee feed tray, rather than hold the Lee tool while flipping primers cup-up in the Lee tool feed tray.

Noah

pertnear
07-05-2022, 11:54 PM
Settled on a RCBS bench mount tool. Dumped all my hand priming tools years ago.

David2011
07-06-2022, 02:18 AM
I’ve tried several. The RCBS bench priming tool wins, hands down, for me.

414gates
07-06-2022, 03:06 AM
Rcbs APS press mounted priming tool.

msinc
07-06-2022, 03:19 AM
Well.....I have tried several. The good ole Lee works and I use it a lot when I am loading in quantity. I have the Bonanza too and I like it, but it is a little more time consuming to load the primers. I have to say that it has a better "feel" when seating than the Lee. If I am really trying to be accurate I use the Lee "Ram Prime". It is slow, but I feel like you get more consistency in seating.

abunaitoo
07-06-2022, 03:36 AM
I use a RCBS APS strip bench mounted primer majority of the time.
I've tried many different ones, and the best handheld is the old, round tray, Lee prime.
For some reason, it has the easiest lever to push.
Not liking any of the newer Lee hand primes.

dale2242
07-06-2022, 04:33 AM
RCBS Bench Mount .
After trying about all I have settled on this one.

Shawlerbrook
07-06-2022, 06:19 AM
RCBS Bench tool

Sasquatch-1
07-06-2022, 06:38 AM
RCBS Universal Hand Primer. Liked it so much I bought a second one, so I didn't have to make the minor change needed from small to large primers. Another plus is you can set a whole tray of primers (any of the major brands) in the feeding tray and flip. I have used the Hornaday but like the RCBS much better

stubshaft
07-06-2022, 07:00 AM
Discontinued Lee hand tool for me. I've owned the RCBS and a K&M (which I still use sparingly) but the Lee gets the most use.

lotech
07-06-2022, 07:02 AM
21st Century

farmerjim
07-06-2022, 07:24 AM
I started with the RCBS hand priming tool and still use it for small batches, but for large batches I use the Lee automatic case primer (ACP). It is fast with the tube feeders and the collator.

GhostHawk
07-06-2022, 07:54 AM
I took the time to do some research on this subject some 6 years back.

My answer was the RCBS Universal hand tool.

No swapping shell holders, it holds everything from .32acp to .444marlin.

My only complaint for years was I had to switch parts betweeen large and small primers. Until I got lucky and found a good used one for sale here. Now I have 2, my first which does large (and has all the parts)
And my second which does small and is missing a couple of parts but only cost me half.

So now I am truly happy. I can load primers in a tray, pick up a batch of mixed brass from the range, and prime and sort them as I go.
No switching nuttin but brass.

And I have learned that just a little smear of sizing lube on the main shaft keeps all actions smooth and easy.
I like the fact that I can tell by feel when a primer is seated correctly.

Your mileage may vary but that is what works for me.

Eddie1971
07-06-2022, 08:12 AM
RCBS universal hand primer for me with everything except 8mm Lebel. I pull out my old Lee press mounted priming set up for that.

ioon44
07-06-2022, 08:54 AM
I use the RCBS Bench primmer tool for rifle and my Dillon 550 for pistol, I don't see a need for anything else.

Baltimoreed
07-06-2022, 09:25 AM
Old Lee Autoprime with the round tray. I use two, one set up for LRP and one for SRP. I prime my handgun ammo on my Dillon and Lyman presses.

Geezer in NH
07-06-2022, 10:15 AM
30+ years on an RCBS Bench prime using the tubes.

WardT
07-06-2022, 10:18 AM
Lee bench prime. As said earlier, lift handle all the way up.

Kraschenbirn
07-06-2022, 10:31 AM
'Bout a year and a half ago, I got a deal on a lightly used RCBS bench tool...my two Lee Auto-Primes (one for LP and one for SP) haven't been out of their storage bin since.

