PDA

View Full Version : I paid too much for primers emotional support thread

Super Sneaky Steve
06-08-2022, 06:50 PM
Yes, it's 2022 and I've held off buying primers for years. Right now I think with all the gun control in the news and run away inflation we'll soon be looking back at $100 bricks as the good ol' days.

I just paid $900 for 10K Bosnian SPP and I feel a little sick to my stomach. :veryconfu

I need a cold shower and a shoulder to cry on.

dannyd
06-08-2022, 06:54 PM
Unless your like me I have more money than time to shoot. So I buy primers and enjoy them.

JimB..
06-08-2022, 07:22 PM
<announcer voice>
And here’s a bold move by SSS late in the game, only time will tell if he’ll regret this play.

namsag
06-08-2022, 07:31 PM
Well at least you have them and will be able to reload and shoot, it's what you like to do, and you will be able to continue doing so when lots of others probably won't. I see nothing wrong with it. I've done the same, and worse myself!

Super Sneaky Steve
06-08-2022, 07:46 PM
I've tried the reloading of primers thing. It works, but very tedious. It might be easier with Berdan cases which I'm saving for harder times.

dverna
06-08-2022, 07:55 PM
I've tried the reloading of primers thing. It works, but very tedious. It might be easier with Berdan cases which I'm saving for harder times.

Agree. I will pay $100/k before making primers.

Baltimoreed
06-08-2022, 08:05 PM
I contemplated getting a .38spcl cas rifle in order to stretch my supply of lpp’s. A 1000.00 investment but I never did. I wound up just swapping 3 bricks of srp/ spp for lpp. All my stuff is .45lc. Dumb thing is I had my hands on a very nice used .38 uberti for half that before the pandemic but put it back. Hindsight is always 20/20. Should have enough lpp’s for 5 years of monthly cas matches if I don’t get any more. Maybe a few ipsc shoots too.

dtknowles
06-08-2022, 08:43 PM
Ten cent primers make seven cent .22 LR look like a bargain:Fire:.

VariableRecall
06-08-2022, 08:49 PM
As a youngin who has only experienced the era of Primer Suffering, I've unfortunately have never seen what it used to be like. I scrounge any deal I can when it comes to primers. Thankfully, I've now got a box of everything, SRP, LPP, and SPP, but when those are gone, I'm going to be out of luck again. The good thing is now that I'm employed, I can actually spend extra on primers instead of digging into savings.

Even $75 a brick would be reasonable to my ears if that means that I don't have to pay $50 in hazmat fees. I have paid some unreasonable prices for the little fellas, but at least I've been able to find them from time to time. At least it means that I won't have to pay a dollar a round for .38 Special!

Bazoo
06-08-2022, 09:24 PM
If I had unlimited funds, I’d buy all I could get at $100 a brick. With things the way they are now, I ain’t got the funds to buy at any price.

mnewcomb59
06-08-2022, 09:31 PM
I should go get more.... My guy has a garage full of primers (he told me a half million each... lol) from about 10 years ago and his prices have been steadily climbing. His prices are good but I know he bought them at about 15-20/k. He now charges $80/k and you have to buy at least one pound of powder with each brick of primers. I guess I have it good compared to some but my butt is still chapped. With primer prices I shouldn't be messing around with 38s and 9s and just shoot 45s. Whats a half penny of powder when primers are about a dime each.

charlie b
06-08-2022, 09:36 PM
Our Sportsmans has been starting to get primers, all CCI so far. Several thousand. $5 box for std, $8 for BR. 2 box/day limit. I have been buying 2 a day of the BR02 primers for about a week now. So far all of it is small rifle and small pistol, but, they also had over 1000 of the CCI military primers.

Winger Ed.
06-08-2022, 09:56 PM
It is what it is and that's what the market will bear right now.

And look on the bright side, you've got the primers, and you didn't loose the $900. in some crooked BINGO parlor.

Brassmonkey
06-08-2022, 10:14 PM
I scored a case of federal spp a year ago from a guy who "had more than he could use in his lifetime" 75$ a brick wish I could have got more.

laurencen
06-08-2022, 10:49 PM
finding someone who is getting out of the game there are deals to be had, wish it was 100 a brick here and do not start me on powder

Half Dog
06-09-2022, 07:33 AM
Hi. My name is Half Dog and I too have paid too much for primers.
Perhaps I can give up eating so I can shoot more.

