PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk non upgraded...Thoughts? NEED HELP QUICK

Stopsign32v
06-22-2022, 03:41 PM
I follow Keith and Skeeter closely but have never gotten me a Blackhawk. I accidentally came across a near mint 1969 Blackhawk 6.5 barrel 357 3 screw. It has not been updated with a transfer bar and the shop is asking $695. The only thing wrong with it is some slight muzzle wear and light scratching on the barrel (almost not worth mentioning). I'm honestly at a loss if I should get it or not. My gun funds are dry but I could let go of some semi auto pistols...HELP me decide quick!

pworley1
06-22-2022, 03:44 PM
I don't know if that is a good price in your area or not, but I wouldn't take that for mine.

skeettx
06-22-2022, 03:46 PM
Keep what you have and start saving money in a GUN FUND for
future purchases.

The $700.00 is a bit pricy for a shooter

https://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search/completed?Keywords=ruger%20blackhawk%20old&Timeframe=1&Sort=1&PageSize=48

MT Gianni
06-22-2022, 03:54 PM
Completed auctions on GB show them sold from $395-$1100. One from the 60's with no transfer bar was one of the cheaper ones @ $400 or so. It might add some to the trigger but in general they are not what you would be shooting at Camp Perry with anyway. I am too old I guess but see enough that I would not pay that for a new one, I would expect new prices in my area to be around $575. I would have to be set up in 357 and really want it to bite on that.

Stopsign32v
06-22-2022, 04:03 PM
I thought the 3 screws were like 1k+ guns?

Char-Gar
06-22-2022, 04:43 PM
Great gun! Cheap price! Buy it!

gwpercle
06-22-2022, 06:16 PM
I follow Keith and Skeeter closely but have never gotten me a Blackhawk. I accidentally came across a near mint 1969 Blackhawk 6.5 barrel 357 3 screw. It has not been updated with a transfer bar and the shop is asking $695. The only thing wrong with it is some slight muzzle wear and light scratching on the barrel (almost not worth mentioning). I'm honestly at a loss if I should get it or not. My gun funds are dry but I could let go of some semi auto pistols...HELP me decide quick!

I bought mine in 1970 ... and still have it . Let's say I Love it ... I have cast , reloaded and shot this one more than any other gun I own . The adjustable sighted 38 special / 357 magnum can cover a lot of shooting applications ... perferating tin cans to taking wild hogs .
These guns are different ... they seem to have a heart and soul ... you become fond of them ... they have personality ... I can't explain it .
Buy it ... there is just something about these old 3 screw Blackhawks that the newer pistols don't have .
At $700 you will not loose any money on the deal ... $1200 wouldn't buy mine .

Gary

Stopsign32v
06-22-2022, 06:29 PM
I bought mine in 1970 ... and still have it . Let's say I Love it ... I have cast , reloaded and shot this one more than any other gun I own . The adjustable sighted 38 special / 357 magnum can cover a lot of shooting applications ... perferating tin cans to taking wild hogs .
These guns are different ... they seem to have a heart and soul ... you become fond of them ... they have personality ... I can't explain it .
Buy it ... there is just something about these old 3 screw Blackhawks that the newer pistols don't have .
At $700 you will not loose any money on the deal ... $1200 wouldn't buy mine .

Gary

Well I won't try to buy it Gary but heck, let's see it at least!

Geezer in NH
06-22-2022, 11:53 PM
1971 I bought mine with all kinds of wear for $90 bucks came with 2 boxes ammo 1 357 jsp 158 grain and 1 box 148 grain rem wadcutters. Shot ok but hated the sa grip traded it for a like new S&W Combat Masterpiece 4 inch

Thumbcocker
06-23-2022, 08:53 AM
I find that it is increasingly hard to price guns. It seems like anything that will go "bang" is $500 these days. I have a more "do I want it" and "can I afford it" mindset. Also I will pay a little more for a gun at the local shop where I can pick it up as opposed to online.

Bottom line; if it is something you want and can afford go for it.

rintinglen
06-23-2022, 12:42 PM
That is at the very top end of my buy-it range for that gun. I would not buy it.

