PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 4 hole sizers?

LeadHead72
06-11-2022, 07:07 PM
Simple question; if you had to choose one or the other across the board, would you go with two-hole sizing dies or four-hole sizing dies for a Lyman/RCBS lubrisizer?

poppy42
06-11-2022, 07:15 PM
Never gave it much thought. But let me put it this way if you get four hole sizers you can always plug 2 of the holes if ya need to!

LeadHead72
06-11-2022, 08:22 PM
Yes. What would you typically use to plug the extra holes without causing any sort of problem unplugging them later?

Fitz
06-11-2022, 08:30 PM
Yes. What would you typically use to plug the extra holes without causing any sort of problem unplugging them later?
lead is what I use

Half Dog
06-12-2022, 08:19 AM
I use Hi-Tek coating so I can’t offer an opinion but I do enjoy everything being clean.

Sasquatch-1
06-12-2022, 08:59 AM
I had to look up what you were talking about. I thought you had come up with something that would lube 2 or 4 bullets at a time. After I checked I realized you were talking about the lube holes.

I have one four hole and it only has the holes on two sides of the die. All the rest are two holes with holes on four sides of the die. I definitely prefer the two hole style.

vernm
06-12-2022, 03:17 PM

I keep a small bag of #7 1/2 lead shot just for that purpose. Push a lead shot into the hole in a row of lub holes you don't want to use. You may need to tap it lightly with a punch and light hammer to make sure it seals. Some times you may have to use a second piece of shot to ensure a good seal.

Remove the shot with a 1/16th inch drill bit. I just twist the bit with my fingers. When you dig into the lead enough to hold, just pull the piece of shot out. Use the drill bit to clear the hole of any lead pieces. I've never tried it but you might blow out the lead shot with air pressure hose. Hold a finger over the bottom of the die to seal the hole and stick the rubber tipped air hose into the top of the die.

Winger Ed.
06-12-2022, 03:48 PM
I never had any problems with any of them in my RCBS sizer.

Of the last several I've bought, I get the RCBS ones because I like the little green box they come in
over the clear tube Lyman has.

poppy42
06-12-2022, 03:50 PM
lead is what I use

^^^+1

vernm
06-12-2022, 04:03 PM
Forgot to give my opinion on your original question.

For the most part, it doesn't really matter. Dies with just two holes in the same row are enough to fill the large lub groove in Keith style Boolits. If you properly adjust the pressure and heat in the sizer.

Boolits that have multiple grooves have much smaller grooves and are easier/faster to fill. So four holes in the row are not usually needed. Again tweaking of lub heat and lub reservoir pressure may be necessary.

LeadHead72
06-12-2022, 07:59 PM
Thanks, guys.

35 Rem
06-12-2022, 11:20 PM
Darn, as long as I've been casting and i never even noticed they weren't all the same. Now I'll have to pay attention to whether or not i can tell any difference between the two versions.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-13-2022, 04:29 AM
I did get a couple Lyman sizer dies when the RCBS ones were hard to find. 4 holes is overkill and causes more problems without solving any, at least with the softer lube i use.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-13-2022, 01:26 PM
I prefer a die that's matched to the boolit I want to size.

sharps4590
06-13-2022, 06:32 PM
I have several of both, doesn't matter which one for me.

Rich/WIS
06-14-2022, 08:22 AM
For short pistol boolits with a single lube groove prefer the two hole since I don't have to worry about a hole near the base forcing lube under the boolit when sizing. For long multi groove rifle bullets prefer the four hole.

gwpercle
06-14-2022, 11:35 AM
I prefer the older 4-hole sizing dies .
Smoother finished with a tapered intrance .
Since I learned on the old 4-holers and Lyman 450 ... I know how to adjust the dies to get the lube where I want it ... 50 years at this game and never plugged a hole ... the dies are completely adjustable with a little screw . It ain't who you know ...it's what you know .
The two hole dies are rough and need hand finishing ...but after that do okay .
Gary

sharps4590
06-14-2022, 04:15 PM
I've never plugged a hole either, gw. As you said, if it's adjusted right it doesn't matter.

I'm gonna have to look and which I have more of.