PDA

View Full Version : What revolver should I get for my son's first firearm?

CZbob9
06-21-2022, 03:06 PM
I'm not new to firearms, just new to this site. I do reload but I never knew about this site. That is amazing. I want to get my 11 year old son his first firearm. I reload a lot of 9mm and 38 special so I was thinking of a nice single action with a long barrel in either caliber. What do you recommend?

Winger Ed.
06-21-2022, 03:10 PM
I'm a big .38Spec. guy, but as the world is switching over to 9mm and obsoleting it out,
ammo and brass are going up in price and getting a little harder to find as time goes on.

For example, the days of $10. per thousand for once fired .38 range brass are long gone,
and like cars with a breaker point distributor--- they aren't coming back.

CZbob9
06-21-2022, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the advice Winger and you aren't wrong! However I have enough 38 special brass to last decades!

414gates
06-21-2022, 03:26 PM
I can recommend what I did with my sons, starting when they were a little older, maybe 15.

I signed then up to a practical pistol association, IDPA at the time, bought them the semi auto that they preferred, within the budget I gave them, and reloaded for them.

Out of the three, only one has continued with the shooting sports after leaving school, doing his own reloading now, but they did enjoy the experience, especially the leagues and matches.

metricmonkeywrench
06-21-2022, 03:55 PM
I'm a believer that your never wrong with a standard S&W Model-10 on hand. I don't load hot and so far everyone, from grandkids to old ladies like the feel of what's being shot. The wheel gun will slow down a new shooter giving them time to focus on the basics.

For us 9mm's are like .22's and to easy to empty a magazine in no time.

dverna
06-21-2022, 04:24 PM
A long barrel may be unwieldy....stay around 5”.

Go with a .38/.357 and load light .38’s.

CZbob9
06-21-2022, 04:26 PM
A long barrel may be unwieldy....stay around 5”.

Go with a .38/.357 and load light .38’s.

That is exactly what I was thinking! Might look at a New Model Blackhawk and just load it with some light loads.

06-21-2022, 04:34 PM
YMMV, but I'd start a really young kid out on a single shot rifle - .22. Handguns are great, but for a learning platform, I'm concerned that the ability to tooooooo quickly turn it against a hand, arm, leg, foot, or another person is just too great. A really young'n has a lot of exciting stuff to deal with, and a easily pivoted handgun is (for me) just too much. Good on you for getting 'em started early. Best of luck.

CZbob9
06-21-2022, 04:41 PM
YMMV, but I'd start a really young kid out on a single shot rifle - .22. Handguns are great, but for a learning platform, I'm concerned that the ability to tooooooo quickly turn it against a hand, arm, leg, foot, or another person is just too great. A really young'n has a lot of exciting stuff to deal with, and a easily pivoted handgun is (for me) just too much. Good on you for getting 'em started early. Best of luck.

That is a really good point. Is there a good 9mm/38 bolt action that doesn't weigh a ton? I can't even think of one. I'm afraid he will grow tired of a .22 and lose interest.

Huskerguy
06-21-2022, 04:47 PM
Personal preference as always. Ruger Single six or something similar. Light and makes one learn to handle loading and unloading. No recoil, ammo is reasonable. Next would be a 38 special of your choice, Model 19/66, Security Six, Model 15/67, manageable loads, 158 grain semi wad cutters. You could throw in a Ruger 10/22 somewhere as well.

Green Frog
06-21-2022, 05:09 PM
Ruger makes/made a combo Blackhawk with two cylinders to accept 9mm and 357. A SA revolver is good for learning basic handgun handling. There are also a break open single shot rifle chambered in 38/357 as well as a couple of lever action repeaters. Your son can be training on a revolver and a lever gun at the same time. :)
Froggie

Onty
06-21-2022, 05:10 PM
I'm not new to firearms, just new to this site. I do reload but I never knew about this site. That is amazing. I want to get my 11 year old son his first firearm. I reload a lot of 9mm and 38 special so I was thinking of a nice single action with a long barrel in either caliber. What do you recommend?
VERY ACCURATE ONE! Period! The worst possible thing for beginner is to start with average handgun. Showing him that handgun is accurate takes away a big dilemma for every shooter when facing holes all over the paper; is it me or a handgun?

Also, I would start with target on 10 meters or yards, and when he is confident shooting at that distance, move to 15, than to 20 and 25.

As for handgun:

1. TC Contender, if you can find it with 38 Special barrel. If not, get one in 357 Magnum, and few hundred 357 Magnum cases. Since you already reloading 38 Special, you have everything else to reload 357. Contender is accurate like rifle, it has good trigger, long distance between sights (10", 12" or 14" barrel), and you can get it fairly cheap, just ideal for beginner.

2. As a next choice I would consider either S&W M52, or one of those target grade S&W revolvers in 38 Special.

Just my 2 cents...

Nobade
06-21-2022, 05:12 PM
I'm probably an outlier here but I think I had a good start at shooting by using a small lightweight boy's type flintlock rifle. If a kid takes an interest in something like that, and practices with it enough to become really proficient, then he is on his way to being an accomplished marksman. The follow through and trigger control, loading, managing everything so it works every time, cleaning, casting balls, sharpening the flint, etc. all go toward teaching someone about guns. Plus he's not likely to shoot himself or someone else accidentally like he is with a cartridge firing handgun.

bimus
06-21-2022, 05:12 PM
Starting with 38 or 9 MM both are good and will teach casting and reloading and also pistol caliber carbines later on both are cartridges that will be usable as they get older

GBertolet
06-21-2022, 06:10 PM
I would go with a S&W 586 or 686, in the barrel length of your choice. Will work fine with 38 spl, and when he grows into it, will handle .357's, and will last a long time, shooting those.

stubshaft
06-21-2022, 06:30 PM
VERY ACCURATE ONE! Period! The worst possible thing for beginner is to start with average handgun. Showing him that handgun is accurate takes away a big dilemma for every shooter when facing holes all over the paper; is it me or a handgun?

Also, I would start with target on 10 meters or yards, and when he is confident shooting at that distance, move to 15, than to 20 and 25.

