PDA

View Full Version : Small hooded front sight post

Danth
06-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Anyone have a method for making a tiny front sight post with a bead on top of the post? I'm working on a Steven's tip-up pocket rifle with a very small hooded front sight. The post has a tiny bead on top. Any suggestions as to how this post can best be made? Thanks, Dan

pietro
06-11-2022, 10:29 AM

A flat or small notch can into the rear/top corner of the sight blade to accept a small bead of solder there.

Rapier
06-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Well I see you are from the home of Robert Rogers, been there.

You could silver solder a steel bird shot on a post. Or

Can you fit a Lyman Globe in a dovetail near the muzzle? You could probably make a bead out of a square top insert with some judicious cutting with a motor tool. Use a scribe to make your pattern on the steel.

waksupi
06-11-2022, 05:55 PM
Use some wire, and heat it until it beads the end.

Geezer in NH
06-11-2022, 07:54 PM
Wasn't a hog's hair used with a small ball of it melted at the top? I may have read that in Robert's book. I would try and find it but my eyes are not letting me at the moment. Having Cataract surgery this coming week.

beemer
06-11-2022, 10:02 PM
Wasn't a hog's hair used with a small ball of it melted at the top? I may have read that in Robert's book. I would try and find it but my eyes are not letting me at the moment. Having Cataract surgery this coming week.

Yes , you read that in Robert's book. A hog bristle with a ball melted on top.

Hope your cataract surgery goes well. Mine went very well, I thought someone had turned the lights on. Started shooting irons again. Maybe not as well as 25 years ago but it made me happy.

Dave

John Taylor
06-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Last one I did I machined a small ball on a piece of piano wire, drilled a hole in the base that was the same size as the wire ( .062") and soldered it to the base. A piece of welding rod 1/16" can be spun in a drill with a fine file to get the same results.

Geezer in NH
06-20-2022, 03:59 PM
Got the left eye done 5 days ago and starting to see again out of my left seems every day better. The drops mess the view up 4 times per day for the next 4 weeks due to my diabetes. Right eye getting done 6/29 I will see again!!!!!