PDA

View Full Version : Best modern reloading manual?

johnsonian09
06-11-2022, 05:21 PM
Currently using Lyman’s. Manual no problems with it but I know it doesn’t list some of the newer powders and little things like that. I also was using hornandys 10th edition on kindle but that one the electronics screwed up and Amazon cust service was unable to fix it. The new 11th doesnt work at all yet and not available locally. If I have to order a newer one..

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poppy42
06-11-2022, 05:48 PM
I don’t believe there is a best! It all depends on what you want to do! For cast, all the Lyman cast boolet handbooks contain useful information! As for product specific, that depends on what you load. If you only load sierra bullets then get a Sierra manual. If you only use Hodgen powder get a hodgen manual etc... For generic information you can’t beat Lyman. The Lee manual has some good general info also! Personally I get as many different manuals as I can!

fc60
06-11-2022, 06:29 PM
Greetings,

Lee's Second Edition manual is a compilation of many powder companies in one book. Plus, a lot of interesting/educational articles within.

It is not all that costly if you search eBay.

Cheers,

Dave

Winger Ed.
06-11-2022, 06:37 PM
It's more of a 'different' than which one is 'best'.

When developing a new load, I lay 4-5 of them out on the table turned to that cartridge,
and peruse over them like a General does a battlefield sand map in the movies.

recumbent
06-11-2022, 06:44 PM
The new Lyman is very good.

pworley1
06-11-2022, 06:45 PM
I have always liked Lyman best. Number 44 was the first one I bought new. I have been getting the new ones as they come out. I supply the missing powders by downloading from the company.

hoodat
06-11-2022, 07:04 PM
I've got them all, although not all are the newest. Use the on-line ones also. I've got ancient ones also, and the ancient powder to go with them. These days, with component availability the way it is, you'd better have several different ones. jd

jmorris
06-11-2022, 07:52 PM
The internet is the most modern one I have. Lots of sources to gather data from. Including the MFG/distributor, for even stuff that’s not in the books yet or has long since been eliminated from the pages of printed manuals.

15meter
06-11-2022, 09:54 PM
As others have stated, not sure there is a best.

My reloading "manual" stretches over 5 feet in length. It is a collection of manuals dating back to the 30's plus three ring binders with notes on specific cartridges I load for.

Haven't blown myself up yet, so either I should never waste my money on lottery tickets because I burnt up all my luck on reloading or I'm doing something right in my reloading and things are actually starting to make sense.

Suspect lottery tickets are a waste.

gc45
06-12-2022, 12:34 AM
I must have 20 manuals maybe more and use them all to find what I am looking for..One can't have enough..What I don't like is the lowering of pressures year after year in some manuals; it's all the lawyer junk we must put up with..My early Hornady manual is a good one for hunting loads and has served me well for 45 yrs, Ackley books for my 6 wildcats, Lyman for all my cast bullet rifles and handguns..Working up loads is a must, never start with max loads...

M-Tecs
06-12-2022, 12:39 AM
For the newest cartridges and powder the manufactures online sites are the most up to date. At best manuals take a year or two to start including the latest and greatest data.

ddeck22
06-12-2022, 08:13 AM
I vote for Lyman, I find it to be very complete and have pretty much everything I need. Although I've bought more and find myself referring to the Lyman's the most.

jd9770
06-12-2022, 05:34 PM
I have large selection of manuals. From recent releases to old. Like others have stated. Specific manuals for specific components. But the Lyman manuals cover cast bullets better than most others.

elmacgyver0
06-12-2022, 06:14 PM
Like the news, never limit yourself to one source of information.
If you find a of differences between sources, it is time to dig deeper.
I always lean toward the conservative side, so far, I have all my fingers.

Geezer in NH
06-12-2022, 06:50 PM
Half a shelf 6 feet long of Loading manuals, I use the Lyman 95% of the time.

mdi
06-13-2022, 12:53 PM
My favorite "generic" manuals are the Lyman (48th, 49th, 50th), For J bullets I like to use the manuals published by the bullet manufacturer. I have found that some manuals' publishers are connected to specific component manufacturers and omit some competitor's powders, my Hornady manual doesn't list any Hodgdon powders I use. For my use, the Lee manual is the last place I look for load data and my Lyman 50th is usually first...

jakharath
06-13-2022, 01:48 PM
I like the Lyman. Mostly use Hodgdon (Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester) powders because the load data on their website is easy to use.

Shawlerbrook
06-13-2022, 01:55 PM
Question should be best reloading manuals library.

John Guedry
06-14-2022, 07:34 AM
I'm a Lyman fan.

mdi
06-14-2022, 12:12 PM
Question should be best reloading manuals library.