As for handgun:

1. TC Contender, if you can find it with 38 Special barrel. If not, get one in 357 Magnum, and few hundred 357 Magnum cases. Since you already reloading 38 Special, you have everything else to reload 357. Contender is accurate like rifle, it has good trigger, long distance between sights (10", 12" or 14" barrel), and you can get it fairly cheap, just ideal for beginner.

You could even get it in a 257 Maxi and he could continue using it for his LIFETIME.

45_Colt
06-21-2022, 06:33 PM
I would go with a S&W in 22 LR. A regular 'ole blued pistol, (no light-weight), with adjustable sights. Either a 4" or 6" barrel.

That way he can shoot a whole lot at a low cost. Practice makes perfect.

Oh, and no issue with a single/double action revolver. Let him shoot to his hearts content. Learn and then move up to higher calibers (which cost more to shoot).

45_Colt

gwpercle
06-21-2022, 06:38 PM
My first revolver was a Ruger Blackhawk in 38 / 357 , in 1970 ...
Didn't get my next single action untill 2021 ... a black Ruger Wrangler in 22 LR ... It was LOVE at first sight ... I wish I had gotten the Wrangler a long time ago .
It Is Sweet Shooting Thing !
Gary

georgerkahn
06-21-2022, 06:42 PM

Not knowing you or your location, family situation, et cetera -- I can voice that I am happy you are going to start your son shooting. In *my* case, I started my sons with Mossberg bolt action .22 s/l/lr rifles. These employ magazines which have a threaded rod which when in, enables ONLY .22 shorts. I soldered these in, then permitting .22 shorts. After the boys ages, each, I moved up to enabling .22 long... Under very close and guarded supervision, I had purchased a Savage single-action single shot .22 which was also started with shorts.
A funny corollary is from the many, many shots through this firearm, a ring was burnt in its cylinder to make longs and long-rifles just about impossible to chamber :).

I reckon you have your mind made up re the 9mm/.38 S&W sp. -- and I respect your decision. To my way of thinking back then, I wanted the foundation of good, safe, firearm handling for a child instilled before they "graduated" to the bigger stuff with recoil and its inducing flinch. Just my way of thinking...

BUT, you asked... that's what we did; no injuries' good, safe, fun handling taught/learned...

Best wishes!
geo

Mk42gunner
06-21-2022, 07:10 PM
I pretty much agree with what 725 wrote; however, .22 ammo isn't nearly as inexpensive as it used to be.

Not knowing how big your eleven year old is, nor having any idea how much he will grow in the future makes it very hard to recommend a revolver.

I will recommend that anything you get has good adjustable sights. No need to start someone out by saying aim three inches left and two inches down from where you want to hit.

Also don't overlook one of the various .32's. Light recoil and most are fairly good shooters.

Good luck and stay safe,

Robert

bruce381
06-21-2022, 07:24 PM
you asked about a 38 and everyone is suggesting something else from 22 to shotgun how bout this a Smith wheel gun model 10 or 15
mic drop

Der Gebirgsjager
06-21-2022, 07:32 PM
Hard to add to so many good suggestions and knowledge. I've got two granddaughters and gave them each a Ruger Bearcat several years ago. True, .22 ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be, but it's still much cheaper than .38s. But, also true, if you're a reloader, especially a caster reloader, it might come out close expense-wise. Also true, that if he likes shooting, starting with a .22 and it's benefits of low cost ammo and low recoil and noise, he will eventually graduate to a .38 (or something else bigger) and that involves buying a second pistol. How awful! Really, it's kind of nice to have more than one tool available for any job. Heritage seems to make an inexpensive single action .22-- might be a good choice for starters. If it's got to be a .38 then go with something with adjustable sights. I'd sure choose a double action over a single action, if a .38 it must be. Thinking back many, many years, my first firearm was a single shot .22. It taught me the need to get a good sight picture, squeeze the trigger, and hit with the first shot. My first pistol was a .45 ACP (not recommending this!) and I had to learn to shoot it well because it was my only handgun. I had a great instructor, my dad, but wish I could have started with a .22.

DG

farmbif
06-21-2022, 07:34 PM
at 11 I was lucky to get to shoot an old winchester 22 never mind owning my very own 38 revolver
there is a whole lot of growing up that goes on in a young boy between 11 and 18
I got my child a Walther 380 for 16th birthday only after completing the handgun safety and shooting courses at the sheriff's public shooting range.

beechbum444
06-21-2022, 07:46 PM
ive had my eyes on the RIA M 200 in 38 special for a while, with the 4 inch barrel. It's not a model 10, but for the price....that's where id start.......

bedbugbilly
06-21-2022, 09:03 PM
If you cast and reload - and 22 ammo is scarce - what about a single shot 357 rifle? A Henry or a Hand if you could find one. It gives you the option to reload 28 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long, 38 Spl. & 356.

I'm all for starting a youngster out to learn to shoot and gun safety, but IMHO, and as someone else stated, a handgun is a lot easier for inexperienced youngster to "make mistakes" in handling over a long gun when it comes to sweeping body parts or others. Once they learn safety and shooting and prove themselves to be able to follow gun safety, then and only then move on to handgun IMHO.

I also like the idea of starting a kid out with a muzzleloader - flint or percussion. I'm partial to that I guess as that's the way I learned some 60 some years ago. With cap shortages, a flintlock is ideal. If caps not a problem, something like a small bore shorter under hammer like the old H & A buggy rifles is ideal - simple but a great teaching tool.

Good luck and you'll not only be teaching, but making some good father - son memories that you'll both treasure.

MarkP
06-21-2022, 09:32 PM
I got my son a S&W M 60 with 5" bbl. First loads were Lyman 77 gr WC. We also shot LEE 105 SWC. He was used to shooting a S&W M317 with 3" bbl. 317 is a lite wt 8 shot 22 LR Similar to a M637 but with adjustable sights.

MT Gianni
06-21-2022, 09:43 PM
For me a first firearm would be a 357 lever rifle. Inexpensive to shoot, same ammo as a revolver when he moves to handguns and last a lifetime.

Stopsign32v
06-21-2022, 09:45 PM
For me a first firearm would be a 357 lever rifle. Inexpensive to shoot, same ammo as a revolver when he moves to handguns and last a lifetime.

