PDA

View Full Version : Martini or Sharps Rifle

Murphinator
06-11-2022, 09:58 AM
My neighbor is selling some of his older rifles out of his collection and he has set aside two that I am deciding on. One is a Martini action rifle in .45-70 and the other is a Sharps Rifle in .45-70. The Martini rifle is marked "EG Mk III" made in 1922. The Sharps is marked "Shiloh Sharps Buffalo Model C" made in the 1970s by his estimate. Both rifles are in great shape and the Sharps is higher than the Martini in price. Im trying to decide on which rifle I should buy and which I should let slide. More or less which rifle wont hurt as bad to say no to. I decided to get an easier to load for caliber as my last hunting rifle was an 1857 Snider-Enfield in .577 Snider and that is quite pricey to reload for and casting bullets for that rifle uses a good amount of lead as the bullets are .600" diameter and are about 530 grains. I want to step down to .45-70 and cast .459" bullets and use 405 grain bullets to save my supplies and have cheaper brass and more plentiful access to brass cases. Thanks to all who reply, this is my first forum post so if this is in the wrong sub-forum my apologies I just joined today.

koger
06-11-2022, 10:05 AM
If you can afford it, go with the Sharps, never heard anyone complain after buying one, and in the long run if you take care of it, the worst you could do is get your money back, more likely you will make some money.

ascast
06-11-2022, 10:12 AM
Good Morning and welcome to the board. Tough choice. If you ever want to compete in BP, one general rule is you must have an exposed hammer. This rules out the Martini. The Sharps will always have more resale value. So which shoots better? I would try to get a handle which is chambered tighter, throated?, better sights, better trigger pull, better fit to me. Or... find more money and get both. best wishes.

marlinman93
06-11-2022, 10:24 AM
One issue with the Martini is if you ever wanted to use it for BPCR matches. Some matches require an exposed hammer style action, so a Martini is not OK. Check your local match rules if you might plan to ever shoot it in the matches.

eastbank
06-11-2022, 10:42 AM
buy both, if not get the sharps. you will not be sorry.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-11-2022, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the Castboolits Forum, Murphinator. Wow...what a terrible decision to be faced with! :D Both are really great rifles, and you're bound to have regrets if you only get one.

DG

RKJ
06-11-2022, 01:00 PM
Sharps, I don't believe you could go wrong there.

Gunlaker
06-11-2022, 01:22 PM
I'd pick the Sharps. I have no personal experience with the older models of the Shiloh Sharps, but have shot quite a few thousands of rounds through various, more recent, Shiloh Sharps rifles.

What sort of stock configuration is the "Buffalo Model C" anyway? That's not a model name that's been used recently.

Chris.

almar
06-11-2022, 01:53 PM
I would have to see both rifles. But blind, i would pick the shiloh. Any problems if they occur can be fixed still by the maker that has a great reputation. I have a 1874 sharps from Pedersoli and love it but also have a great shiloh on order...its a different feeling knowing you have a non mass produced firearm. You kind of love it more maybe...

sharps4590
06-11-2022, 02:17 PM
Notice my handle.....and guess....:-P

Murphinator
06-11-2022, 02:40 PM
I'd pick the Sharps. I have no personal experience with the older models of the Shiloh Sharps, but have shot quite a few thousands of rounds through various, more recent, Shiloh Sharps rifles.

What sort of stock configuration is the "Buffalo Model C" anyway? That's not a model name that's been used recently.

Chris.

It is a half stock with a 32 inch octogon to round barrel with a frony blade sight and a rear buckhorn that flips up to a ladder sight. It has a set trigger as well.

scattershot
06-11-2022, 02:53 PM
Welcome from communist infested Denver.. I’d go with the Sharps.

DocSavage
06-11-2022, 03:58 PM
No contest buy the Sharps you won regret it. And you'll always will be able to find parts easily should something break.

elmacgyver0
06-11-2022, 05:13 PM
If you don't buy both you will regret, it.
If you can't buy both get the Sharps.
It only hurts for a little while; Raman Noodles are your friend.

Rapier
06-11-2022, 07:52 PM
I would buy both if the bores are both good. Ask the owner which rifle shoots better. He may say the Martini.

The Sharps will win the resale race hands down.

Baltimoreed
06-11-2022, 08:44 PM
I have a nice Martini Cadet that is a blast but a Sharps would be the bomb. A cas friend waited over a year for his Shiloh Sharps.

pertnear
06-11-2022, 09:38 PM
As others have said, you can't go wrong with either if the prices are right. It may be a stretch, but buy both & enjoy shooting both then sell the lesser choice for what you paid or make a profit.

stubshaft
06-11-2022, 10:38 PM
The Sharps hand down!

