PDA

View Full Version : Yo, Deputy Al! For your Webley.........

Buckshot
01-14-2006, 04:13 AM
...............Ya orta get one 8). I just bought one for my Victory model. I know it's not right, but it might fit? Kinda cool anyway.

WWII British .38 Webley Holster with Free Belt:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6572572487&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

....................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
01-15-2006, 11:42 AM
That WOULD be cool to cart the Webley around in. That sort of cost level keeps things off the radar screen of my financial director, too. She doesn't get too excited about gun prices, but flatly cannot understand why a good holster costs as much as it does. Gunleather is getting obscene, price-wise.

Thank you!

Buckshot
01-21-2006, 06:34 AM
...............Al, I got the holster and belt Friday afternoon. The holster looks like it was just made. It's inkstamped inside the flap with some maker's initials and a 1943 date. The brass springclip snap and stud are boch bright and shiny. The belt also looks like new, but a quick look reveiled no maker's mark.

Before leaving for work Friday afternoon I stuck the Victory model in it and snapped the flap closed. Kewl! The end of the butt is right there with the lanyard ring poking out.

Maybe have'ta get me some Brit shorts and hobnailed boots, and a Buck Ford pith helmet to wear when I shoot it?

..................Buckshot

Bret4207
01-21-2006, 08:35 AM
No way on the pith helmet Buck, you need one of those nifty Aussie Slouch hats with the one side clipped up. I'm picturing "Higgins" from "Magnum PI" wif more moosetash! Thing is, you get all done up like that and that David Fortier guy that writes for ST and Shotgun News will get the idea you're moving into his "dress up and play with guns and get my picture took" racket! He plays with all those exotic semiauto super gunz and you'll just have the 38. Better practice some more....

9.3X62AL
01-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Uh, right......pith helmet or slouch would be far better than the pink ascot you threatened for last year's rat hunt.

That still prompts nightmares.

Buckshot
01-22-2006, 07:28 AM
..............AH! I'll get 4Fingermick or ******wallace to kit me out. They'll know the right stuff!

.....................Buckshot

JSH
01-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Funny you guys would bring up these Webleys. I always thought they were an interesting rig. Never fooled with one. I did run across one last week, looked to be in very good shape, bore was excellent. The fellow said it was a 38? Here is my question, can these use a standard 38 case cut down or are they a bit different.
Another question, it had "war finish" i believe stamped on it. Price was $200 I believe. Grip had Webley on it as well. .
Jeff

9.3X62AL
01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
The 38 S&W case--and boolit--are fatter than the 38 Special/357 Magnum. The boolits (throats, really) run from .002"-.005" larger than the "standard" 38 Special boolit dimension (.358"), and the casing is about .006" wider at .386" than the 38/357's .379".

Starline makes 38 S&W brass, as do W-W and R-P. Cut-down 38 Special brass has the reputation of splitting upon firing in these roles, but I haven't tried it myself.

Buckshot
01-23-2006, 04:34 AM
................I think the stamping "War Finish" was a kind of defensive thing the manufactuerer applied. People used to the fine finishes might assume the rough and ready exteriors would also denote a lessened overall 'goodness'. A matter of esthetics if you will. If it looks good it will BE good.

If you look at some of the 1942 through 44 Russian M91/30's, and other's the exterior finish is just terrible compared to say a 1938 or earlier action. Our finely finished 1903's suffered a similar downgrade in fit and finish as a war expidient. However, the machinework in areas that mattered were of the same level as before.

Not only guns but many other objects too suffered the the 'Git er done" hurryup production. SouthBend lathe manufacturing was under pressure to make them quick and put them to work. Many of these are still around doing work and they wear a tag stating, "Made to War dept Spec".

...............Buckshot