After learning the struggles of smooth feeding of a 357 lever rifle I'd have to disagree with that. They need to be cycled with authority and often times hang up. Most children can't do this.

engineer401
06-21-2022, 10:18 PM
A friend of mine who is very petite loves my early model 357 Blackhawk. It’s a great shooter and 38 Special can be loaded to very manageable recoil. I love that round.

Texas by God
06-21-2022, 10:18 PM
Your idea of a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is a good one. The 4-5/8" barrel would be better I think for a kid. Adjustable sights, foolproof action with a decent trigger will make hits happen early on. Loads can start with .38 gallery loads, then move up gradually to .357 as skill and desire increases.
Teach a new shooter how to run a single action first and the other style handguns will be learned easily.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

greenjoytj
06-21-2022, 10:29 PM
The child is eleven years old, likely won’t have the upper body strength to free hold any full size 38/357.
Not a problem, the kid can bench rest it till he grows into into it being accustom to the revolvers weight.
I would recommend the purchase of a heirloom quality high end 357Magnum, 6 shot, 6 inch barrel.
Naturally low power 38 special handloads to start.
I would recommend a round butt S&W 686 Performance Center that fit the above mentioned specifications.
The new Colt Pythons are very nice too.

Get 3 powder classes:
A fast burning powder for slow to mid range velocity.
A medium burn rate powder that picks up were the fast powder quits making MV at the Pmax.
This will be the forever most used powder for the kids whole life from teen to old man.
A slow burn rate powder for when your want the revolver to make the highest MV it’s capable of.
This will be the least used powder, but nice to have on hand.

Get a quality bullet mold that casts a RNFP for fiddle free easily loading (I dislike SWC bullets, they look wicked but are ridiculous to load).

Teach the kid how to cast quality bullets.

Get 4 to 6 hundred quality cartridge cases. These will last for decades if occasionally annealed.

Primer’s, get a few bricks appropriate to the powder type being loaded.

Optional a kydex holster and belt. designed to fit the chosen revolver.

Teach safe handling for the handgun the kid is presented with.

Stopsign32v
06-21-2022, 10:30 PM
The child is eleven years old, likely won’t have the upper body strength to free hold any full size 38/357.

Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D64I73ZbbG4&t=212s

johnsonian09
06-21-2022, 10:37 PM
First firearm for an 11 year old? Single shot anything is hard to bead.

First handgun for an 11 year old? Crossman bb/pellet gun replica to train them. They have single and double action ones. Put holes on paper and you can stress discipline without stressing you out

Stuck for a real handgun in 38cal?
All the cowboy type single action replicas in 38 special or 357 are pretty and economical.

The ruger conversion in 9mm /357mag will last him all his life and can eat common cheap plinkers and heavy loads when he gets into that.

A black hawk is nice too.

Id avoid DA revolvers for a young one tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
06-21-2022, 10:54 PM

If it's a handgun in 38 or 9mm it should have adjustable sights and I would NOT recommend a 9mm only simply because 9mm limits ammo options. With the 38/357 or 357/9mm convertible you can go with very light loads to fullhouse. Most 9mm loads are designed to function in semi-auto's. Recoil is a lesser issue than the concussion.

If it was me picking it would be quality 22 target rifle or air rifle with target aperture sights. That platform will provide the best marksmanship training.

Onty
06-21-2022, 11:19 PM
...My first pistol was a .45 ACP (not recommending this!) and I had to learn to shoot it well because it was my only handgun. I had a great instructor, my dad, but wish I could have started with a .22.

DG
I started the worst possible way; 455 Webley Mk VI, made 1917. Next I purchased S&W M27, 5" and S&W M41. Just happened, I was there when opportunity came suddenly. Tried S&W M617, too much steel for a caliber. Yeah, 22LR is a good start, but I was beginner, seeking for a thrill, and that 22 light pop never impressed me. Sold all of them soon. Other members in the club invited me to try half scale silhouettes, and I was hooked. Started looking for another handgun, and stumbled upon TC Contender with 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt barrels. Well, Contender (in 357 Magnum) was an eye opener; accurate like laser, relatively cheap to shoot with reloads, will topple metal silhouettes with authority, yet with very moderate recoil, even with full power loads. And you can always purchase 22LR barrel for Contender.

BJung
06-21-2022, 11:49 PM
I am not knowledgeable about different handgun models. Three weeks ago I brought my 14 year old daughter to the shooting range. She already has experiences shooting indoor competition air rifle. That day I handed her my S&W Model 66 and a box of 38-148WC bullets. She knows the gun safety rules but I added how to leave the revolver cylinder open and faced down on the bench and holding it through the frame when carrying it to one booth to another (in addition to pointing the muzzle in a safe direction). The whole shooting process was much simpler and easier than using an automatic to me. Shooting was much simpler too but inserting each round one-by-one into the cylinder than forcing rounds into the magazine. If you have a lot of land but cannot shoot firearms on our property, you can also make glue stick bullets and shoot them with primers. I remember when I was eleven and my oldest brother let me shoot the bbgun. He said, "rule one is never point that gun at anyone". Then he said, "rule two is always listen to what I say". I said, "okay". Then he said, "point the gun at me". I did and he slapped me across the head and said, "don't forget rule one".

Papercidal
06-22-2022, 12:24 AM
A model 19 with a spare cylinder converted to .38 super with moonclips (which will also get you 9mm) I’d say a k22 but .38 or 9mm is a lot cheaper than .22 if your a caster.

45DUDE
06-22-2022, 12:41 AM
I would start him off on a single shot bolt action 22 rifle. When he can hit a can pretty often off hand at 50 yards then maybe a 38 special 4''-6'' IF he likes to hang around when you reload and brings home a good report card.

45DUDE
06-22-2022, 12:49 AM
A model 19 with a spare cylinder converted to .38 super with moonclips (which will also get you 9mm) I’d say a k22 but .38 or 9mm is a lot cheaper than .22 if your a caster.

A model 19 and 38 super are different bore sizes.

pworley1
06-22-2022, 08:01 AM
I started my son with a 357 and light 38 loads. He still has that pistol and still mostly shoots 38's with it but he has the 357 option.

