PDA

View Full Version : Alternate containers for powder?

lar45
06-26-2022, 12:42 AM
Hello everybody.
I received part of my inheritance early and included with all of thr 12ga reloading supplies was a
12# keg of 700X !
The powder has been stored in a cool, dry, dark place in its original metal keg for 40+ years.
I looked at the powder and it looks and smells great.
So now my question, if I want to leave some with my son, what kind of container would be safest?

JimB..
06-26-2022, 08:01 AM
Modern plastic powder containers, with the labels removed of course and them properly marked.

If you look at the bottom of the current powder containers there is a mark that indicates what they are made of, but I don’t remember what it is.

dale2242
06-26-2022, 08:07 AM
What JimB said ^^^^
Use powder containers with the original label removed unless of course it`s a 700X can.
Mark it with a new label using a permanent marker and glue or tape it securely to the container.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-26-2022, 09:30 AM
Assuming you are like myself (and many of us), and save empty powder containers, that is what I'd recommend. I like them, not only because they are the correct type of plastic (usually black), but they have all the correct safety labeling and warnings. Of course, I apply the correct name and maker and lot #, while removing the previous name, maker, and Lot #.
BUT, in all honesty, Any HDPE marked bottle in black should be ok to use.

wilecoyote
06-26-2022, 05:14 PM
I bought Valvoline sae50 mineral oil in boxes of about 12 liters_ the 12 black plastic containers of 1 liter or 750 cc., I don't remember exactly, had the same texture, consistency and resistance to chemical agents as the one Kg. Vihtavuori powder containers.
if carefully washed and degreased, I believe that black plastic containers for motor oil are also suitable for powder, and vice versa_

MT Gianni
06-26-2022, 07:45 PM
In 1993 a friend ordered a 33 lb keg of H4831 after the first Hillary scare. I bought 8 lbs delivered in [2] two liter pop bottles washed and dried. One was clear and the other green. They were stored in a basement with temps between 60 and 75 F and lasted until about 2003. There was no change in the loads I shot with it.

Winger Ed.
06-26-2022, 08:03 PM
In a pinch, I put a few pounds of pull down powder for 50BMG in two layers of those
vacuum seal food/freezer bags, (one inside the other) then stored them in a drawer of the garage refrigerator.

So far, so good with that, and it's been in there about 15 years.

WRideout
06-26-2022, 08:12 PM
I have used empty mayonnaise jars to dispense from my 8 lb. keg of Promo without any issues. One tip: you can use anything to label the container, but put clear plastic tape over it. It keeps the label from falling off, or smudging and becoming unreadable.

Wayne

243winxb
06-26-2022, 08:50 PM
Any HDPE marked bottle in black should be ok to use. HDPE is on the bottom of some Hodgdon smokeless bottles i have. Black is to keep the sun off the powder.

Mine are white frosted. Stored in basement. Never sees the sun.