PDA

View Full Version : Built a PID for my lead pot

Shadow9mm
07-05-2022, 07:18 PM
With a significant amount of help help of my Father, who has worked with electronics his whole life, I was able to build a PID controller for my lead pot. Unfortunately the PID controller I selected only work in Celsius, so I will have to do some conversions.

Used a 10x10 steel electrical box. Added an extra separate outlet for my hot plate or other items. put in lights for both outlets and a switch that will turn them both off. put a fan in the box to blow over the heat sync for the solid state relay. This box should last me a lifetime!

Did my first test run today, worked great! Really looking forward to having a better control on my casting temps.

dannyd
07-05-2022, 07:28 PM
Great job

Shadow9mm
07-05-2022, 07:41 PM
Great job

Thanks, was about a 9hr build with his help. Me and my boys did most of the metal work prepping the box, and my dad did the wiring. However my dad said he spent around 60hours researching parts and designing the build. He put together layouts and schematics for the box and full wiring diagrams. He has a degree as an electronics technician, but he's basically an engineer, spent a bunch of his career in a test lab building equipment and fixtures among other things. But he's retired now. Blessed to have a awesome Father.

fc60
07-06-2022, 11:52 AM
Greetings,

Dig out the manual for the PID controller.

Usually, withing the configuration parameters is a field to switch from C to F.

Cheers,

Dave

popper
07-06-2022, 01:12 PM
Just set for 220 C and forget about it. Equals 428 F, fine for casting.

Mike W1
07-06-2022, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=fc60;5426487]Greetings,

Cheers,

Dave[/QUOTE

It will not change Io F on a Rex.controller. Don't waste your time trying.

lightman
07-06-2022, 04:16 PM
Nice looking job!

Shadow9mm
07-06-2022, 04:36 PM
Greetings,

Cheers,

Dave

I have been through the manual twice. also watched and tried several youtube tutorials, so far nothing has worked.

Walter Laich
07-06-2022, 08:37 PM
you'll get used to °C in no time. Mine is the same. Once set, you're pretty much done