Bigslug
06-22-2022, 08:07 AM
A revolver that gives him a DA option is a GREAT training tool for proper trigger control. Whenever I get a shooter that has serious problems with a tendency to slap the trigger the instant the sights cross the middle of the target, I hand them my 4" Smith 63 .22, and tell them, "The sights will NEVER stop wobbling - just keep them aligned in the zip code and press".

Smith and Ruger have both done 5-shot .357's (M60 or SP101) with 3-5" barrels and adjustable sights. Be where I'd start.

CZbob9
06-22-2022, 08:54 AM
I started him out with a bow, then a pump BB gun, then a scoped pellet gun. Now I feel like I want him to graduate to something other than a little 22 to keep his interest. 22 isn't much more than a louder pellet gun to most.

Maybe a revolver isn't the brightest idea due to pointing out the above issues. But what would a good small center fire rifle be that is also light weight? Maybe a single shot 38/357?

ABJ
06-22-2022, 09:05 AM

Your title says first revolver, so I will stick to that. I have read all the reply's and all have merit.
We have a steel range with 40 or so targets as well as a paper range at our family deer camp. Shooting weekends will have grandkids(9) and daughter in laws etc...
Between all of us there will be at least 40+ handguns available for anyone to shoot. All kinds from Ruger singles, Smith and Colt double's and Uberti's make up the bulk of them.
My answer to you is what I have observed as the preferred handgun for the young ones and females. Hands down the Ruger single six 22/Colt 22 and H&R 32. Next one is the Uberti Jr in 38 special, 4 inch. Next is the Uberti birds head grip and the caliber doesn't seem to matter. Keep in mind all our centerfire ammo is down loaded to 700/750 in all calibers. One interesting thing I have noticed is the young ones seem to shy away from any gun that is prone to "muzzle flip". None of the kids or ladies like the snub's in 22 or very light 32's or anything less than 4 or so inch barrels.
Several of the grown ladies have started to like the the single action Ruger's and Uberti's they say because the grip fits there hands and the standard grip frame allows two handed or one hand hold. One of the double actions that gets picked up, is the Ruger SP101 in 327 but loaded with H&R cases. None of them like the Bisley grip.(personally my favorite). I have tried not to give you my own personal recommendations but rather give you a snapshot of what I have noticed over the years working with kids from 10 to 18 and ladies up to their 60's. It is my belief to start small and let them grow into whatever they wind up liking. Targets should be large and steel vs paper to reinforce that they are hitting something then move to paper to hone their skills. I hope my observations will be of some help.
Tony

Multra
06-22-2022, 09:10 AM
A 10/22.
If you are dead set on a revolver Heritage rough riders are pretty cheap.

Dusty Bannister
06-22-2022, 09:20 AM
If this is the "first gun" then I would look for a better quality double action 22 revolver in good used shape. It will last his lifetime, and be a "first gun" for any children he may have. A less expensive revolver will wear out, and parts will be a problem and it will live in a drawer. Too many good memories to toss, but too worn out to use. Good luck in your decision.

ABJ
06-22-2022, 09:31 AM
I started him out with a bow, then a pump BB gun, then a scoped pellet gun. Now I feel like I want him to graduate to something other than a little 22 to keep his interest. 22 isn't much more than a louder pellet gun to most.

Maybe a revolver isn't the brightest idea due to pointing out the above issues. But what would a good small center fire rifle be that is also light weight? Maybe a single shot 38/357?

I don't know of any ss centerfire's I would recommend, but the Rossi 92 in 357 and we have several have been the go to rifle for my older grandkids. We load 38 cases with a 140 truncated cone on top of 3.2 Tightgroup or Bullseye. No recoil and accurate enough out to 100yds.
We have had no feeding problems with the Truncated cone nose profile. Our rifles are the 20 inch. versions.
I know you didn't ask about rimfire but the Rossi lever and gallery pump get used as much as the 357. Just fun to cycle and shoot.
Tony

CZbob9
06-22-2022, 09:36 AM
Any opinions on this in 38/357? I could load it down to whatever velocity I'd like to start him out with and work him up to whatever he is comfortable with.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

https://henrypride.com/products/henry-h015-single-shot-youth-stock?variant=29492936638524

7lbs might be too much though

waksupi
06-22-2022, 11:19 AM
I would go with a .22. When I was young, I as going through a brick each week.

waksupi
06-22-2022, 11:20 AM
I'm probably an outlier here but I think I had a good start at shooting by using a small lightweight boy's type flintlock rifle. If a kid takes an interest in something like that, and practices with it enough to become really proficient, then he is on his way to being an accomplished marksman. The follow through and trigger control, loading, managing everything so it works every time, cleaning, casting balls, sharpening the flint, etc. all go toward teaching someone about guns. Plus he's not likely to shoot himself or someone else accidentally like he is with a cartridge firing handgun.

Excellent point. Once you master a flintlock, you can shoot any long arm well.

Handloader109
06-22-2022, 01:32 PM
11 year old. 22 caliber ONLY. He's got his whole life ahead for larger calibers. Even though 38sp can be loaded down, it is NOT suitable for a pre teen.
Get him a ruger wrangler, below $200, and he can learn about revolvers. Or get him any number is 22 single shot, bolt or autos.
But get him a 22

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

popper
06-22-2022, 01:57 PM
Guess I'm different. 4 GKs about 8 yrs old started with 12ga, 9mm, 40SW, 308MX. Single loaded until they get the 'excitement' out of their system.

Char-Gar
06-22-2022, 02:04 PM
Start with a 22. When he has the basics down and feels some confidence, then move to a low loaded 38 special and up the loads as he is able to deal with the extra recoil.