Finster101
06-09-2022, 07:36 AM
I have spent more money on much stupider things. Enjoy shooting while you can.

WinchesterM1
06-09-2022, 07:58 AM
I paid 100$ a brick for the OLD CCI SPP in the green and white boxes…ya gotta go what you gotta do, I bought about 70k of Tula spp about 10 years ago and I’m finally out and I bought those for 13$ a brick. But here is the thing if you need them buy them, because 100$ won’t even get you a 1/4 of a buggy of groceries anymore

Daekar
06-09-2022, 08:11 AM
I have a few thousand small primers at the moment but I am having trouble paying for more of them right now. I used to be able to make 357mag for less than the cost of a 22LR, but now the primer cost alone flips that on its head. I think I will be shooting more rimfire until the prices reach a more favorable equilibrium.

I did buy 1000 small rifle magnum primers for far too much money, but I have to admit that I have enjoyed using them in hot loads.

dverna
06-09-2022, 09:11 AM
Like others, I will pay that price if I have to. But I have drastically reduced my primer usage by doing almost all my plinking and fun shooting with PCP air guns. Surprisingly accurate to 50 yards and cheap to shoot. I will be doing some 100 yard shooting with them this year to see how it goes.

I am hoping after the mid-terms things get a bit more reasonable.

Lefty Red
06-09-2022, 09:29 AM
I bought SRPs for my 38 loads as it’s $96 per brick after tax. So It’s not a bad price!
It’s just what it is, and it’s going to be that way for a long time.

Only problem I have is that I will eat PBJ to save for primers, but my Jif makes my stomach hurt! LOL

Froogal
06-09-2022, 09:33 AM
YES! I paid too much but now I have them and should be good to go for at least a few years.

Soundguy
06-09-2022, 09:42 AM
primers have bumped between 90 and 150.. it's sad. If I find some I need.. I usually get them if around 100 $

Finster101
06-09-2022, 09:42 AM
I bought SRPs for my 38 loads as it’s $96 per brick after tax. So It’s not a bad price!

Only problem I have is that I will eat PBJ to save for primers, but my Jif makes my stomach hurt! LOL

Switch to Skippy! [smilie=l:

Mal Paso
06-09-2022, 10:18 AM
I only wish I had foreseen the spread. Back when primers were $28/K for Federals I thought LPP was all I would ever shoot. Silly me! So I'm paying $90/K for what I need.

At my age, if not Now, When?

Finster101
06-09-2022, 10:29 AM
I only wish I had foreseen the spread. Back when primers were $28/K for Federals I thought LPP was all I would ever shoot. Silly me! So I'm paying $90/K for what I need.

Yep, I'm 61 and have an implantable defibrillator. I might not have 2 or 3 years for prices to come down. If I am still around and they do, well that's all the better.

Shawlerbrook
06-09-2022, 10:55 AM
At $5/gallon for gas and $6-7/gallon for diesel a $100/1000 for primers seems right in line. Luckily I am set for now but I would be happy to buy at $100/1000 and worry more about gas, diesel and primers being unavailable at any price in the near future.

Kosh75287
06-09-2022, 11:00 AM
IF I ever develop the capability to manufacture/re-manufacture primers, THEN I might not balk at @$100/k primers. I paid more than that, recently, but now that I'm not COMPLETELY out, primers need to drop some, before I'm interested in more.

PERSONALLY, I share the O.P.'s despair and disdain.

dverna
06-09-2022, 11:19 AM

A lot of truth in that. The younger guys with kids to raise, and not in established careers, are hurt by this a lot more than we old timers. Plus we have "stuff" we can sell...well least some of us do. By that I mean we have guns/molds we bought years ago that have not been used much and we will not miss them if we sell them to guy a few thousand primers or lbs of powder.

