PDA

View Full Version : Where would you live if health and money wasn't a problem?

warren5421
06-15-2022, 01:15 PM
If you could live any place where would it be? I would love to live in Alaska, been there a lot. Wanted to move there in 1968 and Uncle Sam sent me Greetings and while serving meant my first wife and we ended up with 3 kids and 7 years Navy. When she died I wanted to move but had a 16 year old girl, 13 year old girl and 4 year old boy. Was offered a high paying job so stayed in the lower 48. Second wife was ok with moving, but wait till we retire. Now my health forces me to live where there is good health care only minutes away. Since snow and/or cold isn't something I can work with it is Indianapolis summers and Gulf Coast winters. It's sailing either place, no snow to get moved and temperatures 50 and above.

pworley1
06-15-2022, 01:20 PM
I do live right where I want to. Northeast Mississippi.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-15-2022, 01:28 PM
I'm home. :D

You probably are also, if you think about it. There's lots of snow to be moved in Alaska!

DG

jim 44-40
06-15-2022, 01:57 PM
Indian River Inlet, Delaware

1Hawkeye
06-15-2022, 02:00 PM
I wish I was back in Vermont.

Char-Gar
06-15-2022, 02:00 PM
I like where I am at. I was raised here. My wife is from here. It suits me just fine. The grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence. Wherever you are, there you are. Your problems and issues are indeed portable.

Hannibal
06-15-2022, 02:21 PM
I've been fortunate to live where I wanted to live for all but 4 years of my life while on active duty. I'll retire in 4 years, my health is good and my wife works remotely so I may buy an RV and live wherever it's parked for a year or so just to see some sights I've yet to see. When that's over I'll come back here to live out my days.
Here is Missouri.

sparky45
06-15-2022, 02:33 PM
I'd move to the Grand Lake in NE OK for the summer and my second house in Vermont for the winter.

gwpercle
06-15-2022, 02:38 PM
Louisiana .

My family moved from a town on the border of France and Germany to settle the German Coast ... an area above New Orleans on the West bank of the Mississippi River in 1720 . These ancestors spoke both German and French . We have lived in Louisiana for 302 years ... I don't have any big burning desire to leave just yet ... I hate moving .
Louisiana is a magical place like no other , it gets into your soul and holds your thoughts and memories like a old lover ... you just can't leave her .
Gary

Geezer in NH
06-15-2022, 03:07 PM
I am where wife and I picked 37 years ago

farmbif
06-15-2022, 03:21 PM
where the grass is greener, of course
if you are not living where or even how you want to be living you might want to do what it takes to make it happen.

.429&H110
06-15-2022, 03:28 PM
Long ago 1980's, planning for retirement I was warned:
>>inflation will wipe out your life savings<<

This plan has been in place awhile, now it's law.

I am living in what was once the cheapest place with lowest humidity.
(CA invaded drove up prices)(My 1600 sqft shows 300k, I should sell it)
Today the dewpoint is 18F, in the shade 100F feels good on my hands.
Doctors are local, walmart is a mile away, Tucson is 15 miles away.
I grow beans. Year round.
I am going to die broke, with ammo left over.

What does it matter where you live, if you can't afford to live there?
Money no object is a pipe dream.
Reality is reelect no-one.

blackthorn
06-15-2022, 05:20 PM
Right here in Kamloops BC! Health is still good so no need to consider moving anywhere yet. Only regret is we bought within city limits and Kamloops is the permit capital of the world!

Shawlerbrook
06-15-2022, 05:40 PM
I would probably pick either Wyoming or South Dakota right now. Alaska would be high on my list if in my youth ( mid 70’s) the stars aligned. NYS ecologically and geologically is fantastic but the leftist urbanites and crooked politicians have made it unbearable.

Handloader109
06-15-2022, 07:21 PM
Wanted to get a place around Mexico Beach, Fl, but never had the money for a place down there at the right time. With the hurricane that went through and wiped it off the map, it ain't gonna happen. I guess we'll stay in NW Arkansas, house is paid for, and climate is good most of the year.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jim 44-40
06-15-2022, 07:33 PM
Right here in Kamloops BC! Health is still good so no need to consider moving anywhere yet. Only regret is we bought within city limits and Kamloops is the permit capital of the world!

Hitch hiked up to Peachland from Vancouver back in the early 70's
Can't blame you for not wanting to leave!

