PDA

View Full Version : G3C police trade in

Freightman
06-09-2022, 08:36 PM
Took a chance and ordered one and I can find no evidence of it beeing fired. Happy with the purchase at $219 shipped.

Kosh75287
06-09-2022, 10:20 PM
I'm having a hard time placing the pistol. From whom did you buy it?

Freightman
06-09-2022, 10:49 PM
Sportsman Superstore. It is a Taurus G series Gen. 4. I like cheap Good guns I have a Stoeger 9mm great accuracy a Taurus G2C excellent, a Ruger ECS 9mm , a KAHR CW 45 acp. and a RIA 206 38 spc all shoot good and don't ruin the budget.

Winger Ed.
06-09-2022, 11:27 PM
I'd have a hard time passing on that deal too.

In the old days, I bought a few lots of Police turn ins.
Most had holster wear, but had been fired little if any.
A Police Officer firing their service weapon while on duty is kind of rare.
I even got a few S&W 5 shot air weights that still hadn't hadn't the three flashes from their proof house loads cleaned off.

On a lot of 5 Remington shotguns that came from the Florida Hi-Way Patrol, They had plenty of wear from being handled,
and marks from the racks in squad cars, but 2 still had the tracks in the barrel from their proof house loads.

If that one looks like it wasn't fired, it probably hasn't been.
I guess the Officers used a range gun to requalify with, and not their duty/carry gun.

243winxb
06-09-2022, 11:48 PM
Bought 2 new G3C .
Grandsons magazine release fell out of gun, 3th trip to the range. Dropped mag, release& spring.
Replaced release & spring, fired 50 rounds. Seemed ok.

But will it fail again?
Would you bet your life on it?
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/albums/taurus-g3c-9mm-luger.317/&page=2

Police trade ins- An armorer would check each traded in gun, before reselling, at some police supply companies. It was in their ads.

FergusonTO35
06-10-2022, 10:05 AM
Are those police trades from south of the border and not imported by Taurus USA? If so, Taurus won't warranty them.

The regular price on the G3C brand new with 3 mags is $279.95 around here. Rural King currently has them on sale for like $249.95 and Taurus is offering a $25.00 rebate on the G2 and G3 series right now. I really like my G3C, 'specially after Doug Guy worked his magic on the barrel.

Kosh75287
06-10-2022, 11:56 AM
Sportsman Superstore. It is a Taurus G series Gen. 4. I like cheap Good guns I have a Stoeger 9mm great accuracy a Taurus G2C excellent, a Ruger ECS 9mm , a KAHR CW 45 acp. and a RIA 206 38 spc all shoot good and don't ruin the budget.

I wouldn't presume to argue with your approach! Inexpensive lesser-known guns kinda fascinate me, too!

Der Gebirgsjager
06-10-2022, 11:57 AM
I think you got a good buy, Freightman. I wonder which agency uses Taurus? Maybe someone in Brazil.

DG

Lonegun1894
06-12-2022, 01:54 AM
I think you got a good buy, Freightman. I wonder which agency uses Taurus? Maybe someone in Brazil.

DG

I can’t answer your question, but I can give you a general lead or two as to where they came from. A lot of small agencies, like mine, do not issue any weapons, but rather authorize the individual officer to carry a personal, usually off an approved list of manufacturers or approved/denied by the chief on a case by case basis, with certain details spelled out in policy. In our case, a primary has to be at least .35 caliber, to allow for 9mm/.38Spl/.357 and bigger, with a minimum barrel length of 3”, but no brand or model specified. While a backup can be anything the officer qualifies with, and has no caliber/brand/model restrictions.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that many agencies sell off their duty guns when they replace them, and also sell off the ones in evidence. Now, we don’t do this, but the agencies that do, there is a time frame that they have to try and find the owner, the owner’s heir, etc, and basically do everything they can to return the gun to the rightful owner, but if they fail, after whatever time frame specified, and it’s usually several years or trying, they sell them. If you want an example of the mix of service weapons and evidence guns, look up GT Distributors on gunbroker. You’ll see a variety of guns, ranging from excellent condition to trash, and you never know what they’ll post next. I’m sure they aren’t the only ones. I live a couple hours away from one of their locations, and stop in their store once in a great while. Quality and condition varies, so it’s a gamble, but you can find a nice gun now and then.

charlie b
06-12-2022, 10:31 PM
Some cases officers may not have to qualify with their own firearm.

One range officer for a government security agency I knew had weapons at the range ready to go when the officers showed up to qualify. Why? He said the number of unserviceable guns carried by officers was very high. Qualification day was spent with most of them at the armorer getting their weapons fixed. He at least got most of them qualified on his guns and then sent them to the armorer. His stories would have been funny if not for where these guys were guarding.

So, just because a law enforcement agency used them does not mean they have been treated well.