$5 gas is not hurting me too much. I am not commuting 50 miles a day anymore. I can make do with one trip (50 miles round trip) to town a week to go to church and shop - about $12. 250 miles a week at 22 mpg would be costing me $60/wk.

wolfwing
06-09-2022, 11:28 AM
I just paid $180 for 2K. Hated to do it, but now I can breath a bit easier -- Bring on the Zombies!!

GBertolet
06-09-2022, 11:34 AM
I recently purchased 5K of Ginex SP primers from Midsouth for $399. I believe that these are the Bosnian primers that the OP refered to. Would have prefered Federal, but they are unobtanium. Hadn't had the chance to load any of the Ginex yet, but I have read good reviews. Never heard of them until a few months ago. Comes out to $80 per K, plus shipping and hazmat. Still too much. I am getting up there in years, and just waiting for the prices to come down any longer, is not a good option.

farmbif
06-09-2022, 12:04 PM
let us know how those ginex primers loads and work. they are supposedly a NATO supplier and they are the only primers that are supposedly waterproof.
we all missed out when Grafs couldn't unload what they had and prices were as low as $100/5000--the good ole days.
sometimes off brands work surprisingly well like the seiller belot primers

Rick R
06-09-2022, 12:36 PM
Yes, it's 2022 and I've held off buying primers for years. Right now I think with all the gun control in the news and run away inflation we'll soon be looking back at $100 bricks as the good ol' days.

I just paid $900 for 10K Bosnian SPP and I feel a little sick to my stomach. :veryconfu

I need a cold shower and a shoulder to cry on.

But now you have 10,000 opportunities to add critter to your red beans and rice. Plus next month that $900 may be worth $65
;)

charlie b
06-09-2022, 12:38 PM
To follow up. All the $5/100 primers were sold in a bit over a week. There are still about 4k BR-2 primers at $8/100. So, I am still buying them up, 200 a day. :)

FWIW, the BR-2 primers were $50/1000 pre-Covid. So, like powder, prices have gone up 25-30%.

TyGuy
06-09-2022, 12:39 PM
I grabbed 5k of the Bosnian Unis Ginex small pistol primers a while back for more than I would have like to have spent but less than I’m seeing now. I have loaded and shot a few hundred. They are a bit tight in some cases but I have yet to have any issue with performance.

Pereira
06-09-2022, 06:49 PM
Was just talking with a friend who knows a gun shop owner that's a big military distributor of ammo. Since the first of the year he said he has shipped 3 million rds. of 556 to Afgan, 2.5 mil. to Saudi Arabia, and another couple mil to somewhere in Africa. He says the ammo on the shelves now are just back orders from last year. After those are filled, estimated for the end of Summer, but doesn't know what after that. But, he did say that around Oct. there will be at least a 50% increase in all ammo prices,and not sure what components will be like. So my advice is buy what you want/need and maybe a tad more before the end of Summer.

FJB

RP

fredj338
06-09-2022, 07:13 PM
If you need them you need them but no, I dont think $100/1000 will be the good ole days. I have recently seen them for $60 plus shipping & hm. I think its going to take another 1-2y, after the Rep win in Nov, people will settle down a bit. Still inflation causes permanent price increases so we wont see $30/1000 agai but maybe $40-50. I am a buyer at $50. I may sing a diff tune when my stock drops below 10K.

Hanzy4200
06-09-2022, 07:32 PM
We've all paid high at one time or another. I would use that pain to motivate you to search. Online retailers are occasionally still getting inventory. My local Sportsman's Warehouse got a large shipment last week. It's 2 sleeves per person. Between me, my wife, and a good friend I've managed to get 2,800. Mostly SP magnum, some SR magnum. All CCI's at $5.20 per. They still have CCI BR-SR at $8.15 a sleeve. Didn't stop today. Point being they're out there, just takes determination. Good luck.

Sadly, the way things are going I highly doubt we will ever see sub $50 bricks. Likely $80-$100 will be normal. Bear in mind the inflation has just started. Prepare to reap the whirlwind.

