PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy resin and shot

Sasquatch-1
06-10-2022, 07:18 AM
This may sound waaay out there but, has anyone ever experimented with using a very fine shot (or something similar) mix with resin to make a frangible bullet?

Dio
06-10-2022, 07:38 AM
Seems like I read about something similar years ago in a gun magazine but I don't believe they used resin....el ers glue or rubber cement maybe?

GhostHawk
06-10-2022, 08:13 AM
Easier to use paraffin wax.

Does the same thing. Would make good breeching rounds. If they hit something solid they break up, where epoxy will probably stay together.

country gent
06-10-2022, 10:50 AM
I think I would try a polyurethane for the medium some thing in the 65-70 durometer and a bullet design of a truncated cone with a shallow cup point.
The form could be easily made to form the bullets the big piece of equipment would be a pressure pot to pressurize the forms as they cure. This helps form the shapes solidifies the form an pushes the air out making a better casting.

I think the way would be to put a measured amount of shot in each cavity in the form then light vibration to settle the shot. then add the polyurethane on top. Vacuum to pull all the air out and then into the pressure pot at 80-100 psi to cure.

The Glaser Safety slug is a form of what you are proposing and they are very effective a bullet jacket with shot in a medium and a nylon nose cap.
Very fine shot would give better accuracy and pack in tighter but a heavier shot would improve soft tissue penetration.