PDA

View Full Version : Brass question...

Salmon-boy
01-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok, What's the deal with NT brass?

I've processed a couple of 45 ACP WIN NT brass, which other than the smaller primer pocket seemed like very solid brass.

Why then have I read such bad remarks about other brands in other calibers?? I ask because I'm sorting through some .40 S&W that has Federal NT brass mixed in.

I see no reason to not reuse this other than the fact that the primers have been crimped.

Boerrancher
01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
You have to have a tool that removes the primer crimp or you will never get a primer back in the case. That is the big beef with them. For me I don't think anything about it. As a Kid I spent many an hour running military 30-06 through the Herter's die that swadged out the primer crimp for my father. I still have that die set up, and still use it on some of the old Military 45 acp that I have.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mike in co
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
nt is "non-toxic", but they also are different size and different size hole .

i dod not sort my brass fro them, they just go in the mix. i have seen very little of them, and do add extra to all my bags of brass...for missed dinged, dented, whatever.

mike in co

R.C. Hatter
01-25-2009, 10:17 PM
There is no reason not to make use of your NT Winchester brass. Simply remove the crimp from the primer pocket, and re-prime with the appropriate primer. RCBS or
Huntington's in Orroville, CA can supply you with a press-mounted tool for the purpose of removing the crimp. I'm old enough to remember the days when about all you could get was crimped military brass, and such a tool worked fine for me. You can get both small & large primer sizes.