Shanghai Jack
06-15-2022, 08:12 PM
If money wasn't an object I'd buy Kalifornia and sent everyone to New York.

.429&H110
06-15-2022, 08:14 PM
Key Largo in the 70's was a frostbitten yankee's dream.
I looked again in the 80's, the reef was dead, grouper gone.
I am fortunate to have seen the Pennecamp reef in color.
The global warming acolytes say the warm water killed it.
I say sunscreen and sewerage wiped out the coral.

sigep1764
06-15-2022, 08:21 PM
50 acres in the middle of Missouri or on a lake in Missouri. Enough space the neighbors leave us alone and plenty of outside activity.

xs11jack
06-15-2022, 08:45 PM
Was sent to St Louis by my company in 1989 and was retired on 12-31-2000. Company (based in Minneapolis) said we will move you back here or you can stay where you are now. "Now I said." In the 30 years since my wife and I has joined the suburban area where we live in O'Fallon. The 6 or 7 houses in the gathering support one another all the time and we check on the ones we haven't seem in a day or so. Cell phones help. Church is so great and is a part of that formula. Going to die here I guess.
Ole Jack

Shopdog
06-15-2022, 09:30 PM
I'm good. Built our 1810 Federal period reproduction,pretty much by myself goin on 40 years ago.... nicer now than when new.

Gator 45/70
06-15-2022, 10:04 PM
Heck, My wife would force me onto a catamaran island jumping in the Caribbean sea all the way down into Belize island jumping snorkeling for lobsters and good eating fish. Being served funny drinks with tiny umbrellas on top by well endowed native women, Smoking Cuban cigars.
Sometimes a wife can be tough on a fellow?

Idaho45guy
06-16-2022, 04:41 AM
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest in Idaho, so it is what I am accustomed to.

Beautiful mountains, low humidity, not too bad with bugs, no rattlesnakes, mild summers with temps rarely reaching 100 degrees and winters being occasionally nasty, but survivable. Hunting and fishing opportunities that the world envies, along with a conservative government and a life of freedom and fun.

Then California discovered the area in the 80's, and again in the mid 2000's. Now, we have the same weather, fishing, bugs, humidity, etc. But, the home prices have tripled while wages and income have stayed the same. The median home price here is now $400k while the median family income is $51k.

The cost to rent a space for a trailer home is now $600.

I bought my modest home in a small town for $115k in 2014. I now get regular letters from realtors asking me to sell it for $250k cash to them.

Traffic is up, crime is up, and going to Walmart is a study in mental illness. I seriously pack a pistol whenever I go to the Walmart due to how sketchy it has become.

If I suddenly had $20 million dollars, I would buy 100 acres about 40 miles East of here on the edge of wilderness and build an off-grid home and shop. I would spend my days shooting my guns and working on old muscle cars.

Randy Bohannon
06-16-2022, 06:57 AM
I knew for the past 40 years CA was not in my cards for retirement after 32 years in the Fire Service. I had a nice 2100 sq, ft. home in the Sierra foothills and a incident with a deer I legally killed in ID and brought home to have CA DFG confiscate ,write me a ticket, arrested, booked in Calaveras county the day of my court appearance . Because of CWD that has never appeared in CA. and deer cross borders everyday in CA .But they had done 900 new laws that year and stupid CWD law passed that you couldn’t bring deer from another state into CA with any part of the brain or spinal column. 2 years probation, $650.00 fine, House was put up for sale that day, sold in two weeks,loaded up two 24’ UHauls and moved to Wyoming. Only a town had been selected, no house,no living arrangement made until I got here . Unloaded everything into storage and camped in the mountains until I found a home.
Worth every inconceivable twist and turn to get here in the best place left on earth. God made it happen with perseverance and faith .

John Guedry
06-16-2022, 07:54 AM
Plus one on that Gary!

namsag
06-16-2022, 08:09 AM
10,000 acre estancia in Uruguay.

06-16-2022, 08:21 AM
Born and raised by Lake Ontario, NY. Love the country there. Moved to Maryland for a job and collected a couple wives there (current 30 year marriage is the best!). Both NY & Maryland are liberal pits and given the chance I'd move to Montana or S.D.

JoeJames
06-16-2022, 09:19 AM
I do live right where I want to. Northeast Mississippi.I saw this thread, and my first thought was Oxford, Mississippi, in NW Mississippi. Lifelong Arkansan, but I do like Oxford.