Yep. I mainly use a few; Lyman 50th, Lyman Cast bullet handbook #3 and #4, Hodgdon annual manual, Hornady, and Nosler. I have others but these I use first, the most....

vonb
06-20-2022, 01:50 PM
Lyman is usually the closest is representing velocity. I also use Hodgdon online.

06-20-2022, 02:31 PM
Oh, boy........ what's better ~ Chevy or Ford. Of the very many I refer to, the Sierra and Lee get used the most. All the others get a good look-see on a regular basis, too.

Land Owner
06-20-2022, 04:33 PM
I like the "Complete Reloading Manual for the XXX" [caliber], sold by MidwayUSA (first place that comes to mind), and while the information is dated and there are newer powders not listed, having most Powder and Bullet Mfg resources in a single caliber, simple, flip-through pamphlet is quite convenient.

I also have a thirty-five-year library of Mfg manuals and pamphlets from before my time through about 2 years ago. I am not expanding the calibers which I shoot and have components to last my lifetime.

Estacado
06-21-2022, 08:19 AM
I agree with most. Lyman is my go to manual. I know you asked for latest, but no one should be without Ken Water's : "Pet Loads".

lotech
06-21-2022, 08:48 AM
No single "best" and online is useful but limited. Can't have too many load manuals. Even the old ones are good reference sources. I have at least forty or so. Someone mentioned Ken Waters "Pet Loads". A lot of that material is dated but still applicable. No serious handloader should be without it.

Soundguy
06-21-2022, 10:35 AM
Manuals? More is better... I grab any manual if I use their components.. I also grab all the universal manuals I can.

super6
06-21-2022, 12:54 PM
I am also a fan of midways load for calibers manuals. That said I have no less than 20-30 other manuals. I also read and record powder labels with load data, I also collect all the pamphlets I can get my hands on, Think Vihta Vuori.

GONRA
06-22-2022, 05:46 PM
85 yer olde GONRA reads INTERNET for the junque I reload.
Carefully CROSS CHECK, COMPARE, with POWDER manufacturer's published info.
(INTERNET is yer friend - if used correctly!)
Another one of my cousin's died today. "Mortality" REALLY pisses me off!....)

megasupermagnum
06-28-2022, 02:57 PM
It depends on what you are loading. As a brand, nobody had done a better overall job than Lyman. They make specific manuals for shotgun, rifle/pistol, pistol/revolver, and even blackpowder bpcr/muzzleloading rifle/pistol/shotgun. Some form of Lyman manual is almost always the first I look in. The biggest problem with Lyman data is often their velocities are way lower than you see for some reason. I actually like this compared to most others testing pistols in 10" barrels. The Lee 2nd edition is probably my favorite overall for pistol/rifle, and I prefer it over the general Lyman reloading manual (50th for example). I do have a saved copy of an old Alliant manual, which is really a Hercules manual. Once Alliant took over, they have done next to no load testing, and for some reason delete more and more data every year. They deleted perfectly safe, and very good loads to promote their new powders nobody wants. The current online Alliant data is outright pathetic. The Hodgdon website on the other hand is a great resource, but it doesn't have anything that Lyman doesn't already list that I have seen.

Rich/WIS
06-30-2022, 10:21 AM
Started with a then new Lyman 45th followed by a Hornady 3rd, an NRA Reloading, a Lyman 3rd Cast and last a Lee 2nd. Also collected all the pamphlets that Win, Hogdon , Hercules/Alliant and IMR used to give out. Not worried about the latest info too much, "newest" cartridge I shoot is the 243 Win.

kerplode
06-30-2022, 09:14 PM
I have lots of manuals...I find myself referring to Lyman most often. They seem to have the best breadth of information.

The newest revision of Lee 2nd is surprisingly good as well.

robg
07-01-2022, 03:27 AM
i like the lee manual ,i have lyman sierra and others .i use powder manufactures on line manuals for the powders i use as well. more the better.

GregLaROCHE
07-01-2022, 05:13 AM
The Lyman cast Bullet manual is probably the best one to start with. However, with time most people start looking in other places for new or different loads. Luckily the internet has evolved to where it is today. There’s a wealth of information out there.

Hi-Speed
07-01-2022, 04:55 PM
Reloading for approximately 50 yrs, I rely on Speer, Lyman Cast and Hornady reloading manuals as updated. I also like Handloader Magazine for 38-44 and 357 Magnum loads.

dryflash3
07-22-2022, 12:22 AM
The new Lyman is very good.

Yes #50 to be exact.