Bill

Electrod47
07-06-2022, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=Baltimoreed;5426419]Old Lee Autoprime with the round tray. I use two, one set up for LRP and one for SRP.

Ditto, since 1979....Though most of my priming happens on Lee progressives. I have 3 of these permanently set up for 38/357, 44/44mag and 45Colt

Brassmonkey
07-06-2022, 11:45 AM
I use a RCBS APS strip bench mounted primer majority of the time.
I've tried many different ones, and the best handheld is the old, round tray, Lee prime.
For some reason, it has the easiest lever to push.
Not liking any of the newer Lee hand primes.

I'm still trying to get the hang of that thing. 500 cases in and I wonder if it's worth the hassle of loading the strips.

ShooterAZ
07-06-2022, 11:53 AM
I'm another fan of the RCBS bench mounted tool. I have previously used the Lee hand tool with the round tray, and pretty much wore it out. It worked well though. I then tried a couple of the RCBS hand priming tools, and wasn't very impressed. I'm sticking with the RCBS bench mounted tool. I have it mounted on a 1x block of wood so I can swap it around with my Dillon Super Swage tool.

super6
07-06-2022, 12:15 PM
RCBS 90200, Twenty years and still works great. The cast aluminum frame refuses to brake! Cheap and easy and small to large primer change is two minutes. I do a hundred at a time, If more is ever needed I would look into the bench mount rcbs as others have posted.

Pb Burner
07-06-2022, 12:15 PM
I have used the old Lee round tray hand primer for many years and like it.. After hearing that replacement parts were getting hard to find and knowing mine is probably overdue to break, I bought a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer for a spare.
I've heard fairly good reviews on the FA priming tool. I've had mine a couple of years now and I've never tried it. If/when the old Lee breaks one day I know I've got a backup!

gwpercle
07-06-2022, 01:46 PM
I have two :
1.) Old round tray Lee priming tool , still working but has tape in places , glue on some parts and it's getting old .
2.) The Lee Hand Press with the Ram-Prime priming tool that came with the Lee Hand Press .
Actually makes a dandy hand priming tool , everything is metal nothing to break ... no safety features to hang up primers and no mickey mouse plastic parts or folding tray parts that is so flimsey it doesn't look like it will last .
Yeah ... the hand press and Ram-Prime is a simple fool-proof all metal , strong set up ...
I think I really like it !
Gary

Green Frog
07-06-2022, 02:42 PM
Great thread! I'm a collector of priming tools (OK, a hoarder) and for my Schuetzen rifles I usually use are Pope style made by the late Jerry Simmons. I like them because they both remove the fired primer and seat the fresh one. for everything else my go-to hand priming tool tends to be the venerable Lee aluminum body tool with screw-in shell holders. They haven't been made for decades but are still actively bought and sold at gun shows and on auction sites. I've attempted to build up a lifetime supply of tools and shell holders.

Froggie

15meter
07-06-2022, 05:07 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?384739-RCBS-Universal-Priming-tool/page2

Here's an earlier dissection of priming tools.

I still use the RCBS bench tool, even think there's a spare on a shelf somewhere. And I think there is the Lee that took the screw in shell holders out there also.

20 and under get done on the Rockchucker or the T-Mag, one at a time with the priming arm. First loads of a new to me cartridge or small batch test loads.

Volume priming is done with the RCBS Bench primer or on Dillon's for full progressive loading.

kens
07-06-2022, 05:14 PM
I have some question please.
What the difference of RCBS hand tool and, RCBS Universal hand tool?

Are all pickup tubes the same? How do you load them? (for the bench tool)

Baltimoreed
07-06-2022, 06:09 PM
Was given one of the RCBS hand priming tools. A beautiful piece of aluminum engineering that is impossible to comfortably use. I can’t figure it out no matter how I hold it. Tried it a couple times to prime 300 blkout and went back to the good old Autoprime. I have had to jbweld broken thumb levers with 1/8 aluminum plates several times. They seem to be holding up.