MostlyLeverGuns
06-16-2022, 09:45 AM
I think it takes two places, at a minimum. A summer/fall place in the Rockies - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and a winter/spring place - Texas, Tennessee, Florida, maybe some other Southeastern kind of place.

snowwolfe
06-16-2022, 09:52 AM
I never see myself moving out of Tennessee. With over 35 years of living in Alaska in my rear view mirror would love to have a summer house on the Kenai. Move up in April and leave first part of October.

414gates
06-16-2022, 09:52 AM
I'd be very happy to live close to a 2 mile desert shooting range, with at least one good gunsmith an hour away in any direction.

MrWolf
06-16-2022, 10:01 AM
I am lucky. I love where I am at, 81 acres, no neighbors and a gun friendly state. My back prevents me from any type of distance driving and I manage the winters, don't like them but I manage. GF and I both have family 2-4 hours from here. I do want a pond though. My lil Kubota BX23s not really up to it but keep saying someday. Now if the offer was to fix my back, that is another story...

Rich/WIS
06-16-2022, 10:40 AM
In my military career (20 years) have lived in NJ, SC, MO, and KS for two to three years in each. Also had short stays (2-5 months) in AL and MD. Was born and raised in PA and retired in WI. All had good points and bad and in places like NJ and MD bad went to worse. Four years ago moved to Eastern KY to get out of the cold in WI. Winters can have cold spells here but not the negative numbers like WI and summers are not bad, really hot days are few and my house has AC. Only real negative is most of my family (kids and grandkids) are in WI but its an easy 12-13 hour ride so not too bad. The grandkids are still small and suspect I will move back at some point, but not in a big hurry. Have 3.75 acres with a one acre pond and property abuts the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest. Neighbors are not too close but near enough and KY is a 2A friendly state with good hunting and fishing and the range I belong to is 11 miles away. Plenty of places to eat, a good selection of stores, and medical care nearby in an emergency and a VA clinic about 50 miles away for routine care. Added bonus is property taxes are low and if over 65 they deduct something like $38,000 from your tax assessment.

memtb
06-16-2022, 10:46 AM
Right where I live……Wyoming! With Alaska a very, very close second place!

It took some sacrifices to get here. A big cut in pay, move my family 1800 miles from our home in Louisiana, learn an entirely new lifestyle, and many other challenges, the worst of which…..a divorce and my kids moving back! memtb

gc45
06-16-2022, 02:23 PM
I know the perfect Utopia, but I ain't telling anyone!

firefly1957
06-16-2022, 09:51 PM
A tropical island with very few people and NO GOVERNMENT!

45workhorse
06-16-2022, 10:30 PM
WELL, since we are dreaming. I want my house siting in the middle of a piece of property, that when I let loose with the Ma Deuce sitting on top of my house I don't have to worry about it leaving my property!!!! That would be sweet. Can you imagine letting loose a belt of ammo........okay back to reality!!!!!!!

PS if somebody has that please don't tell me.

gc45
06-17-2022, 12:27 AM
Ma Duce, very cool! I had the pleasure of firing the German MG-42, very exhilarating!

MT Gianni
06-17-2022, 12:32 AM
Summer in Montana at least 50 miles from any city over 20,000 population. Winter in alternating years in Southern Chile/Argentina, New Zealand, Western Australia, Tahiti and Costa Rica. I would miss ice fishing but should keep busy enough fishing southern waters.

Walks
06-17-2022, 01:51 AM
Anywhere but CA, IL, NY

MrWolf
06-17-2022, 10:11 AM
Anywhere but CA, IL, NY

You forgot to add NJ. Left there after 57 years.

Electrod47
06-17-2022, 10:35 AM
If I won the lottery, there's only 2 places I would want to be. Divide my time between 2 small comfortable homes. One located in Chino Valley AZ and the other located in Coleman TX. For those in the know you know why.

Idaho45guy
06-17-2022, 03:59 PM
If I won the lottery, there's only 2 places I would want to be. Divide my time between 2 small comfortable homes. One located in Chino Valley AZ and the other located in Coleman TX. For those in the know you know why.

I used to live in Chino Valley and found it a bit trashy and ugly. But the best 870 gunsmith in the world lived there and did some work for me on a shotgun.

No idea what is has to do with Coleman, TX. Both appear to be small towns in the high desert.

.429&H110
06-18-2022, 04:33 PM
If you like snow...

