PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax question

30calflash
07-05-2022, 02:19 PM
I'd like to try making some BP lube as mentioned by some here with beeswax and virgin olive oil or by adding TC bore butter which I did in the past for minies.

Anyways does it matter if it's white or yellow for making this lube? Thanks.

HWooldridge
07-05-2022, 03:26 PM
No - the lighter colored stuff may be more refined but the bullet lube doesn't care.

ascast
07-05-2022, 03:42 PM
yup new is white but it darkens with age if you pure white it has been very refined and bleached - it is fine to use.

BLAHUT
07-22-2022, 08:21 PM
I just use tolit bowl wax ring seal

greenjoytj
07-25-2022, 07:12 AM
I believe toilet bowl wax rings have not contained any beeswax for many many years it’s a cost thing.
I doubt there not even beeswax blended with other waxes. It’s a cost thing.

But if what ever those wax rings are made of if it is making a good bullet lube for your needs for BP & smokeless then have at it, you’ve found a good working lube recipe.

john.k
07-25-2022, 07:47 AM
Bees wax may get rare.....bees are killed en masse by termite chemicals,wasps and by the verroa mite

G W Wade
07-25-2022, 08:24 AM

Bowl rings are not Beeswax any more. Do it still work? GW

Lead pot
07-25-2022, 11:27 AM
No B Wax has not been used for some time. Now they use wax rings are composed of vegetable and petrolatum waxes. Polyurethane additives are added to it as well. These rings will last longer than the rings with B Wax mixes. B wax rings tended to get hard and brittle and would crack and this would cause leaks through the ceiling :D.
Fixed a lot of those leaks when I was a plumber :D

midnight
11-29-2023, 02:49 PM
I found one more use for toilet bowl rings besides seating toilets. I stuff them in a tin can and gently heat it until it is all melted. Then I dip a spool of fly tying thread into it and let it soak a while to get it soaked through. The sticky waxed thread works great for twisting dubbing for fly bodies.

Bob

2TM101
02-01-2024, 06:31 PM

Toilet seat rings are made from "Slack Wax" which is mostly petroleum. For smokeless powder though, this is actually just fine. Its only an issue when your powder contains sulfur. Sulfur + petroleum = Tar

StrawHat
02-03-2024, 08:45 PM
Toilet seat rings are made from "Slack Wax" which is mostly petroleum. For smokeless powder though, this is actually just fine. Its only an issue when your powder contains sulfur. Sulfur + petroleum = Tar

Thank you! It is always nice to get an explanation that explains the old wives tales!

Wes Kindig once told me that if you want to make a good BP lube use edible ingredients.

Kevin