CZbob9
06-22-2022, 02:36 PM
A 22lr has less recoil than his spring driven pellet gun.

bimus
06-22-2022, 05:04 PM
My step brother and I started with a Single rifle and a low quality single action revolver in 22 LR . we lost interest very quick . we never used the 22 very much the muzzle loading rifles kits we bought and built our self's where used for fun shooting and used to hunt small game to large game .

gwpercle
06-22-2022, 06:33 PM

Learning gun handling and safety with a BB gun and then pellet gun is excellent ... the next logical step up is a 22 LR ... there is a large enough increase in power , muzzle blast and noise from a 22 LR to be quite noticable from Pellet Gun . I would vote for a 22 LR . Now the question is rifle or handgun ... I would vote rifle first , in 22 LR and if he proves to be a safe and responsible shooter then a single action 22 like the Ruger Wrangler . You / he can always upgrade later , but for teaching safe gun handling the old Single Action is best .
My Dad never got me the single shot 22 LR rifle I wanted ... he bought me a shotgun ... I still wanted a 22 LR rifle and bought a Ruger 10/22 when I was grown ... I taught both my kids to shoot with the 10/22 repeater but a single shot would have been a good teaching tool .
Gary

charlie b
06-22-2022, 07:54 PM
Strength is the issue. I'd go with thee .38 but am not sure he has the strength to hold it for proper pistol shooting. Easy to get bad habits at this point. Same with a CF rifle. Maybe the Henry single shot would be light enough. Depends on the kid.

At that age I set up my kids sitting at a bench and rest the rifle on bags to shoot. Makes concentration on sight alignment easier since the muscles don't have to hold the weight of the rifle.

Daekar
06-22-2022, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't necessarily start with a handgun, I'll echo the call for a 22LR bolt action or break action. If you want to start with centerfire, 38spl or light loaded 357mag is really hard to beat... no recoil, brass lasts forever. If you can, find a Contender pistol or carbine. The grip might be a bit big for his hands though. The other option might be something like a steel J-frame with a longish barrel, they can have very slim grips for for folks with little grabbers. Even 38spl wadcutter loads are entertaining in my Model 60.

kayala
06-22-2022, 11:27 PM
My kids started with 686 and I've loaded 38SP for about 680 FPS (148 WC over Clays). You could almost see the slug flying downrange :D

Daekar
06-23-2022, 08:04 AM
Any opinions on this in 38/357? I could load it down to whatever velocity I'd like to start him out with and work him up to whatever he is comfortable with.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/

https://henrypride.com/products/henry-h015-single-shot-youth-stock?variant=29492936638524

7lbs might be too much though

I have one if those in 357mag and it is my favorite gun, toss a Skinner sight on there and it's solid gold. Load it with 38spl level stuff and it's like shooting a louder 22LR.

If I were getting it for a youngster I would seriously consider having the barrel cut down, and threaded for a suppressor while you're at it. It's already short for its 22" barrel since there's not really any length consumed by the action, but the barrel is pretty substantial. Taking it down to 16" to 18" would make it REALLY handy at the cost of a smidgen of top end velocity with heavy charges of Lil'Gun or H-110.

Bigslug
06-23-2022, 09:12 AM

A .22 is something he's gotta have, and I'm a big fan of CZ for those. That said, it's hard to beat a downloaded .357/.38 to serve the same purpose if you need to manufacture your own ammo.

THAT said, when my OCD kicked in, I was able to go through a STAGGERING amount of .22 with just a single shot bolt action as a kid. There's a lot going for handing him a brick of ammo and not have to worry about processing brass, casting, etc...

atr
06-23-2022, 09:36 AM
a double action .22 or .38 with adjustable sights if possible and something that fits his hand. Also revolvers with swing-out cylinders are much handier when it comes to ejecting spent cases and then reloading.
stay away from semi-automatics

rintinglen
06-23-2022, 12:28 PM
First gun should be a 22 in my view. My 2nd choice is a 38, if light-for-caliber boolits are used to reload, though I will say 7-8 cent 22's are cheaper than primers these days. I do like a single action revolver for teaching a newby. After the shot is fired, the hammer is down on a spent cartridge. Until it is cocked again, that gun won't discharge, no matter what mistake in handling is made. I do not like semi-autos for that reason, especially SA semi-autos. The gun automatically loads the next round, cocks the hammer, and sits in the hand, enticing an untrained individual to unintentionally fire a second round. I'm not saying you can't teach somebody to safely use a bottom feeder, but it does require close attention.

As you seem to be inclined to getting a centerfire revolver, these are some that I have and have used with my grand kids, to teach them safe fire arm handling.
This is a Single 7, actually in .327 but similar, albeit heavier guns are readily available. I like the 22 versions with the aluminum frames for teaching basic firearm safety.

This is my SP101. You need to put a trigger kit in it, but a .357 allows you to load the full gamut of 38/357 loads running from 75 grain Wadcutters at 650 fps up to 180 grain, 1150+ fps magnum loads. Mine has a pink grip to make it more fun for my grand daughters.

This is what they look like out of the box. These are very well suited for a smaller shooter, but it's a gun he won't ever outgrow.

Below, for no reason I can comprehend, are my 2 32-20's. Not the guns I would choose as anybody's first gun, but I like them.

tja6435
06-23-2022, 12:43 PM
My suggestion is a Ruger Wrangler. The grip is small enough for an 11 yr old to really be able to handle well. If set on a .38spl, the S&W Bodyguard is very light and has a small grip, which he should also be able to handle well. The downside is the recoil can be rough, but handloads make it very tolerable.

.22lr is more obtainable and cheaper than (non existent) primers. The Walmart in Canon City and Salida, CO almost always have the Federal 325rd boxes for a little under $22, which comes to $.0676/ea.

Another thought I had is a Ruger Speed Six with a Pachmayr Compac grip, I’m a big fan of their Compac grips for concealed revolver carry.

Freischütz
06-23-2022, 01:20 PM
If his hands aren't too small I'd get him a cap and ball revolver. I got one at 13. Had lots of fun trying different bullets and powder charges.

Percussion caps could be a problem. But with Remington models I’ve seen small pistol primers in plastic tubing used as a substitute.

VariableRecall
06-23-2022, 03:37 PM
I'm unsure if you've had a comprehensive chat regarding firearms and how to use them safely, but you should do that as well. One of my first firearms that I had fired was a Smith & Wesson .22 revolver owned by a family friend. I think I was only 10 or 12 years old then, but I fondly remember the experience.

One of those Ruger .22 SAA clones would be a fun experience as well, and the more tactile handling needed to operate it would make it more fun too. I'd say let your kid safely handle and operate your firearms collection using snap caps first, and let him work at his own pace that he feels comfortable at moving at.

Here's to building a wholesome relationship with firearms for the next generation!