Alpine Creek Lodge, Denali Highway is on the south side of the Alaska Range in the Clearwater Mountains, by the Susitna river. Their base snow is ten feet deep, then it snows every day. The Susitna valley becomes a smooth white snow machine playground by February for hundreds of square miles. The lodge is 40 miles off-grid, hydro for electric, coal for heat. Sign out front says free coffee. I vacationed there every chance I got, was only 260 miles from my house. It's a long winter, but gets an early spring on the south faces. The ghost town of Denali was one of the first big placer mines, all smoothed over now, the miners have moved up the creek. Alpine Creek Lodge has a claim on Windy creek, sluicing gravel for nuggets. The Clearwaters are closed to motorized hunting because of the sheep and I could not afford horseback bear hunting, so we didn't hunt above 4000 feet. It's wild, remote, a dozen people on a hundred miles of dirt road.
Lately I would rather grow beans in February.

Texas by God
06-18-2022, 05:56 PM
Where I am right now is perfect; but I wouldn't mind a Casita in Cabo San Lucas and a summer home in the Rockies.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Dusty Bannister
06-18-2022, 06:28 PM
I kind of like it where I am. Real winters, real summers and beautiful spring and fall. And halfway to anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Nobade
06-18-2022, 08:29 PM
Given enough funds, I would probably be riding motorcycles all over the planet and be extremely difficult to locate at any given time.

alamogunr
06-18-2022, 09:14 PM
I grew up in West Tennessee, went to college in East Tennessee and worked my first 4 years after college in Lansing, Michigan. Transferred back to West Tennessee over 53 years ago. Been retired over 16 years. We have burial plots here and don't plan to leave, no matter what.

atr
06-18-2022, 09:29 PM
Given enough funds, I would probably be riding motorcycles all over the planet and be extremely difficult to locate at any given time.

me too

GregLaROCHE
06-19-2022, 03:07 AM
I'm home. :D

You probably are also, if you think about it. There's lots of snow to be moved in Alaska!

DG

In some parts of Alaska, you don’t worry about moving snow. You just keep walking on top of it until spring.

1Papalote
06-19-2022, 05:32 AM
I'm too old to acclimate to the harshness of extreme winters. Spent time in Edmonton AB and found it to be an awesome place save the cold, snow, etc. My place is somewhere between the Red and Rio Grande. Hunting and fishing abound. I hope to spend my last days with a rifle, single action and a good knife.

jonp
06-19-2022, 05:51 AM
I wish I was back in Vermont.

Far North East VT on a 1,000 acres. If everything go's to heck I can fish, hunt, have a garden, cut firewood for heat right out the front door.

I've been all over the world and in every corner of the US. Nothing like home but I think that's the same for quite a number of folks

jonp
06-19-2022, 06:05 AM

I lived in Flagstaff several years during and after college. I thought the weather and people at that time were pretty darn near perfect if a bit on the dry side. Winters a little snow but not cold. Summers pleasant, easy drive to Phoenix, Vegas, National Parks etc. In the winter if you got cold an hours drive would have you in the 80's. Then the Californian's moved in and ruined it. Jacked up housing and land, rudeness, crime, got on local boards and started regulations etc. About the same everywhere they landed.

Scrounge
06-19-2022, 11:22 AM
If you could live any place where would it be? I would love to live in Alaska, been there a lot. Wanted to move there in 1968 and Uncle Sam sent me Greetings and while serving meant my first wife and we ended up with 3 kids and 7 years Navy. When she died I wanted to move but had a 16 year old girl, 13 year old girl and 4 year old boy. Was offered a high paying job so stayed in the lower 48. Second wife was ok with moving, but wait till we retire. Now my health forces me to live where there is good health care only minutes away. Since snow and/or cold isn't something I can work with it is Indianapolis summers and Gulf Coast winters. It's sailing either place, no snow to get moved and temperatures 50 and above.

IF money were no object, regardless of health, it would be Destin, Florida. It would make SWMBO happy for at least 15 minutes. and that would be worth it!

For myself, I could live about anywhere, though I'm about decently happy here in the OKC metro even without a decent workshop building. Only thing I'd need to make things perfect was for my wife to feel better, and have a real shop building. Unfortunately, money IS a factor, so that's not likely, either. Ah, well. Life is a beach. Everything looks great, and then suddenly you get sand in your shorts! ;)

Bill

1Hawkeye
06-19-2022, 01:30 PM
Far North East VT on a 1,000 acres. If everything go's to heck I can fish, hunt, have a garden, cut firewood for heat right out the front door.

