PDA

View Full Version : 1867 rolling block

enfield
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Hello, I have picked up a rolling block dated 1876 on the reciever in 12.7x44r and it is made by husqvarna ( it has 2 screws to retain the axles instead of the single screw and crossbar design ) is this what is considered a #1 action ? I can't find much info on the net. I'm in the proces of converting some 348 winchester brass to fit the chamber. also what are some suggestions on fire forming cases, pistol powder ?, corn meal ?, wax plugs ? that sort of thing. thanks.

elk hunter
01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Enfield;

Since I'm new here I don't know if this has been covered before.

The Husky is probably #1 Remington size since they are from that era, but I don't have a number one to compare the two.

If I remember correctly I fire formed cases for my Husky rolling block 12.7x44 with the following load. New Winchester 348 brass, Winchester standard rifle primer, 12 grains of Bullseye powder, a small piece of tissue, filled the case to just short of full with corn meal and topped it off with a thin wax plug. When I fired them, I got a good case with an impression of the rifling that I then trimmed to length.

Hope this helps.

Elk Hunter

skeet1
01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Enfield,
For more info on your Rolling Block check out the Dutchman's website at http://dutchman.rebooty.com/rb.html . Hope this helps.

Skeet1

Buckshot
01-27-2009, 02:44 AM
..............Yes, they'd be considered #1 size, but as you note there are differences other then overall size.

.............Buckshot