PDA

View Full Version : WWII C-I-L ammuntion - Corrosive Primers?

Kraschenbirn
06-26-2022, 02:15 PM
I'm looking at a lot of Canadian 30-06 Ball from WWII. Packed in 20 round white carboard cartons, dated in March, 1942, it was made by the Dominion Ammunition Division of Canadian Industries Ltd (CIL) and headstamped "D.C. Co. 30 SPG" for Dominion Cartridge Co. .30 Springfield. I've looked through all my reference book (and online) and have found absolutely nothing specific after this ammo other than confirmation that CIL/Dominion did manufacture U.S. small arms ammo...30-06, .45 ACP, .50 BMG...during the war. No info pertaining to ammo specs, though.

Anyone have any idea if this stuff has corrosive or non-corrosive primers. For 'shooter' ammo, it doesn't make a lot of difference to me; back in the day, I shot a lot of corrosive-primed milsurp and can deal with the clean -up. For now, though, it'll make a difference in what I'm willing to pay for it.

Bill

Outpost75
06-26-2022, 02:31 PM
If primers have nickle-plated cups they are normal commercial noncorrosive primers. If brass cups likely corrosive.

36g
06-26-2022, 02:42 PM
Most WWII ammo was corrosive primed. The primary exception was .30 Carbine ammo. Treat the .30-06 as corrosive...

Winger Ed.
06-26-2022, 02:51 PM
If it's original stuff, I'd count on it being corrosive primed and clean accordingly.

A handy test I've heard of to test for them is get a bare steel plate,
Then shoot just a primed case against it. Next, shoot a known new age primed case beside it.

Leave it out side for a day or two.
If the impact spot of the one in question rusts way sooner than the new one-- it's a corrosive primer.

JoeJames
06-26-2022, 03:14 PM
Without re-checking I think any military 30-06 made before about 1954 is generally corrosive. Not sure on the exact date but it is around that time period. I checked awhile back because I have several en-bloc clips of 1947 dated 30-06.

Outpost75
06-26-2022, 03:32 PM
When the war broke out all work in process components were diverted for war production where possible. I have some . 30-'06 AP and tracer in Browning fabric belts having aircraft ring crimp and being headstamped WRA Co. .270 Win. with nickel plated primers and blue annulus which are non corrosive.

leebuilder
06-26-2022, 04:55 PM
Usually the corrosive primers were .250 in diameter and copper color. They did use them up into the fifties in 303.

Mk42gunner
06-26-2022, 09:26 PM
As usual Outpost75 taught me something in this thread. With that stated; I would treat all wartime .30-06 as corrosive primed, until proven otherwise.

It doesn't take all that much time, components or effort to clean a rifle after shooting corrosive primed ammo; but if it is corrosive primed and you don't treat it as such-- your rifle will not appreciate it.

Robert

nicholst55
06-26-2022, 09:34 PM
Here's a link to a .pdf document that lists the changeover dates and Lot numbers for corrosive primers. Dominion made millions of rounds for the USG during the war. According to this reference, all .30-06 were non-corrosive.

http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/docs/CorrosivePrimerRedux.pdf

Rich/WIS
06-27-2022, 10:27 AM
The NRA Reloader book has a note that Dominion was misidentified as NC when some was in fact corrosive. according to Hatcher's Notebook Dominion did make NC 30/06 for the US, but production was in 1945. A 42 headstamp is likely corrosive.

Outpost75
06-27-2022, 12:01 PM
As usual Outpost75 taught me something in this thread. With that stated; I would treat all wartime .30-06 as corrosive primed, until proven otherwise.

It doesn't take all that much time, components or effort to clean a rifle after shooting corrosive primed ammo; but if it is corrosive primed and you don't treat it as such-- your rifle will not appreciate it.

Robert

Commercial non corrosive primers were nickel plated for identification. So were experimental non corrosive primers. Millions of red phosphorus P4 primers were loaded at FA, mostly AP-tracer in linked pack.

Kraschenbirn
06-27-2022, 02:06 PM
The NRA Reloader book has a note that Dominion was misidentified as NC when some was in fact corrosive. according to Hatcher's Notebook Dominion did make NC 30/06 for the US, but production was in 1945. A 42 headstamp is likely corrosive.

Looking at the pdf provided by nichol55, I noticed that discrepancy in dates. Ammo in question has a commercial headstamp "D.C.Co. .30 SPG" (no date) and primers are not plated but the plain, military-style cartons are stamped only with a "March, 1942" packing date without a lot # so I'm going to assume they're corrosive-primed and place my offer to buy accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Bill

wv109323
06-29-2022, 04:53 PM
Joe James is correct. I think American ammo was corrosive up until 1954 but some contractors switched over before 1954. It depends on caliber and contractor. But I would say 1942 is corrosive.

Shiloh
07-05-2022, 07:12 PM
Most WWII ammo was corrosive primed. The primary exception was .30 Carbine ammo. Treat the .30-06 as corrosive...

Sage advice.
Until tested for sure, consider it corrosive.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=15831

Shiloh

Adam Helmer
07-08-2022, 05:05 PM
Ancient military WWII ammo should be considered corrosive. Hot soapy water is cheap and effective at removing corrosive residue. Per the Old Army Manual, hot, soapy water works for all military arms from WWI and WWII now residing in pristine condition in my collection. I still clean my guns with hot, soapy water, dry patch and oil even when I am shooting current NC primed cast boolits.

Adam