PDA

View Full Version : Spare ammo for single action revolvers

Duckiller
06-25-2022, 03:45 PM
How do people carry spare ammo for a single action revolver when hunting? For double action guns I carry a couple speed loaders. Not sure what to do for black hawks. I do not have a belt with ammo loops. May have to use zip lock bags in a pocket. There should be a better/prettier way to carry ammo. Any and all suggestions gladly accepted. Primary calibers are 357 and 44Mag. Thanks for all suggestions.

jreidthompson1
06-25-2022, 03:58 PM
There are carriers that slide on your regular belt for spare ammo. Also have read that folks use the speed strips. Will see if I can find links

https://images.app.goo.gl/wbLWTTe1SJ6442zy9

https://images.app.goo.gl/TxV3RGvS7rFu69ab8

https://hardcoreleatherworks.com/shop/ols/products/6-round-cartridge-carrier-45-long-colt-44-magnum
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1210860911/leather-ammo-holster-please-read?ref=share_v4_lx&variation0=2560458038

https://www.etsy.com/market/leather_ammo_carrier

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Most-Versatile-Ammo-Pouch-Leather-Ammo-Pouch.cfm?item_id=170&parent=671

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/Most-Versatile-Ammo-Pouch-Leather-Ammo-Pouch.cfm?item_id=170&parent=671

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013366788

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

stubshaft
06-25-2022, 04:01 PM
For eradication hunts I use a full gunslinger belt with ammo loops and for deer hunting I use a six round belt slide.

georgerkahn
06-25-2022, 05:47 PM
How do people carry spare ammo for a single action revolver when hunting? For double action guns I carry a couple speed loaders. Not sure what to do for black hawks. I do not have a belt with ammo loops. May have to use zip lock bags in a pocket. There should be a better/prettier way to carry ammo. Any and all suggestions gladly accepted. Primary calibers are 357 and 44Mag. Thanks for all suggestions.

My two "huntin' woods" calibres are same as yours: .357 and .44. I use speed strips -- made by Binachi. I had some with stripper-clip style sliding, making it easier (so I thought) to load my S A Ruger, and ordered/received some of the Bianchi ones with dedicated spots for each round by (my ;)) mistake. It turns out I like these much better. Interestingly, a real beauty is, while being 100% truthful, I carry only .44 S&W Special loads for my .44 Rem Mag -- I love the fact that I carry .38 S&W Special rounds in one speed clip to complement the .357 fodder I have in my revolver.
A good video on using the Boanchi is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZPHslGjYe8
I love the fact that, albeit I carry my strips in a trouser pocket, the primer/head is kept clean, dry, and well protected. The rounds are held in place, too, so there's no digging in leaves or snow to find the one dropped from either loose- or zip-lock-bag- storage.
...what I do...
geo

charlie b
06-25-2022, 05:57 PM
I've been using Bianchi speed strips for backup ammo as long as I've carried a revolver. I am a bit 'fumble fingered' so these things save me from dropping cartridges on the ground when reloading.

I've carried them in pants pockets, in small belt pouches, jacket pockets, etc. When I wanted more protection from elements I put them in those 'wallet' cases.

My advice would be to practice with them, a lot. I 'wore out' a couple of them doing that, but, they are really inexpensive so pick up a lot of them.

Texas by God
06-25-2022, 06:36 PM
If a .41 magnum is your choice, a brass stripper clip from the formerly plentiful and cheap Turkish 8x57mm ammunition will carry 5 silently.
If I need more than 11 total rounds of .41 to fill the freezer- that's too bad.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220625/c8b0daed102b544bb613141ae49e67bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

contender1
06-25-2022, 10:19 PM
If you look around,, MTM used to make, (and they may still make them,) an "Ammo Wallet" for handgun calibers. I have some in different calibers.
But when hunting,, with a revolver,, I also have a Barranti ammo slide, that carries 6 rounds.
Another option, that's CHEAP,, is to buy a slip on stock ammo carrier. They make them for rifle calibers,, that slip over a stock. A simple stitching to close them down a bit for handgun calibers is easy. AND being elastic, can slip over an arm, or a wrist.

M-Tecs
06-25-2022, 10:40 PM
Loose in my pocket. When revolver hunting I have never fired more than two shots out of the cylinder.