To me, as a shooter, those are 600 dollar guns.

FISH4BUGS
06-23-2022, 12:53 PM
I would NEVER buy a modified 3 screw or a 2 screw New Model Blackhawk.
There is just something about the 3screws that speaks to you. Maybe it is the Colt SAA lineage......who knows?
Having owned many of them over the years, they are great guns.
The price is a tad high in my book, BUT if you can trade towards it all the better.
You can also pay once, cry once, and move on.....it's only money!

stubshaft
06-23-2022, 10:52 PM
Like some other have stated, it is a little high in price. That being said, I can guarantee you the price will NOT be going down in the future!

I would buy and NOT have it converted to a transfer bar. There IS something magical about thumbing the hammer back and listening to the click as it goes through the cycle...

hoodat
06-24-2022, 12:37 AM
Well, the only defense against inflation, is "spend it now". How much do ya think its gonna be going for next year when our dollars are worth half as much?? jd

littlejack
06-24-2022, 12:45 PM
hoodat
+1 ^^^^^^

Nueces
06-24-2022, 01:06 PM
My favorite gun dealer likes this saying: "You can't pay too much, but you may buy it a little early."

I have passed on 'a little too much' before and then waited 30 years to see another offering as good as the one I rejected. No more. If I see just what I want, I am willing to stretch quite a bit to take it home today.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-24-2022, 01:10 PM
Prices on everything is crazy, so I can't give advice about it's price.

Bottom line:
Buy it to collect, don't update it.
If you want a shooter, get a safer "New Model" and leave that 3 screw for someone else.

FISH4BUGS
06-24-2022, 01:49 PM
My favorite gun dealer likes this saying: "You can't pay too much, but you may buy it a little early."
I have passed on 'a little too much' before and then waited 30 years to see another offering as good as the one I rejected. No more. If I see just what I want, I am willing to stretch quite a bit to take it home today.
I bought a 98% shooter 5 screw pre-29 S&W many years ago for $700 when the 4 and 3 screws were just a tad less. No case or tools, didn't even have original grips.
I have been shooting it with cast mid-range 44's....thousands of rounds.
I get offered $2000+ for it all the time.
MAKE YOUR BEST DEAL AND BUY IT!
Trade something towards it to lessen the pain.
Then shoot the daylights out of it and enjoy it!
Take care of it and you will get your money back down the road. Nice untouched 3 screws are already bringing a bit of a premium

herian67
06-24-2022, 02:01 PM
My original 3 screw .357 is the best shooter out of all my pistols . It will be one of the last guns I own.

kerplode
06-24-2022, 02:31 PM
I'd buy an non-upgraded 3 screw for $695...

Johnnu
06-25-2022, 10:25 AM
There are those of us who raise 3-screw Ruger Blackhawks to a 'cult status'. That being said, the gun you are looking at is the most common variety with it's 6 1/2" bbl (a 4 5/8" would greatly enhance its value); and it's common caliber (a .45 in that gun is worth every bit of $900-$1200); so, its $695 price tag is a tad high. The fact that is has NOT been converted to the "safety, transfer-bar" lock work is a big PLUS (if you do buy it, PLEASE do NOT have it converted). Also, depending upon the geographic area the gun shop is located in, you could strike a deal with the LGS. Where I'm located, we have mostly "Mall Ninjas" who only buy black semi-autos; so, that gun would languish for years in the LGS's gun case; hence they might take $100 off. I'd offer $600 (no tax) and if they say 'yes'.... GRAB THAT BABY. If not, go $600 + tax. It's the closest thing to a Colt SAA that you will ever have the pleasure to hold and cock.
IMHO,
J.

murf205
06-26-2022, 02:39 PM

You are asking the group of ultimate enablers when it comes to buying a gun or not. We are kind of like bring a 12 pack to an AA meeting! I just paid $1k for a 29-2 S&W with a bit of nickel freckling and S&W target but non original stocks, but I am a S&W wheel gun junkie so I feel your pain when the price is on the cusp of too much or a deal. Go make them an "out the door CASH price" and see how low you can get it for. Good luck and if you wind up with it show us the pics.