Good Cheer
06-23-2022, 05:38 PM
If his hands aren't too small I'd get him a cap and ball revolver. I got one at 13. Had lots of fun trying different bullets and powder charges.

Percussion caps could be a problem. But with Remington models I’ve seen small pistol primers in plastic tubing used as a substitute.

Yep. 1849 Colt with a six inch barrel is a very good one to start off.

reddog81
06-23-2022, 06:36 PM
What 9mm's and 38's do you have? Why not start him out on those and see what he likes?

robg
06-26-2022, 05:57 PM
ruger single six convertible is a great gun or any s&w double action 38/357

ss30378
06-28-2022, 10:46 AM
I would say everyone is different, I just got my 9 year old daughter into shooting this year. I started her with my 10/22 which is a super light voluartsen setup and my much heavier Ruger precision rimfire. I naturally thought she would like the 10/22 better being that it was lighter and she could just keep pulling the trigger until empty but she much prefers running the bolt gun. Now we have our own little plinking competitions out to over 200yds and she wants me to enter her in our local NRL tournaments. She's been behind my 223, 300BO, 308 and 450BM without issue.

She's fired all of my pistols and revolvers (except the m500) and can handle much more than what most people would think. Her favorite revolver is the bisley single seven but she's shot all the way up to my 480 bisley (lighter load of course). Her least favorite to shoot is the double stack pistols just because they are a bit to fat in the grip for her to have a comfortable purchase but she's handled 5.7,9mm, 40, 10mm, and 45s without an issue.

She's tried them all and always gravitates back to the RPR 22lr so that's her gun now. The key for her was clear guidance, what to expect and to not force them into something they aren't ready for. My little girl asked to shoot everything she has shot. Before buying your son something I would get him out shooting to where he can try different things to see what he likes and go from there.

Eddie Southgate
06-28-2022, 12:17 PM
.32 SWL or .38 Special in either a Ruger Single Action or a Colt or S&W Double Action in the short barrel sizes . My first was an 1858 Remington .36 and then moved up to a Ruger Blackhawk .357. I was small as a child and did not shoot long barreled guns well until I was in my mid teens unless the gun was very light. I still much prefer 4" to 5" on target or hunting handguns . If I were a kid buying my first revolver it would be one of the new .32 magnums that will shoot the different .32's , probably a Ruger.

Eddie Southgate
06-28-2022, 12:22 PM
Yep. 1849 Colt with a six inch barrel is a very good one to start off.

I agree with the exception that factory made caps are harder to find than primers . A '62 Police would be my pick in a BP revolver for a kid unless he is a big kid.

Eddie Southgate
06-28-2022, 12:44 PM
When I was young, I as going through a brick each week.

That's cause your old like me and bricks were $4-$5 . I cut three yards for the lady across the street for $14.00 when I was in my early teens, that bought two bricks , a carton of Camels and I still had over a dollar to spare. A brick now cost more than my first .22 cost new and a lot of the .22 rimfire is so hit or miss it ain't worth toting home.

fatelk
06-28-2022, 01:03 PM
Every boy needs a boys rifle, so you really need to get him a WWII British .55 caliber Boys anti-tank rifle.

Just kidding of course. Such a wide variety of suggestions have already be made that I really can’t add anything new. I will just relate how it’s worked for my two boys.

My older son is 16, and little brother is 11. They’re all different, and what interests one may not interest the other. What’s really important is spending time with Dad, and developing that relationship. My older son is my range buddy. He’s ready to go anytime I am. My younger son is not as interested. He’d rather stay home and play video games. When I pry him out of the house and bring him along, he does have fun, but I can tell that it’s not really his thing.

I started them out with .22 rifles. They’ve never really shot BB guns like I did at that age, because we live in town. The only place we could shoot air rifles would be the range, and if we’re going to the range, I don’t see much point in shooting BB guns.

We started with a bolt action .22lr. He quickly outgrew that because he’d rather shoot my 10/22. I insisted he learn a decent level of marksmanship with the bolt action, then bought him his own 10/22 (it lives in my safe of course, until he’s 18). He never seems to tire of burning through.22 ammo. Of the various larger rifles we shoot, he has a strong preference for the old M1 carbine.

For handguns, we started on my old Ruger Standard .22lr, until I got a Ruger Wrangler. I really like the Wrangler; it’s hard to beat as a first handgun, I think. We then advanced to light .38 Special loads in my S&W 66. He’d burn through a couple hundred rounds at a time in that. Now that he’s a little older, we got a Taurus TX22 pistol. That quickly became his favorite, even over the .38 revolvers.

His younger brother primarily likes the .22s, but like I said he’s just not as interested no matter what I try.

The precision accuracy doesn’t seem to excite either of them. They’d much rather hit clay targets or watch cans fly. They get bored quick when I’m shooting for accuracy.

That’s just our experience. Everyone is different.

BLAHUT
06-28-2022, 01:05 PM
I start all young out with a bb gun, then move to a single shot .22 as they learn safety and progress, I start them off a bench and rest, then prone, then standing, a pistol is not a good choice to begin with. to easy to swing around, lots of time when they get bigger and smarter to switch to a pistol. I have yet to have a junior lose interest in shooting, I have had a lot of juniors lose interest in competition.

BLAHUT
06-28-2022, 01:13 PM
[ . They’ve never really shot BB guns like I did at that age, because we live in town. The only place we could shoot air rifles would be the range, and if we’re going to the range, I don’t see much point in shooting BB guns. ] YOU CAN SAT UP A BB GUN, A PELLET RIFLE IN A HALL OR A BASMENT OR GERAGE, AIR GUN RANGE IS 33 FT. FOR COMPITISION, APPLE BOX FILLED WITH RAGS WIII STOP AND CONTAIN A BB OR PELLET. I HAVE DONE THIS WITH MANEY JUNIORS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE PLANDS FOR A 10 MEETER PELLET BACK STOP LET ME KNOW ?

fatelk
06-28-2022, 02:59 PM
Nobody has basements in this part of the country, unfortunately, and my garage is cluttered and small, barely long enough to park a car in. “Discharging weapons” of any kind in city limits is illegal, and that includes air rifles and arrows. I have set up targets and let them shoot little youth bows in the back yard though.

paul edward
07-01-2022, 04:31 PM
Start with a 22. As proficiency develops (and if interest remains) upgrade to a 38 Special.

