PDA

View Full Version : Can I drill my heater?

Ian Robertson
01-25-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a Lyman heater and I would like to drill and tap it for a 45 sizer. I assume there must be a heater in the hole like on a soldering iron but?? Anybody know exactly what is in it? Hate to bugger it up!

Thanks!

MT Gianni
01-26-2009, 12:29 AM
How about making an adapter plate out of steel to fit the heater and bolt to your 45 luber. It should conduct the same as if they were together.
Welcome aboard, Ian.

HeavyMetal
01-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I have the same heater and Lyman makes a big stink about not drilling it!

I can't believe your the only guy that owns a old 45 sizer that wants to use a heater, so suggest you contact Lyman. If you purchased it new they may exchange for one with the correct holes in it?? They may also have pre planned where the holes can be drilled without damageing the heater.

Either way a call to the service dept is possibly the best thing to do.

If you purchased it used, or Lyman won't give you the time of day, Mt Gianni's suggestion an excellent plan B! Although I think aluminum conducts heat better than steel!

So I'll suggest a piece of 1/4 inch think aluminum plate, drilled and tapped for the old 45 and then secured with the same 4 bolts designed to hold the heater to your bench!

Welcome aboard and hope we helped get you going.

01-26-2009, 01:21 AM
Adaptor plate is the only way to go.

montana_charlie
01-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I would lay that heater flat on a bench, and cover the top with a 'grid pattern' of birthday candles.

Plug it in and keep checking until the candles start to soften...but not make a mess.

You can probably get a pretty clear picture of where the critical areas are...if you don't wait till 'too late' to check on it.
CM

Gussy
01-26-2009, 01:29 PM
I drilled one once. I didn't figure that they would/could drill a curved hole and then put in a curved heater. Figured it was a staight in thing. As far as I know, it's still woking.

Ian Robertson
01-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Thats what I figure, hard to drill a crooked hole but mine is rough enough that it could have started life as a casting. I chickened out and made an adapter plate. I like the candle idea, could also be done with a thermometer of some sort.

Thanks guys!