Bazoo
06-25-2022, 10:51 PM
Right now I’m carrying a desantis 3x3. Simplyrugged makes a couple pouches. 2x2x2 and most versatile that I’d go with next time.

megasupermagnum
06-25-2022, 10:59 PM
I tried those MTM ammo wallets. Useless to me. They only fit super short rounds unless you stagger them, but then they hardly fit any for how big they are. A lot of times I carry loose in a pocket. If it's just a few handgun rounds, it's ok. A lot of times they end up mixed in with some brass or something else you forgot and jingle a lot. The best thing I've found is speed strips. You don't loose rounds in the bottom of a pocket, and they are silent. Try this following brand. I've found them to be the best, their speed strips are made of nice and pliable rubber. It seems the Bianchi ones today are almost plastic like.

https://jspmanufacturing.com/collections/magazine-loaders-1/products/44-mag-410-shotgun-45-lc?variant=37497601786022

sharps4590
06-26-2022, 08:04 AM
Loose in my pocket. When revolver hunting I have never fired more than two shots out of the cylinder.

Yes sir. Same conclusion and experience.

Thumbcocker
06-26-2022, 08:53 AM
This and an ammo wallet.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220626/9f3618a93fae39083522155ed76347a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MostlyLeverGuns
06-26-2022, 09:21 AM
I mostly use the 6 cartridge belt slide,sometimes 2 of them, I have some leather ones from El Paso Saddlery and Black Cordurs (Uncle Mike's ?), also have some of the 'speedstrips', depending where I am going and for how long. Tried the MTM Ammo Wallets, more trouble than help.

Rick R
06-26-2022, 10:04 AM
If you look around,, MTM used to make, (and they may still make them,) an "Ammo Wallet" for handgun calibers. I have some in different calibers.
But when hunting,, with a revolver,, I also have a Barranti ammo slide, that carries 6 rounds.

I’ll throw an MTM wallet in my daypack, they keep ammo dry and quiet. Unfortunately they don’t make them for .45 Colt or .454 as far as I can tell.

While I carry speed strips with a D/A gun the six round belt slides seem like the best option if you’re carrying a SA or levergun.

JoeJames
06-26-2022, 10:39 AM
I carry my Ruger 4 1/2" 44 Special in an old M3 Shoulder holster I soaked in a tub of water and fitted for the Ruger. I have been looking around for awhile to try and find a bullet slide that would fit on the shoulder strap like the government had for the Victory Model pilot holster - seems like it was for 6-10 rounds or so on a slide. Any suggestions?

contender1
06-26-2022, 11:11 AM
I've used the MTM's w/o any issues for .357, .41, .44 & .45 colt. Most ammo isn't too long to fit, and the same wallet can hold .44's & .45's.

Many have discussed "not" needing many, if any spare rounds of ammo for hunting etc. I agree that if ALL you do is hunt, and ONLY shoot at an animal you shouldn't need more than what's in a gun.
However,, there are MANY reasons to have spare ammo.
Once you venture away from an easy way to carry a quantity of ammo, (gun range, vehicles etc.) you can find yourself in a place where more than 1-2 rounds is needed.
Animal attack.
People attack.
Injured, & needing to signal.
Unexpected survival situation.

And remember, a gun is useless w/o ammo.

I teach Hunter Safety, and I stress the need to have a safety signal device such as a whistle. However,, it's a recognized signal to use SOS,, and often by shooting.
Sudden survival, compounded by injury, (falls, broken leg, etc,) can put you in a place of NEED.
Animal attack. A man was recently rescued after being attacked by a griz. He had (2) rounds left for his gun. He was attacked several times over several days. He was rescued by an aircraft who saw where he's written SOS HELP on the roof of his cabin.
People attack. Sadly, hikers & others have encountered thugs in remote places. A recent news story about a couple kidnapped in Colorado comes to mind.

I'm not suggesting you carry 500 rounds. But I'm also saying you should have sufficient ammo, to as the BSA says; to "Be Prepared."

The OP has asked HOW to carry spare ammo, but didn't specify how much ammo. Offering good suggestions like the ammo wallet, speed strips, pouches, etc are all good ideas.

Larry Gibson
06-26-2022, 12:27 PM
I mostly carry the extra rounds (5 - 10 at most) in the left front shirt pocket or a small pouch on the belt when hunting with a revolver. I also have used the stripper clip [post #6 from Texas by God] method but use a Swede 6.5x55 stripper clip as it's made for a bit larger rim letting the 41s slide in and out a bit easier.

When plinking with handgun or rifle I prefer to use a claymore bag with the loaded ammo in one side and empties in the other.

Nueces
06-26-2022, 01:11 PM
When plinking with handgun or rifle I prefer to use a claymore bag with the loaded ammo in one side and empties in the other.

Good G2, thanks. Found a pair on ebay.

I still have a number of the MTM wallets. Blocky and hard, they are useful for stowing ammo, but less useful for carrying, at least in the 12 to 18 round sizes. Still made, available on Amazon and Midway.

Winger Ed.
06-26-2022, 01:44 PM
I never had very many gadgets and accessories.
I just put a few extra rounds in my pocket.