Walter Laich
07-06-2022, 08:39 PM
RCBS bench mount tool

I extende the handle a bit due to some physical limitations on my part

John Guedry
07-07-2022, 08:59 AM
I use the round tray Lee, got two of 'em one for large one for small. One day they're gonna break beyond repair. Worry about that then.

almar
07-07-2022, 09:49 AM
Sinclair priming tool

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/priming-tools/hand-tools/sinclair-priming-tool-prod37732.aspx

Walks
07-07-2022, 11:32 AM
RCBS Std Priming tool.
No tubes just mounts to the bench. RCBS hasn't made it in years.
Usr RCBS Hand Priming tool for most priming thses days. Sit the the recliner and watch old Westerns while I prime cases.

TNsailorman
07-07-2022, 02:16 PM
I mostly prime while watching a college football game, baseball game or a good western. I use an older RCBS Posi-Prime or an older screw shell holder Lee style hand primer and load one primer at a time. I am in no hurry. james

guzma393
07-07-2022, 02:30 PM
RCBS hand priming tool for 9mm and things that don't really have tight primer pockets. Lee Ram prime for things I really want to bottom-out on the seating...ginex primers are seated exclusively on the ram prime because of their slightly oversized specs. Was looking at the RCBS auto bench prime, but I think the RCBS hand priming tool and the lee ram prime does the job.

schutzen-jager
07-07-2022, 02:48 PM
old style Lee auto prime has performed with complete perfection for over 5 decades priming apx. 1500 assorted rifle + pistol cases per year - since Lee discontinued them + replacement parts i buy spares whenever i see them at yard + estate sales - jmho the new style Lee auto prime is totally inferior -

porthos
07-07-2022, 07:47 PM
all that i have used for close to 50 years is the older lee hand priming tool. this tool is adjustable for seating depth. since this is all that i use; someone school me on what other hand tools are adjustable for seating depth???

Mal Paso
07-07-2022, 08:51 PM
Another RCBS APS Bench Mount here.

I'm still trying to get the hang of that thing. 500 cases in and I wonder if it's worth the hassle of loading the strips.

I've had mine about 8 years now and getting the strips out of the loader was getting near impossible. I noticed the row of locating pins was higher in the middle. I put shims under the clip on the back and slipped the steel clip off. There were 6 spring positions 4 of which were used. The 3 springs in the back were fine but 1 strong spring in the middle of the front was distorting the row of pins. I removed that spring and put 3 light springs from a HF assortment in the 3 front positions. Works fine now.

lightman
07-09-2022, 09:24 AM
I use the Sinclair tool that altar linked in post #40. Its expensive but very high quality. I'm another that primes while sitting in front of the TV.

Hickok
07-09-2022, 10:55 AM
After using up all the parts for the old model Lee due to breakage, I know use the RCBS hand tool. Had a bit of struggles until I realized the older RCBS shell holders wouldn't fit the hand tool, due to a smaller chamfer/bevel where the plastic do-dad goes into the shell holder. Newer shell holders have a larger chamfer/bevel that works perfectly.

I can say this much, the RCBS shell holder are VERY hard, as trying to enlarge the bevel on the bottom is difficult.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-09-2022, 11:52 AM
It just depends on what I'm loading, and how much. Normally I'll use the primer arm on my RCBS Rockchucker press. I had one of the old original RCBS squeezer priming tools, but after the handle broke for the 3rd time I ended up buying the new version which works, but not as easily. If you happen to luck into an old Lyman 310 tool and the appropriate priming chamber they work well.

DG

Rich/WIS
07-10-2022, 11:17 AM
Hand held doesn't work for me due to arthritis. Never liked using the primer arm system on the downstroke because it was hard to tell when the primer was fully seated. Settled on the long discontinued Lee Auto Prime II mounted on the small Lee C press. The APII is picky about what brand of primers used, works best with Remington or CCI which is not an issue for me, seldom use R-P and all my primers are CCI. Changing from small to large primers takes only a few seconds. When they discontinued them bought replacement trays and feed arms and even found a new one on E-bay as a spare.