GregLaROCHE
06-11-2022, 10:40 PM
I agree with everyone else on buying the Sharps. At least I would.

762 shooter
06-12-2022, 10:17 AM
What are the ballpark prices?

At least get the Sharps.

Jeff Michel
06-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Welcome aboard, Sharps. Be warned, once you buy a Sharps, your hooked.

BP Dave
06-12-2022, 12:11 PM
It's my understanding that most or all of the "EG Mk III" Martinis were manufactured as shotguns, primarily used by the Egyptian police. If so, relative value would depend heavily on the quality of the conversion to .45-70 and condition of both guns. My interest lies more with Martinis than Sharps, but without seeing either gun, if you have to choose between them I suspect the Sharps is the way to go.

Baltimoreed
06-12-2022, 12:27 PM
Navy Arms built and sold .45-70 rifles made from surplused Martinis, Rolling Blocks [had one] and Siamese Mauser actions in the 1970s.

1Hawkeye
06-12-2022, 01:40 PM
If its a real Shiloh don't say anything just do it:lol: or if you want the Martini then let me know and I'll come up from Va for the Shiloh[smilie=1:

Castaway
06-12-2022, 01:52 PM
If both break, I know where to get the Sharps fixed!

Bigslug
06-12-2022, 02:35 PM
I prefer the Martini - assuming you can mount your desired quality of sighting apparatus to both.

The Sharps is a real pain in the butt to run, with a lot of steps that you have to get "in the zone" for to operate cleanly. Half-cock, open action, load round, close action, actuate set-trigger (if so equipped), then fire.

The Sharps will generally have a much wider range of sighting options you can choose from. . .but then, so will a Winchester High Wall, which lacks the "12 step program" required to send a round downrange.

eastbank
06-12-2022, 04:31 PM
drop lever, insert round to be fired, close lever, set trigger(if uesing it), cock it, fire. put on half cock and repeat. easy peasy.

1Hawkeye
06-12-2022, 06:47 PM
drop lever, insert round to be fired, close lever, set trigger(if uesing it), cock it, fire. put on half cock and repeat. easy peasy.
Load a sharps that way and you'll break your firing pin Always put a sharps on half cock before dropping the block and only engage the set trigger when the lock is at full cock or you can risk damaging the set trigger contacts. It dosent take a phd to operate a sharps after awhile its second nature like loading an M1 or any other piece that has to be handled in a certain procedure. If the rifle is a Shiloh from the 1970's the address on the left side of the reciever will be Farmingdale NY it would be great if you could post some pictures so we could see exactly what models of martini and sharps they are. Wolfgang Droge was the guy who started Shiloh back in the 70's in Farmingdale then moved it to Big Timber MT then retiring and selling the company to the great folks who run it now.

john.k
06-13-2022, 02:34 AM
I agree the Martini is an ex police shot gun,very large and ugly.

Squid Boy
06-13-2022, 09:10 AM
I like the Martini's but never had one in 45-70. They are a little different to handle and operate but the only drawback I have ever seen is you can't see into them from the rear nor clean them from the breech end. Here's a pix of mine:
It uses the same receiver as the shotgun. Ugly? I don't think so. That's a Badger barrel and it is still chambered for the original 577-450 and shoots very well indeed. And I am usually the only one at the range with one.

The last problem is that being hammerless it isn't allowed in some single shot matches. I am trying to make a case for the Martini but the Sharps may be a better bet all around for you. Good luck choosing. Best Squid Boy

john.k
06-14-2022, 09:55 PM
The squid boy Martini is not a Greener shotgun EGMkIII.....its a British Army Martini Henry action ,considerably smaller and better shaped .....looking at the cocking indicator,its a MkI/II of 1872-1878.

iron brigade
06-21-2022, 11:48 AM
Had my Shiloh at the range today. She is a 45-70
12 grains of unique
Saeco 420
100 yards 4 -3/4" one out.
Easy on the shoulder and accurate

I had a mk4 martini for several years and it will beat you. The Last time I shot it I put 20 rounds down range and I had a headache the rest of the day. Anyway I sold it and bought a Ross rifle.
I bought my Shiloh several years ago from a friend and paid $1700 which included brass, dies, and 3 saeco moulds.
Fun to shoot!

warren5421
07-29-2022, 10:57 AM
Would like to know which one was bought.

I have a C Sharps and a Browning High Wall and would buy another High Wall before a Sharps as it handles better for me. It shoots a little softer recoil on my shoulder than the Sharps using a 535 gr bullet and max load 3031 or full case of black powder-Swiss 1 1/2 or Goex FFg. Will reach the 1000 yard targets and even hit them if I get lucky in reading the wind.