If I thought I was going to be in real danger, attacked by zombies, or get pinned down in a fire fight---
I'd have something other than a single action revolver.

david s
06-26-2022, 01:48 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sDB5cy58/IMG-2134.jpg (https://postimages.org/) I tend to use the Bianchi Speed Strip and a small homemade pouch that fits around my pants belt. I'm a lefty so pistol on the rear left side and spare ammo on the right belt front.

bisleyfan41
06-26-2022, 02:18 PM
I've used those MTM wallets. They useful for the task. I've also used a 1911 magazine whenever I hunt with my convertible Blackhawk shooting 45 Supers.

However, as mentioned above, I've never had to use more than what's in the cylinder. So I usually go without any. Of course, I'm not very far from civilization where I hunt, not miles into the backwoods or anything.

Goldstar225
06-26-2022, 02:49 PM
I've been studying on this myself. I've used a six round cartridge slide from El Paso Saddlery previously. Now, I've concluded that I'll get a speed strip pouch from Simply Rugged to hold a half dozen .45 Colt rounds with the side benefit that when I'm squirrel hunting it will serve to hold a few rounds of .22 ammo to feed my Single Six (not at the same time of course:grin:).

CastingFool
06-26-2022, 05:06 PM
I found these plastic holders at work. Some taps in the tool crib come packaged in them. Mu 45 colt fit in them, but you have to orient them properly. They work for 308 w, too301550

Bazoo
06-26-2022, 05:12 PM
I forgot to mention, I use ammo wallets too. I have some vintage yellow ones from flambeau for 44 that I picked up at an old gun shop. I keep one in the car and one in my pack of hunting or if I’m going gun store hopping with a friend.

sharps4590
06-27-2022, 07:56 AM
I never had very many gadgets and accessories.
I just put a few extra rounds in my pocket.

If I thought I was going to be in real danger, attacked by zombies, or get pinned down in a fire fight---
I'd have something other than a single action revolver.

The voice of common sense strikes again.

Wear cargo pants. Ya oughta be able to get a few hundred rounds in all those pockets, then just grab and go instead of fiddlin' around with boxes, loops or other such impediments.

G W Wade
06-27-2022, 08:21 AM
I still like Ammo Wallets. Have several, from pistol to rifle. Make sure a mark to be sure I have the right one (LOL) GW

No_1
06-27-2022, 08:55 AM
It’s a single shot, there is nothing fast about reloading it and for hunting how many rounds do you really need. A handful in my pocket does the trick.

elmacgyver0
06-27-2022, 10:05 AM
AmericasGunStore.com has some nice holster rigs for single action revolvers, belt have ammo loops.
A single action revolver without a decent holster rig is like eating a stack of pancakes without butter and syrup.
Why you would need more ammo than what is in the cylinder is a mystery for hunting unless you shoot a lot of game on one outing, of course it is always nice to have spare ammo.

gwpercle
06-28-2022, 01:33 PM
It’s a single shot, there is nothing fast about reloading it and for hunting how many rounds do you really need. A handful in my pocket does the trick.

You sound just like my Dad ... He would give me one ... 1 ... round and say ...
" You better make it count if you want another . "
He didn't believe on wasting ammo ... I don't think I ever saw him shoot at anything he didn't plan on eating ... I guess being raised during the the big depression ... it does things to you !
Gary

bisleyfan41
06-29-2022, 07:43 PM
The voice of common sense strikes again.

Wear cargo pants. Ya oughta be able to get a few hundred rounds in all those pockets, then just grab and go instead of fiddlin' around with boxes, loops or other such impediments.

You might also want to get some good suspenders AND a belt. A few hundred rounds in pants cargo pockets, you'll be running around like some city hoodlum with your pants hanging below your butt.

Duckiller
06-30-2022, 04:06 PM
Since my ammo supply has been questioned. I carry a magazine full plus a belt carrier or half a factory box well taped with heavy yellow duct tape. At least I think it is duct tape. Tapng was done by an uncle that sporterized my O3A3 many years ago. Uncle passed away about 40 years ago. For the most of my rifle hunting one round has sufficed. Except for first deer. That took the entire magazine of a Swedish Mauser carbine. She was running and I was excited. Shot low and broke all legs. Took two rounds to put her down. You have to aim even at two feet. Haven't decided how to carry spare ammo yet but I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

fastdadio
06-30-2022, 04:18 PM
I hunt the swamp with my .44 Bisley. I carry 6 extra in a speed loader simply to keep them neatly together at hand, and zipped in a small pouch on the side of my field pack. Every deer I shot with the .44 just died right there. In almost 30 years, I've never needed them. I still carry them though, I guess I just can't think of anything else to put in that little pouch.