Hanzy4200
06-09-2022, 07:35 PM
But now you have 10,000 opportunities to add critter to your red beans and rice. Plus next month that $900 may be worth $65
;)

Wise words here

kbstenberg
06-09-2022, 07:49 PM
I am getting the shakes. I only have 5K of SPP.

dverna
06-09-2022, 08:00 PM
If you need them you need them but no, I dont think $100/1000 will be the good ole days. I have recently seen them for $60 plus shipping & hm. I think its going to take another 1-2y, after the Rep win in Nov, people will settle down a bit. Still inflation causes permanent price increases so we wont see $30/1000 agai but maybe $40-50. I am a buyer at $50. I may sing a diff tune when my stock drops below 10K.

Agree. My safety stock is about 30k and a mix if SPP, SRP, LRP, and 209’s. Shed all the LPP pistols. If the SHTF, 30k primers is a lifetime supply.

waco
06-09-2022, 08:02 PM
I stocked up pretty good when Trump was in office. I can shoot comfortably for the next 6-8 years if I had too. Same for powder.

WRideout
06-09-2022, 09:38 PM
I recently bought 2,000 SPP made by Servicios y Aventuras for a little over $200.00 (us). As soon as the package landed on the doorstep, my shaking stopped. But I can quit any time.

Wayne

gc45
06-10-2022, 01:18 AM
i too would go to sportsmans for primers but it cost me $25.00 in gas for 200 primers..Not worth it..Have lots of rifle primers, enough for a lifetime but very short now on pistol primers which is all I shoot mostly..

PrestoColumbus
06-10-2022, 02:12 AM
It's interesting how the mindset changes.

I used to think a pistol and a box of ammo was good.

After understanding how important training is and learning to reload I feel anxious if I don't have components to load up 1,000 rounds.

Then you see a news headline, "man found with 2 rifles and 300 rounds of ammo!" and think, gee I hope they never stop me on a range trip.

405grain
06-10-2022, 03:53 AM
The price and unavailability of reloading components is making me seriously consider building a cap lock muzzleloader, and then making my own black powder and caps.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-10-2022, 05:38 AM
The price and unavailability of reloading components is making me seriously consider building a cap lock muzzleloader, and then making my own black powder and caps.

A lot of us already have. That's why I have a flintlock rifle and pistol now. I prefer to shoot my inline even though it takes 209 primers but they can be rebuilt for about the same trouble as making caps. Cap maker tools are also hard to find now. I've got jars of KNO3, Sulfur and ground char in the garage right now.

Savvy Jack
06-10-2022, 07:53 AM
I dont need to shoot bad enough to pay current prices. I don't mind price increases as long as my salary increases along with them.

My wife just picked up a can of WST, a can of 800-X, 600 Federal LPs and 1,000 WLPs for $100, to add to my collection. She didn't even have to let me know she ran across them Much to my disappointment, she left behind a can of 700-X, 2 Trail Boss cans and a box of 45 lead bullets.........but when my daughter comes for a visit next year..........

Lksdmachine
06-10-2022, 08:14 AM
I look at these strange times a little differently. I try to be sure my personal stash is abundant in anything I need. But if I cross paths with a good item and it’s priced right, I simply buy it. I may never use it, but the next guy will. Primers, powder, cases, lead, dies, molds, presses, etc are all currency in my eyes. The dollar as we trusted in for all our lives is one silly announcement away from being worthless (my opinion). The solid currency I have stashed is and always has value to another.

If I managed my inventory perfectly, I would discover I’m always out of balance between components. I’m always off between how many rounds I can make of some caliber for the amount of components I have on hand….drives me nuts.

Bigslug
06-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Think of it in the context of spending over $6.00 a gallon of gas in order to drive somewhere you don't want to go, to do something you don't want to do, in the company of people you'd rather not see.

Feel better about your primers now?:mrgreen:

MrWolf
06-10-2022, 08:57 AM
The ex got me again when I realized my 8lb jug of shot primers got tossed in the divorce move. Small price to payvas much happier now. I keep telling myself that all the things I need to do around here are more important than tapping into my stash. Kinda getting real hard to do that anymore. Just ordered a Walther WPM 22 mag pistol (prob take a bit for that to come in at his price). I have plenty of 22lr and maybe 5,000 22 mags so that should help the itch some.

