View Full Version : Bullet seating depth

shaggybull
06-18-2022, 04:39 PM
243 win Savage axis rifle, I'm having to seat cast bullet 2.495 " in order to close bolt. Is this to deep? I have both Louvern and RCBs mold

pworley1
06-18-2022, 06:09 PM
If that is the 90g Loverin you have loaded, it is supposed to be seated to 2.455 according to the Lyman manual. I can't tell which RCBS bullet you have, but your length should be fine.

wmitty
06-18-2022, 07:35 PM
Too deep would be when the boolit falls into the case. If the throat’s too short to allow the gas check to be contained within the case neck, the boolit may or may not be suitable for your intended purpose. If the throat is too short and you wish to use this particular design boolit, the throat can be reamed to allow a longer amount of projection from the case mouth. Of course, magazine length also has to be taken into consideration.

charlie b
06-18-2022, 07:49 PM
I frequently use bullets that have the GC well below the neck. Make sure your gas checks are the crimp on type and they fit well. I only use Hornady GC's on those bullets.

Winger Ed.
06-18-2022, 08:52 PM
I frequently use bullets that have the GC well below the neck. I only use Hornady GC's on those bullets.

That's how I've always done it.

If you're getting a short length of rifling scratched into the boolit, that's pretty normal.
But you shouldn't have a hard resistance to close the bolt.
Some boolit designs are even made to do that and you will feel something when the bolt closes.

shaggybull
06-18-2022, 09:39 PM
RCBS 243 95 sp my Lyman cast bullet book has this one at 2.610 which is to long for my gun. I didn't look in all my books finally found Louvern bullet in Lyman 46 & 47. Thanks for the input