PDA

View Full Version : HEADS UP!! Buffalo Rifle @ Midway

Kraschenbirn
06-21-2022, 03:50 PM
Just stumbled on this while checking reviews on another product.

Usual Midway monkey-jumble: Limit (2) 1-Pound bottles @ $38 and change each + hazmat + shipping but they do appear to have it in stock.

Bill

Greg
06-22-2022, 01:58 PM
Bill

I'd be interested in your loads.. do you use it straight wall cases, reduced loads ?

or in bottle neck reduced loads ?

Kraschenbirn
06-22-2022, 04:03 PM
This post was just to let folks know that there's some Shooter's World product (re)appearing on the market. Didn't bother to order any 'cause I've sufficient on hand to meet my immediate needs.

According to Lyman Cast Bullet #4 'Buffalo Rifle' (AA5744 clone) is supposed to be a good choice at BP velocities in straight wall cartridges but I've never managed to hit a 'happy combination' in either .45-70 or .38-55 that equal or better my 'pet' loads using good ol' 4198...of which I have an adequate supply. On the other hand, it does quite well with heavy boolits in .308 (rifle) and in .30-30s for my TC Contender. I've also tinkered with 'Buffalo Rifle' in the .32-20 (rifle) and intial results looked promising but, with the primer situation as it is, it may be a while before I pursue that any further.

Bill

winelover
06-23-2022, 06:55 AM
Powder Valley had it in stock, yesterday. They also had some Accurate and Hodgeon Powders. Only primers in stock were CCI SR @ $85/brick. I get their email flyer.

Winelover

Tazman1602
06-24-2022, 09:32 AM
This post was just to let folks know that there's some Shooter's World product (re)appearing on the market. Didn't bother to order any 'cause I've sufficient on hand to meet my immediate needs.

According to Lyman Cast Bullet #4 'Buffalo Rifle' (AA5744 clone) is supposed to be a good choice at BP velocities in straight wall cartridges but I've never managed to hit a 'happy combination' in either .45-70 or .38-55 that equal or better my 'pet' loads using good ol' 4198...of which I have an adequate supply.

Bill

Here here Bill. I’ve used 4198 for years for 45-70 and I *think* (I’d have to consult my notebooks, been a while for 444) .444 Marlin. 4198 with cast bullets, mostly 400grain cast and it has always been extremely accurate for me.

That being said I did just order a couple of pounds of buffalo rifle to try…..

Art