PDA

View Full Version : Murray Lawn Mower

BudRow
06-28-2022, 07:08 AM
The rotary mower has the standard side discharge with the plastic hinged chute/deflector. When mowing I see nothing being cast out. So I lift the chute to clear the clog and I see a second plastic hinged gate that completely covers the discharge opening. Is this second cover there to give the mower a "Mulching Feature"? I want to remove it but don't really know it's purpose. Any ideas? Thanx

Rickf1985
06-28-2022, 07:44 AM
That is the mulching cover and is used with mulching blades. It is usually easily removable for when you want to discharge.

45DUDE
06-28-2022, 10:24 AM
Take it out and it will look like a boat throwing a rooster tail. It's there to keep from throwing rocks and breaking windows. I put a rubber strap on the outside rubber spring loaded flap on mine so I can raise it when in the open. Now I don't have to get off. It's a safety feature that wont let you mow wet grass.

farmbif
06-28-2022, 02:02 PM
I always liked watching the cut grass, sticks, rocks, rodents, whatever, being thrown out the grass chute on a mower. lets me know everyone is probably working like it should be.

Geezer in NH
06-28-2022, 03:51 PM
First thing I did when I got my ride on White Outdoor was through that flap out. Murry, cub cadet white and many others all by the same maker different colors and decals.

The rubber outer shoot is usually held up by a Bungy cord, so it doesn't clog.

Winger Ed.
06-28-2022, 08:28 PM
I took the flap & discharge chute off mine too.

When confronted-- I told Mrs. Winger I did it for two reasons:

1. The first rule of 'Man Law' clearly states, "Remove, or otherwise bypass all safety devices, and throw away the instructions".
2. I have it stripped down for racing.

Geezer in NH
06-29-2022, 01:33 PM
Yes!!!!!!!

john.k
07-01-2022, 05:59 AM
I had to remove all that with my new mower,or no way would it mow wet grass.......and first ten minutes with the new mower,the belt was smoked ......didnt realize what was happening for few seconds ,belt now set for an early fail.............whats the use of a mower that chokes on wet grass? useless when it rains twice every day.........my 35 yr old mower never choked on wet grass,the cutter deck has no sides,top is a flat plate......new one is junk ,except it starts easy and has a soft seat.

jsizemore
07-02-2022, 09:03 AM
And an adult beverage holder, I hope.

elmacgyver0
07-02-2022, 09:19 AM
Funny, my mower doesn't have all that junk.
Course it was made back in 1976.