Three44s
07-10-2022, 11:43 AM
I have some question please.
What the difference of RCBS hand tool and, RCBS Universal hand tool?

Are all pickup tubes the same? How do you load them? (for the bench tool)

Here you go:

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/hand-held/universal-hand-priming-tool/16-90201.html

And:

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/hand-held/hand-priming-tool/16-90200.html

The Universal uses a spring loaded set of jaws to grip the case. The 90200 uses post 1980 shell holders same as your press to hold the case.

I use the 90200 and an earlier bench mounted tool called the RCBS Standard as a back up to seat stubborn primers deeper.

Here is that one:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=IIUrO1nc&id=68BD7F286AEFF25C8BAADA7B9D29B59DBEF53DF1&thid=OIP.IIUrO1nc33VMNjvTjlVzVQHaGo&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunafrica.co.za%2Ffiles %2F05-2020%2Fad36131%2F159100096498329460_large.jpg&cdnurl=https%3A%2F%2Fth.bing.com%2Fth%2Fid%2FR.208 52b3b59dcdf754c363bd38e557355%3Frik%3D8T31vp21KZ17 2g%26pid%3DImgRaw%26r%3D0%26sres%3D1%26sresct%3D1&exph=459&expw=512&q=rcbs+standard+bench+priming+tool&simid=608011883096859627&form=IRPRST&ck=6179FDDCF28C33D6CD615DB8398D17D0&selectedindex=10&vt=4&sim=11

Three44s

TimD
07-10-2022, 05:25 PM
I don't know if all the tubes are the same, but this video shows the tube being loaded.

https://youtu.be/brK7xtoCde4?t=238

Its easier to watch than me trying to describe it! :wink:

GWS
07-13-2022, 08:20 PM
Another RCBS APS Bench Mount here.

I've had mine about 8 years now and getting the strips out of the loader was getting near impossible. I noticed the row of locating pins was higher in the middle. I put shims under the clip on the back and slipped the steel clip off. There were 6 spring positions 4 of which were used. The 3 springs in the back were fine but 1 strong spring in the middle of the front was distorting the row of pins. I removed that spring and put 3 light springs from a HF assortment in the 3 front positions. Works fine now.

Interesting.....I had a different problem or two on my strip loader. I noticed the primers were too often "proud" on a loaded strip causing loading hangs during feeding into the priming tool. RCBS suggested placing loaded strips on a flat surface and rolling something on top to press them all down evenly. I went a step further redesigning the outlet with a "marble" that rolled them all slightly recessed when I pulled them out. Worked great...no more proud primers.

Also added a tool on the intake side to make strips easier to slide in..... Push it in, press the handle down and it stop just where the strips slide. Pull it out and you can then seat the primers.....then push them out past the sprung marble....and they all seat slightly recessed.

https://i.postimg.cc/P5ZZxX66/IMG-1480.jpg

Added an oak base to make it usable in my easy chair. :) Love the loader now.

https://youtu.be/1q_SiKMSjjM

I posted a complete how-to thread on another forum.....

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/improving-rcbss-aps-strip-loader-video-demo-at-the-end.710373/#post-8836525

greenjoytj
07-18-2022, 09:31 AM
Started my priming with the priming arm that came with my LEE classic cast iron press.
It worked good.
But fear of over seating and getting the correct seating depth spurred me to try a LEE ram prime unit.
It worked good.
But I didn’t like the fact the tool was made of aluminium.

So I bought the steel version a ram prime unit made by RCBS.
It worked good.
But slow tedious and I had to handle each primer to put it in cup on the tool just like the LEE version.

