PDA

View Full Version : Sizing REAL Boolits

Super Sneaky Steve
06-24-2022, 10:08 PM
Everyone knows these bullets don't have to be sized. I've shot many and the heavy 50 cal works good for me, but I was thinking if I could size them a little bit maybe I wouldn't have to pound them in.

Mine drop at 0.517 and my bore is 0.501. I was able to pick up a Lee sizer for 0.510 which is still plenty oversized, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice any accuracy for ease of loading.

Has anyone tried this or am I going to have to experiment?

LAGS
06-24-2022, 10:35 PM
What is the diameter of your Cast REAL boolits .517.
Is that all the slug diameter , or just the widest part at the lower band ?
Do you use an over powder wad under the Boolits ?
What is the depth of you rifling ?

bedbugbilly
06-26-2022, 09:08 AM
The proof is in the pudding . . . . try it and see. If you already have the sizer it's worth a try just to see what the results would be. And please report back on your results. Personally, I think it might just work. In pushing the soft lead through the sizer, seems like you are just "repositioning the outer circumference of the fins (for want of a better word) to the diameter of your sizer - which should give you easier loading. If using without an over the powder card, my guess is that you still won't get much blobby "if" the fin diameter "is" a tad less than your groove diameter. Just a thought on my part. I would give it a try and see - your rifle will let you know when you see the results on paper at varying distances.

Good luck and I would love to hear your results.

RU shooter
07-03-2022, 10:46 AM
That’s odd on my 200 gr 45 cal I can just about thumb seat them to the top band and then a firm push on the rod , once it’s in the barrel I can seat it on the powder with two fingers on the rod . If you do descide to size them don’t go smaller than groove dia . They are designed to have the bottom band at land and top band at groove dia. Or a hair over not be one dia. The entire length

oconeedan
07-11-2022, 09:54 PM
Just making sure you are using pure lead. If not, you should be.

Gtek
07-11-2022, 10:14 PM
Slug the barrel and find out what it is and go for that. Maybe another mold of same to compare?

Woodnbow
07-11-2022, 10:15 PM
I size them to .510 for use in brass cartridges in a Smith carbine. I can get 40 grains of 2f Swiss behind the bullet and it’s a very accurate load as well. Deer within a hundred yards are in trouble…

Hellgate
07-12-2022, 12:48 AM
Be sure that when you cast them the driving bands are well filled out or they might not engage the riflings consistently.