I've been all over the world and in every corner of the US. Nothing like home but I think that's the same for quite a number of folks

Ah the north east kingdom beautiful territory. I grew up in Essex jct and spent my weekends roaming the woods near Underhill. Boy how I miss it.

Bwana John
06-19-2022, 03:46 PM
https://www.superyachtfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/U-21-TT-Andromeda-21m-Nic-De-Mey-Yachts-Andromeda-107m-Kleven-48098515756-705x470.jpg

Id like a change of scenery every once in a while... "Endless Summer".

107 meter Motor Yacht Andromeda, all the comforts of home.

With helo.

Bwana John
06-19-2022, 04:07 PM
Ah the north east kingdom beautiful territory. I grew up in Essex jct and spent my weekends roaming the woods near Underhill. Boy how I miss it.

When I saw Essex Junction, I thought Mojave Desert!!!
http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex,_San_Bernardino_County,_California (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex,_San_Bernardino_County,_California)

15meter
06-19-2022, 09:52 PM
Like it right where I am.

Last Sunday, skeet league in the AM, visit a long time friend in the early afternoon then drove up north to a buddy's place for Sunday evening. Beers and bonfire.

Monday went to a big bowling pin shoot @ Central Lake just to watch a couple hundred shooters kill bunches of bowling pins and not a single human. Still confused about how that could happen.
Then checked the buddy's deer hunting spot. Would've have gone out on his boat but there were storms forecast, so back to his place for more beer and bonfire. And the storm never materialized. Bummer.

Tuesday was head back south to pick up a Winchester 74 I had re-blued, then Sporting Clays with a different buddy. We've only been hanging around together since 1970.

Wednesday was steel falling plates at gun club #3 then lunch with another buddy. Then harass the wife. I still like harassing the wife after 39 years.

Thursday was back to the Sunday gun club for more tall tales and a little skeet in the morning, met my nephew in the afternoon for more sporting clays.

Friday was back road cruising on the Sportster, stopping @ 3 different buddy's place on the loop. Went out to a nice supper with the wife.

Saturday yard work for 2/3 of the day then 1/3 back on the bike with just one stop for a beer with a friend.

Today was trap at club #4, then out on a brewpub and restaurant cruise with the wife and daughter for fathers day.

Been to 44 states, worked in 33 of them plus Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico and China. So I have seen a little bit of the world.

Not sure I could find anyplace where I could have more fun.

Targa
06-19-2022, 11:57 PM
Lawrenceburg, Indiana.

quilbilly
06-20-2022, 12:28 PM
In spite of the politics of the Peoples Republic of Washington, right where we are. We call our place our piece of heaven for a reason.

bangerjim
06-20-2022, 12:30 PM
Right where I am at: Southern AZ in the winter and Northern AZ in the summer.

jimlj
06-21-2022, 11:40 AM
I've lived in Wyoming for the past 40 years. Until the past few years I've loved it here. Still love it, but the 6 month winter plus 2 months of what some call spring have started getting to me.
Bought a small house in Mesquite NV this year and plan to spend the winters there.
Gave my snowblower to my neighbor. First time in I don't know how many years I haven't owned at least one.
Life is good.

jdfoxinc
06-22-2022, 08:56 AM
Antigua.

waksupi
06-22-2022, 11:07 AM
Right where I am, but 40 years ago.

Idaho45guy
06-23-2022, 04:15 AM
Right where I am at: Southern AZ in the winter and Northern AZ in the summer.

I used to live in Prescott, and really enjoyed it. Perfect balance of the seasons with some beautiful terrain.

My folks winter in Yuma, and summer in Idaho. Would love to do that some day as well.

My dad recently won a county auction in Arizona for some land that the taxes were past due on. He got 5 acres about 15 miles East of Yuma in an area with some nice terrain and lots of deer and javelina sign. $5k.

I drove out there with him in my SUV...

He also won a 1 acre plot in a failed subdivision for $1k.

He plans on building a hunting camp on the 5 acres and just keeping the 1 acre as an investment. I may get the 5 acres some day and build an off-grid retirement home.

Dio
06-23-2022, 05:26 AM
Having been to Alaska a number of times and having never been or seen anything comparable I'd say that's the place for me! IF I was a younger man......