If you reload a lot of 38 Special, you might consider starting with reduced power loads with light bullets.

One benefit of using a 38 for training is that holes in the target are easier to see thus providing quick feedback, an important factor in learning to shoot well.

I agree with previous good advice on selecting an accurate revolver with adjustable sights.

BLAHUT
07-01-2022, 04:41 PM
Teach him the basics, with a bb gun, a .177 pelet gun, a single shot .22. Then move into what ever. All above very cost efictive. A good .177 pelet gun can put 10 rounds, almost in the same hole, at 10 meters, some do it in standing, no problem in prone.

willy
07-02-2022, 09:50 PM
Got to go with a good 22lr, I would recommend a model 17 with a 6 “ barrel,,low recoil,, and you will never outgrow a k frame,, My son started with my 17 and then moved up to the center fires,, But he still uses the 17 ,25 years later.

Bigbore5
07-03-2022, 08:06 AM
My first revolver was an Old Model Blackhawk .357. My dad got it for me when I was 12 once I healed a bit after being injured by a stock animal that was having a bad day.
I shot a ton of 38s through it since they were cheaper to reload after my Uncle showed me how to safely do it myself. But when handling the animals, it was always loaded with Keith loads.
I'd suggest a new model flattop in 4 5/8" or 5 1/2". Load it with standard velocity wadcutter.

Forrest r
07-03-2022, 01:59 PM
Nothing wrong with a mid sized revolver like the dan wesson model 15 series.

It's nothing to get extra bbl/bbl shroud combo's and use anything from 2 1/2" to 10" bbl lengths with low profile or vented ribbed shrouds along with anything from low profile to partridge front sights.

The 38spl is a fantastic cartridge for a young shooter to learn with.

35 Rem
07-06-2022, 09:53 PM
I love the 38 Special for fun shooting. I recently got a Uberti Stallion with a 5" barrel in 38 Special that would be a joy to shoot for a kid I'd think. For those not familiar with this model, it's a scaled down replica of the Colt Single Action Army. The frame size feels more like a rimfire than a centerfire. I've been mainly using mine with 4.0 grains Red Dot and a 125 grain Lee RNFP bullet. Supposed to be around 900 ft/sec but I haven't shot any across my chronograph. Who cares how fast it is though? It's fun to shoot and cheap. A single action is a good training gun in addition to having an aesthetic appeal. Sure 38 Special brass isn't as common as it used to be but if you make it a priority to own one, make a lifetime buy of brass and don't worry about what everybody else is doing. I have something like 2,000 cases and that should last a good while. Starline isn't going to drop the 38 for many years.

h8dirt
07-30-2022, 10:44 AM
My recommendation is a single action 22 LR. I still have the one I got >50 years ago when I was 13. It is a Ruger Single-six. I learned to take it apart, clean it and care for it … in addition to learning how to shoot it. It’s still accurate and, other than some minor bluing wear, in near new condition despite thousands of rounds down the pipe. My grandson is currently 7 and he will get this revolver in due time. Keep in mind that a boy’s first gun will likely be a legacy gun.

38SuperAuto
07-31-2022, 10:07 AM
I would go with a S&W 586 or 686, in the barrel length of your choice. Will work fine with 38 spl, and when he grows into it, will handle .357's, and will last a long time, shooting those.

+1 on S/W 586/686. When my son was ready, I loaded powderpuff loads in .357 - light powder charge and 105gr Lee SWCs. It's is a good flinch test for more experienced shoots too.

Electrod47
07-31-2022, 03:27 PM
My recommendation is a single action 22 LR. I still have the one I got >50 years ago when I was 13. It is a Ruger Single-six. I learned to take it apart, clean it and care for it … in addition to learning how to shoot it. It’s still accurate and, other than some minor bluing wear, in near new condition despite thousands of rounds down the pipe. My grandson is currently 7 and he will get this revolver in due time. Keep in mind that a boy’s first gun will likely be a legacy gun.

Exactly, Gotta start with a .22. I'v passed down many and they are much appreciated and since not overly expensive. there's little temptation to drop one at a pawn shop cause some new tech bauble as struck their fancy!

BLAHUT
07-31-2022, 03:45 PM
Start with a bb gun he can see where the bb flys or a .177 air rifle. Have him learn the basics with a rifle then move on to a pistol when he is older and hopefully more mature .. Saftey first. Always first.. Saftey glasses and ear plugs.

Cast10
08-01-2022, 10:56 AM
Heritage 22LR/22Mag combo. Good single six. I still enjoy shooting my sons!

Cheaper side for practice………Good pinker in the woods too!

murf205
08-01-2022, 12:43 PM
I'd get him a hunter safety course before I bought anything. Kids listen to instructors better than they do parents. Then I vote for a 22 bolt gun and Savage make a REALLY accurate one that will not break the bank.

gwpercle
08-01-2022, 05:21 PM
11 year old. 22 caliber ONLY. He's got his whole life ahead for larger calibers. Even though 38sp can be loaded down, it is NOT suitable for a pre teen.
Get him a ruger wrangler, below $200, and he can learn about revolvers. Or get him any number is 22 single shot, bolt or autos.
But get him a 22

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

:goodpost:
Handloader 109 makes a good point .

When I was his age I wanted a 22 single shot rifle but Dad got me a .410 pump shotgun ... I was a grown man before I got my 10/22 rifle and 70 years old before I got my Ruger Wrangler...
Get the boy what he wants ... a 22 rifle or Wrangler revolver .
The 38/357 Henry is nice , go ahead and get that one also ... he will take it over as he gets older and into more shooting . 22 LR ammo is starting to show up and even go on sale ... I just snagged two bulk boxes because it was on sale at local dealer's .
Reloading the 357 Henry is certianly a good option ... but shooting a 22 LR rifle , pistol or revolver is just plain old fun .
Gary

Piłsudski
08-01-2022, 07:27 PM
I note that you asked what you should buy for him. If the question is, what should you buy for him that he wants, then you would need to ask him that question.

I think that you should buy what you want him to have, and let him buy what he wants when he's older.

