PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry in ILL?

jaysouth
06-19-2022, 11:43 PM
Anyone familiar with DuPage country? I have a concealed carry permit in TN. As I understand, I can have a loaded handgun in my car while driving in ILL, but cannot carry the gun outside of the auto. Any special regulations in Dupage County that are more restrictive than other counties outside of Cook Co.?

Minerat
06-19-2022, 11:58 PM
This might help you some.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/il-gun-laws/

Thumbcocker
06-20-2022, 08:51 AM
Illinois does not recognize any permit from any other state. Firearms must be unloaded and cased or unloaded and not accessible like in the trunk. Having a loaded accessible handgun is a felony.

Thumbcocker
06-20-2022, 08:57 AM
https://isp.illinois.gov/Foid/Forms

This has a pdf on transporting a firearm in Illinois.

legend 550
06-20-2022, 02:44 PM
https://handgunlaw.us/ When in doubt. The way I understand if your from out of state with no FOID card, unassembled in inoperable condition locked in a separate compartment not accessible. I go to great lengths to avoid Illinois.

mattw
06-20-2022, 06:15 PM
All good points. In IL we do not recognize any other states carry permits. As said above, without a FOID card an operable firearm not separated from the passengers will get you in serious trouble. I do not go up north in IL, up north sucks but I do know some of the counties have differing opinions on unlawful use of a weapon. As a resident with a FOID, I can keep my pistol in the console with slide locked back and a loaded magazine in the same console. I will not go through the crap and wait for 1/2 a year for the states permission to carry a firearm. Hoping to retire this year and move to a much more friendly state.

This is the state that just changed the FOID/CCW statutes to remove the expiration dates from your FOID/CCW card... this sounds like a few years from now there may be a bunch of UUW charges when folks get caught with the expired card that does not tell you is expired.

jaysouth
06-20-2022, 08:23 PM
Illinois does not recognize any permit from any other state. Firearms must be unloaded and cased or unloaded and not accessible like in the trunk. Having a loaded accessible handgun is a felony.

Here is a quote from the link you provided:

I HAVE A CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE
ISSUED BY ANOTHER STATE, IS MY LICENSE
RECOGNIZED IN ILLINOIS?
No. Illinois does not recognize concealed carry licenses
from other states. However, a resident from another state
who has a valid concealed carry license from their home
state may carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle while
traveling through Illinois. If the non-resident leaves his or
her vehicle unattended, the firearm shall be stored within a
locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle.

Are there any more restrictive laws in DuPage County?

Thumbcocker
06-20-2022, 08:26 PM
I was not aware of that change. Can't speak for Du Page County.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk