PDA

View Full Version : New Manufacture Lyman Moulds

sundog
01-13-2006, 10:53 PM
I have one, inspected 9/12/05 by Cathy T. Before I even got it out of the plastic bag it was rubberbanded in I noticed something was different. I've not had a new Lyman mould in awhile - a long time. The 'spruce' plate is alot thicker. Looks like a RCBS 'spruce' plate. Really.

I've got a mil bolt match tomorrow and maybe some small bore thereafter, so it may be late tomorrow or the Lord's Day afore I can get on with this thing. Something's changed at Lyman, at least on this mould. Inspection of the rest of it is favorable, so far. Report to follow. I'm pleased at this point. btw, this is a 311299 from Midsouth which was $10 cheaper than Midway. sundog

edited to change '311291' to '311299'. Sorry, my mistake.

fatnhappy
01-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Glad to hear and good to know. Can you post the pertinent dimensions? I'm in the market for a 311291 and if Lyman has updated it's moulds then maybe I'm buying new.

sundog
01-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Okay, got the mould all cleaned up and prepped yesterday. Quality appears to be good. I especially like the new sprue plate, more like an RCBS. The boolit is a nominal 200 grainer, 1.179 long w/o GC, .300 x .310+. Partline diameter is .311+. That's almost round. At least close enough to keep working with it. Alloy is WW, shot, solder, and air gun pellet (for bismuth). I was getting ready to run some .22 boolits so just used the same melt. I did index the mould (re the other thread) so I could cavity segregate the boolits if needed. I use a sharp center punch and a light tap. One mark is right on the top edge of the forward band, almost indestinguishable, and you'd never see it if you didn't know it was there. The other is up the shank a little and visible, but not deep - just a circle of color. Since I water dropped this first batch, I may try to shoot some today or tomorrow in a scope 03 sporter, just for grins. If I do, I'll report back. Nice boolit (I've used the 314299 for years for fat 30s with good results but wanted to try the 311 version), nice mould, and glad I got it. sundog

added: almost forgot to mention. The cavities are just a tad sticky, but were getting better the more I cast. It took about 25 throws to get good boolits dropping. Hey, not bad for a new mould.

sundog
01-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I just checked (pun intended) two more things. Both cavities appear to be very close for size and weight. Both cavities seat a GC with no problem. sundog

Maven
01-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Sundog, I purchased a new Lyman #311644 several years ago from MidwayUSA after borrowing 2 others (i.e., -644's) from friends. It too had the thick sprue plate, but the ones I borrowed didn't. The packing slip said the mold was manufactured ~6/2001 if I remember correctly.

sundog
01-15-2006, 11:22 AM
oooops, I just looked at my first post and found I made a mistake. This is a 311299 not 311291. Looks like I've made my onliest allowable mistake for the year. And damn, it had to be early on.... sundog

RayinNH
01-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Sundog, if you make another mistake most of us won't remember it anyway (CRS). You'll probably get away with it. [smilie=l:...Ray

sundog
01-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Ray, mistake? What mistake. It's possibly you that's mistaken...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif Now, what did I come in here for? sundog

grumble
01-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Sundog, if you make another mistake most of us won't remember it anyway (CRS). You'll probably get away with it. [smilie=l:...Ray

Not me. I won't forget. I wrote it down. Saved it in file somewhere on my computer. Somewhere...

44man
01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
The only thing I liked was "spruce plate". Does that wood make good ones?

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2006, 05:26 PM
they sell the new spruce plates as an upgrade to your old molds.

sundog
01-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Okay, kidding aside..., uh, what was I gonna say?

Really, I just came in from shooting eleven (eleven? boy, dat's sho a strange number!) rounds. One was supposed to be a fouler, but it actually took like four or five, from my clean bbl 03 sporter w/4X scope. The rest went sub 1 inch at a 50 yds - nice little roundish group. 40.0/Surp IMR4895. Not a wus load, but okay to shoot in a t-shirt. Did I mention unseasonably WARM and windy? Oklahoma still burning! So, it appears that this'un'll be a keeper. Did I mention windy? Now, what was I doing.... sundog