When I bought my first gun with the money I earned from a little job, my Dad steered me to buying a used Marlin 39a that was as old as I was at the time. But, what I really wanted was one of those Browning 22 Autos advertised in American Rifleman.

My older brother eventually bought a Browning 22 Auto when we both were much older. We would both go shooting gophers and my old 39a gave up nothing to his fancy Redfield-scoped Browning -- nothing at all.

Lesson here: my Dad had something to teach me and he taught me well. I still love my Marlin.

So now, to your question, which was specific: a revolver for your son's first gun.

A lot of this depends on whether you are fairly well off and other guns will be in the boy's future, or whether this is a one-time thing that means he will buy what he wants when he's old enough to buy it.

Another issue is whether you may end up with the gun yourself if he doesn't like it.

A third issue is whether you just want him to shoot, or whether you aim to teach him other things, as well.

Shooting from the hip, buy him a 38 Special and Lee mould for 148 gr wadcutters. If you don't have stuff for this, he'll need dies and a can of Bullseye.

He can learn to cast his own and load up the wadcutters with the old 2.7 gr of Bullseye under those wadcutters and there'll be no problem with recoil, blast, or cost compared to anything else.

For the gun, if money is an issue, why not look at one of those Rock Island Arsenal/Armscor 38 Special revolvers? They can be had for well under $300 and seem to be pretty good guns.

If you have some more money, you could go with a Single Action Ruger or a Double Action S&W or Ruger. If it was my kid, I would want to raise him up with correct taste and look for a 4" to 6" barreled Police Positive Special -- you should be able to find decent one for around $500.

Some have suggested Heritage revolvers -- I've seen them on the range and was not impressed at all with the quality or reliability of them. The cheap Ruger looks nice and would be, I think, a much better choice if I was buying a 22. However, depending how deep you want to get your boy (this would apply to a girl, as well) into guns and shooting, a 38 Spl offers a lot of learning and fun with no more cost. It wouldn't hurt a kid at all to learn casting and scrounging lead, for instance. Pan or tumble lube the boolits if you don't have or want to buy a lubricator and a die.

But back to the revolvers, the Heritage is made out of zinc (Zamac, actually) and I gave up on cap guns a long time ago, when my "Fanner 50" gave up the ghost and I ran out of "greenie stickum caps." The Ruger has a zinc frame, which I don't like at all, either. Anything made of zinc, I would not want, myself.

Looking this stuff over, you have to decide your son's level of interest, the goals you have for him, and his physical capabilities.

I can't see anything that would rule out the 38 Spl revolvers I've mentioned. Or, if you want to expand your own gun "establishment," you could consider 32 S&W in a Colt Police Positive. That would save you a little in powder, lead, and recoil. If the tooling and die investment isn't objectionable to you. I considered just such a route for my Wife sometime back, but ended up getting her a Ruger Mk 4 bull barrel. But that experience and choice doesn't parallel your situation. My only point is that 32 S&W is worthy of consideration as a cartridge and the guns chambered for it.

I agree that 32-20 might not be optimal, and for a younger and/or smaller-handed shooter, like a boy or girl, a small framed Colt or S&W is a better way to go than a medium I/E or K/L frame.

Let us know what you got!

deltaenterprizes
08-02-2022, 09:09 AM

As for handgun:

2. As a next choice I would consider either S&W M52, or one of those target grade S&W revolvers in 38 Special.

Just my 2 cents...

S&W Model 52s are going for $2500+ and mags are $250!

Randy Bohannon
08-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Handguns are for when you can’t get to a rifle, so the rifle first. You and him get a couple of bolt action .22 rifles and go a Appleseed event. You and him will learn more about shooting in two afternoons than a lifetime of figuring it out on your own I can’t recommend this more than anything, building good safe habits and being accurate is what it’s about. Good luck with your choice.

Krh1326
08-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Huge fan of my SP101. Grips available from Hogue and others, small frame. Fine in .38 spl , and the boy can’t outgrow it when the .357 cartridges go in.

.22 was the “thing” when I was a boy, but with prices as they are, and reloading options out there…. I’ve heard the term “ .38 spl is the new .22 “

Piłsudski
08-02-2022, 05:32 PM
.22 was the “thing” when I was a boy, but with prices as they are, and reloading options out there…. I’ve heard the term “ .38 spl is the new .22 “

Exactly! Except this was true for me over 40 years ago.

I was a young worker with a stay-at-home wife who sewed clothes and baked bread for our four little ones. We drove old clunkers I repaired and spent very little money.

I went to the range and dug range lead and cast it in a 45 round nose Lee mould, and pan lubed it with the Lee kit.

Also, out at the range, there was someone who shot a Thompson or something on the pistol range. Often, I could climb on the bench and retrieve several hundred 45 Auto cases from the gutter above. The "penny a primer and penny for powder" formula worked quite well, except that on gopher hunts, my valuable free brass was thrown all over the sage brush.

I thought about this problem and decided I needed a revolver (altho my Dad considered this quite a "step down" from a 1911.) I was quite young and impressionable and my friend who owned the LGS told me that, back in the "old days," real target shooters only shot Colts -- S&W was looked at as equal to an Iver Johnson to that crowd.

Soon, I ended up with a pair of old Colts. My LGS friend had a pretty crazy shop, and in the corner was a box of 38 brass that I bought priced by the pound. I began with a Lee 140 gr. Mould, but graduated to a Lyman 358495. Many caps were busted and even a few gophers were felled with those boolits when the 22 got boring over the course of a day.

As Krh suggested, I found out that “ .38 spl is the new .22 “ a long time ago. Primers are now more than a penny a piece, but Bulleye is still pretty cheap @ 2.7 gr. a load. For a young fella or gal who is interested, there's a lot of lessons to be learned with this scrounging-casting-reloading-shooting combination. It's hugely more constructive than video games and is something that can be done together, whether at the range or afield.

Cargo
08-02-2022, 06:38 PM
We decided to look at our kids as if it would be the only centerfire handgun they would have. We wanted it to be easy to learn, carry, shoot and reload for so we decided on .357s. The guys have GP100s and my daughter has a 4" Service Six. They normally shoot .38s out of them. They also all have rimfires for target practice and training. Ours are aged 11-15