PDA

View Full Version : Were there any smokeless 8 gauges?

HumptyDumpty
06-16-2022, 11:16 AM
Were there ever any commercially-available 8-gauge shoguns, rated for smokeless? Reading a bit, it seems like most (all?) were discontinued right around the time that BP fell out of use. It sure would be a cool thing to have.

megasupermagnum
06-16-2022, 03:28 PM
Yes, and they still exist today.

HumptyDumpty
06-16-2022, 04:56 PM
Yes, and they still exist today.

Any examples for me to look up? I know about the industrial shotguns, but that's not quite what I am talking about.

Mk42gunner
06-16-2022, 08:22 PM
Just guessing here, but you might have to check availability from England or continental Europe. I believe most 8 gauges fell out of favor when market gunning became illegal and the largest you could use for migratory waterfowl (here in the states) was the ten gauge.

Robert

smkummer
06-17-2022, 08:58 AM
I have been looking for one for 15 years. Don’t want to pay $30-50K for the few Parkers made.

elk hunter
06-17-2022, 09:36 AM
A few years back there was someone that was making tight bore 8 gauge shotguns out of heavy barreled 10 gauge guns. Don't remember who that was. You can most likely order a new one from one of the British makers or, if you want a challenge, make one from scratch. I have a rather crude Belgian made 8 gauge double that I have shot black powder loads in. Fun, but not very practical.

HumptyDumpty
06-17-2022, 10:11 AM
Well, at least they survived into the smokeless era; the only example I have ever seen, was strictly BP. I'd love to have one, but not at machine gun prices.

6pt-sika
06-18-2022, 05:03 AM
I have been looking for one for 15 years. Don’t want to pay $30-50K for the few Parkers made.

I had four and am down to three now . You can get any of them for a good bit less than 30k and yes all I’ve had were Parker guns either damascus or twist . I’ve seen several fluid steel Parker’s that were 8 gauge and all were DH or CH grade , all of them were in the 50k plus area .

Squid Boy
06-18-2022, 07:56 AM
It is an interesting question and all the Brit or European 8's I have seen are BP proofed. My Bonehill is BP. However, a fluid steel Parker might very well pass a nitro proof. The other thing is that I have never seen an 8 gauge nitro shell advertised in the old catalogs either. Maybe that's part of it. Thanks, Squid Boy

sharps4590
06-18-2022, 08:30 AM
Isn't the 8 gauge still used in some kind of kiln or something, for breaking up klinkers or something like that? Seems I read that many years ago.....and it might have been enough years ago it's no longer done.

HumptyDumpty
06-18-2022, 08:51 AM
Isn't the 8 gauge still used in some kind of kiln or something, for breaking up klinkers or something like that? Seems I read that many years ago.....and it might have been enough years ago it's no longer done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqGPgdtHW-0

6pt-sika
06-18-2022, 05:43 PM
It is an interesting question and all the Brit or European 8's I have seen are BP proofed. My Bonehill is BP. However, a fluid steel Parker might very well pass a nitro proof. The other thing is that I have never seen an 8 gauge nitro shell advertised in the old catalogs either. Maybe that's part of it. Thanks, Squid Boy

I bought a Parker Grade 2 top lever hammer 10 gauge with damascus 32” barrels and a second set of Belgium made and proofed fluid steel 10 gauge 32” with 3 1/2” chambers and Briley screw ins . I tell you this because it belonged to the same man that owned your 8 gauge before you .

6pt-sika
06-18-2022, 05:48 PM

They still load for the kiln guns . That’s the main source for hulls . And it seems the way the hulls are procured for hobby 8 gaugers like myself is to pull the primed hulls directly off the production line . Another fellow I consider a friend works out the deals with Winchester for buys of 5,000 new hulls at a pop ! The last time I’m aware that he bought a bunch he ran them thru Precision Reloading for resale . I had pre ordered in advance of them arriving and bought 600 at a cost of about $1.25 each plus shipping .

ascast
06-18-2022, 06:06 PM
I have a couple boxes of smokeless shells ready to go. HMU when you get the rest together. LOL

Squid Boy
06-18-2022, 09:25 PM
I dismantled two boxes of Remington kiln gun shells for the hulls. They had 3 ounce lead slugs and 109 grains of smokeless powder in them. Yes, that's not a typo 109 grains. No wonder they shoot them in a small cannon. The good news is the cement industry and related ones still use these guns but whether they will continue to sell hulls to reloaders is still up in the air. I wish Federal would get into the market. Squid Boy