rockshooter
07-01-2022, 12:49 AM
I discovered that an old flip-phone belt case holds 2 6-rnd speed strips for .357 that are easily accessible
Loren

No_1
07-01-2022, 08:27 AM
You sound just like my Dad ... He would give me one ... 1 ... round and say ...
" You better make it count if you want another . "
He didn't believe on wasting ammo ... I don't think I ever saw him shoot at anything he didn't plan on eating ... I guess being raised during the the big depression ... it does things to you !
Gary

When deer hunting I would end up carrying the single shot 16 ga. with 2 rounds “just in case another one comes around” while waiting for the truck to pick up me and my deer. When dove hunting I (again) got the 16 ga. but this time with enough rounds to “limit out” which was something that rarely happened when I was a kid. It did teach me something….

StrawHat
07-03-2022, 05:33 PM
My Italian single action revolver is chambered for the 45 ACP. I carry my spare ammo in a 1911 magazine.

Kevin

Savvy Jack
07-03-2022, 06:23 PM

A gunbelt!!

MT Gianni
07-03-2022, 08:09 PM
When shooting jackrabbits I kept a dozen in my pocket and 2 boxes of 50 in my fanny pack.

Earl54
07-26-2022, 01:00 PM
I use 303 british stripper clips for 44 magnum, speed strips for 357 magnum,and 1 coonan auto magazine also for 357 magnum. 45 acp magazine for 45 auto cylinder in ruger single action.

Electrod47
07-26-2022, 01:24 PM
Bianchi brand speed strips work great to feed right into a single actions loading gate. I have several. When toting my single actions w/o a gun belt I have a couple of these in my pocket. Very handy.

Soundguy
07-26-2022, 02:52 PM
Belt with ammo loops..speed strips in watch pocket or the slip on belt speed strips.

RJM52
07-29-2022, 07:35 AM
When hunting with a .41 SA there is a MTM Ammo Wallet in the fanny pack and a TUFF Products Speed Strip in the jacket pocket. Nice to top off the gun after shooting the game in case the bear in the area have learned that shots are a dinner bell....

GhostHawk
07-29-2022, 08:28 AM
The one thing I did not see that I expected to in this thread were the fabric slip over the buttstock of a long rifle ammo carrier. Normally 6-8 rounds. Slide it up your right arm, load it, ammo delivered to your fingers as needed.

That is an Uncle Mikes though if I can find the same thing in an Allen I prefer them.
I just think they are built better. Fewer hassles. Cost about 10$ and my local Mills Fleet Farm.

blackhawk44
07-29-2022, 03:59 PM
Crosman nylon velcro pellet pouch. Seven bucks. Velcro belt loop and closure. Caliber makes no difference. Get one for each caliber. Have even hung them from offside of shoulder rigs.

BLAHUT
07-29-2022, 04:12 PM
i use the federal high-power keepers that cones with their centerfire rifle ammo. cheap plastic has belt loops built in when they ware out just find another one.

freakonaleash
07-30-2022, 10:16 AM
I have never needed spare ammo. One and done.

Geezer in NH
08-05-2022, 06:13 PM
Bianchi brand speed strips, or ammo wallet. This is not for self-defense. For that DA Revolver and HK speed loaders but I prefer Glocks and spare magazines.

35 Rem
08-09-2022, 11:07 PM
For 44 Mag and 45 Colt I load the revolver and then put 15 extra rounds loose in my pocket. Keep it simple.

rintinglen
08-09-2022, 11:33 PM
Has anybody mentioned wheel barrows yet?

armoredman
08-10-2022, 02:09 AM

No, Gun Kid is still in prison, I think.

As for me, the only wheelgun I would hunt with right now is my stainless Uberti 1858 Remington BP, so spare ammo would be a spare cylinder in a belt pouch...when I get one.

gwpercle
08-10-2022, 02:14 PM

Okay ... Wheel Barrows

I mentioned wheel barrows !
Gary

Outpost75
08-10-2022, 09:19 PM
I carry my Ruger 4 1/2" 44 Special in an old M3 Shoulder holster I soaked in a tub of water and fitted for the Ruger. I have been looking around for awhile to try and find a bullet slide that would fit on the shoulder strap like the government had for the Victory Model pilot holster - seems like it was for 6-10 rounds or so on a slide. Any suggestions?

I had a 12-round canvas .44-40 or .45 Colt cartridge slide custom made Wolf Ears in Wyoming who specializes in reproductions of period web gear for the cowboy action shooters. Also had an 80-round .44-40 bandolier made with brass grommets to attach M1917 revolver holster or Bolo machete. Style similar to Spanish-American war or Pershing's punitive expedition for your Colt New Service and 1892 saddle ring carbine. Cost was reasonable for authentic design and quality of material and workmanship.