Bought an RCBS Universal hand prime tool.
It worked good.
But priming over 50 cases a one time was too much pain in the hand for me.
Plus I had some cases that would slip out of the spring loaded jaws.
I liked the tray loading feature to hold the primers. I could get just 50 primers deposited into the tray without spilling any.

RCBS APS priming system was tried.
It worked but was too fiddly to load empty APS strips and I never found pre loaded APS strips for sale.

I didn’t want to try the type of priming tool that required all the primer to be stacked in a tube.
That system would be too easy for me to make a mistake.

The LEE Auto Bench Prime tool looked interesting, easy to understand advertising copy so I bought one there not expensive.

Priming nirvana has finally been reached.
The LEE Auto Bench Prime to is here to stay.
I had an early issue model so I did have a breakage on the plastic part.
No problem I had bought a spares kit a few years after I got mine after reading about parts breakage.
The new part is going strong.

This tool does have some idiosyncrasies:
The unit needs to be secured to a base board or bench top.
The operating lever must be fully raised to its stop on the up stroke, no short stroking.
The primer tray must be gently tapped about every 5 primers to get more to slide down the tray into position.
The tool does require you to purchase special case holders, not a problem their cheap.
This has been the best priming tool I have found.
If any major part breaks I’d buy another immediately and get LEE to send a replacement.

Rockzilla
07-18-2022, 07:50 PM
Sounds about right same here. Old Round Trays..Lee Autoprime, my goto priming tool still use
my original 2, one LP, the other SP, thousands of cases later,still going strong, used Lubriplate
anti seize (that silver stuff that gets on everything) to lube the contact parts, just a touch.
Then always on the look-out for xtras, everywhere.

-Rock

dverna
07-19-2022, 01:08 AM
Off the press, I used both Lee and RCBS hand primers until I got the RCBS bench prime tool. I like it.

kens
07-19-2022, 08:44 PM
I just got the Lee bench prime, got it setup, didnt even got 20 rounds 45acp and it is a big disappointment,
the worst Lee item I ever got.
WOW!!

edit, I tried it a second time and I now see the handle must be FULLY raised up every time.
much better now

ofreen
07-24-2022, 01:06 PM
I had one of the old original RCBS squeezer priming tools, but after the handle broke for the 3rd time I ended up buying the new version ...

I had the same experience with the original RCBS hand tool back in the late '70s and early '80s. Broke many handles. I sent the tool back to RCBS and they sent another one back. Hard to imagine how they made any money on those! Then out of the blue circa 1981 or so, I received a package from RCBS containing their new hand priming tool with the flipper tray. They must have kept track of those sending the older ones back. I have been using it since. I had to modify my older shellholders by deepening the bevel underneath, which was no biggie. I still have the original somewhere as a memento of how great RCBS customer service can be.

I also have the RCBS bench tool from the same time frame, and is probably my preference for feel and speed (once the tube is loaded). But I have to admit loading the tubes gets a little tedious when priming a lot of brass.

wilecoyote
07-24-2022, 05:46 PM
Sinclair

rustyshooter
07-24-2022, 07:44 PM
Wow! I guess I’m in the dark ages still. I like to use the RCBS positive ram prime unit. I have it in one of the stations on my turret press. Loading the tubes is annoying. Lol

Budzilla 19
07-24-2022, 07:46 PM
CH ram prime for rifle and small batch pistol, Dillon progressive for large batch reloading of rifle and pistol. RCBS hand prime, Lee Autoprime, old models. Just use whatever is handy for the application. Just my .02

RCL
07-30-2022, 09:40 AM
Mostly use my two K & M.

brass410
07-30-2022, 10:22 AM
Press mounted die in Big Max never had an issue with getting them seated deep enough its easy to crush them (makes for some excitement) I was never in a rush and still not, not the fastest way for sure, but it helps to kill time and reflect on life's little mysteries. Like why do I have multiple different priming tools from hand held to benchmount and yet insist on arduously priming one at a time with maximum labour intensity? Especialy now when you cant even get primers?