Froogal
06-10-2022, 09:37 AM
I received a notice that CCI small pistol primers were available. Price had gone up from $80 to $90 but I pulled the trigger and bought a brick. THEN I checked a couple of other on-line retailers and found the price to be $70 for the same thing BUT that was a moot point, because they didn't have any primers in stock.

Pereira
06-10-2022, 10:04 AM
Think of it in the context of spending over $6.00 a gallon of gas in order to drive somewhere you don't want to go, to do something you don't want to do, in the company of people you'd rather not see.

Feel better about your primers now?:mrgreen:

[smilie=b:[smilie=l::2_high5:

RP

Geezer in NH
06-10-2022, 12:18 PM

Only problem I have is that I will eat PBJ to save for primers, but my Jif makes my stomach hurt! LOLYou eating from the salmonella tainted batch eh? They recalled it I had 2 big jars to throw out.

dondiego
06-10-2022, 02:35 PM
You eating from the salmonella tainted batch eh? They recalled it I had 2 big jars to throw out.

Dogs like peanut butter and it makes good trap bait.

Finster101
06-11-2022, 08:22 AM
I received a notice that CCI small pistol primers were available. Price had gone up from $80 to $90 but I pulled the trigger and bought a brick. THEN I checked a couple of other on-line retailers and found the price to be $70 for the same thing BUT that was a moot point, because they didn't have any primers in stock.

Yeah, it's easy to advertise them cheap when you don't have any. I have actually seen them for $39.99. Guess what, they were out of stock.

Mal Paso
06-11-2022, 09:46 AM
Woman Complains to a butcher with $3 chicken. The other butcher had $2.50 chicken but he is sold out. Butcher says my chicken is only $2 when I don't have any to sell.

Manns50
06-11-2022, 09:49 AM
Not even sure where some are finding them. I am kicking myself for not paying the in flatbed prices when I seen some at a gun show, because I was used to paying $13 a brick or less. But I didnt expect this to last as long as it has.
I will pay the inflated price at this point.

dondiego
06-11-2022, 10:17 AM
A good friend was getting out of the gun business 2 years ago and I bought out his supply of primers at $25 a brick. I was doing it as a favor to him and now I am really glad that I did! He had 30K of assorted sizes and brands. Doing him a favor did me a favor!

fastdadio
06-11-2022, 02:22 PM
Hi, my name is Dave, and I also, paid too much for primers.
I got a great deal on an AR in 350L, then went looking for reloading supplies. Never had the need for small rifle primers before this purchase. I got stung to the tune of $129.00/brick after hazmat and shipping for CCI#41's. Ouch, still cheaper than buying that boutique brand store bought stuff.

Soundguy
06-11-2022, 03:29 PM
I was down to 1700 spp and paid 13c @ for another 1500. Ugh...

Murphy
06-11-2022, 05:01 PM
I thought things were bad after the 2008 election, and they were for the times. I never dreamed things would get to where we as shooters are today.

And to think I squirmed at $250 a case back then.

Murphy

Kosh75287
06-11-2022, 05:21 PM
ME: "Hello, everyone. My name is ______ , and I'm a small pistol primer addict."
EVERYONE: "Hi, ______!"

I wonder if Anna Faris, Allison Janney, and the rest of the crowd are available for this show...

Land Owner
06-12-2022, 06:37 AM
I was responding to a post, on another board (sacrilege), where the discussion wandered to "pretty good price" by several posters at $1.40 per round of 357 Maximum, 158 JHP, defense ammo! That was a "teachable moment" to push Shoot More for Less through reloading. Perhaps some of them will go into reloading to keep the cumulative price per round affordable over the long haul.

In the larger "scheme" of things, currently inflated pricing MAY come down. Buy now, keep shooting, sparingly perhaps, PACE YOURSELF, and AVERAGE the cost of components. Divide cumulative component price paid by the total number of shots fired. The average per shot price is on the rise, but an instantaneous "cost increase" won't "feel" so bad through averaging.

Super Sneaky Steve
06-12-2022, 10:51 AM
Hi, my name is Dave, and I also, paid too much for primers.
I got a great deal on an AR in 350L, then went looking for reloading supplies. Never had the need for small rifle primers before this purchase. I got stung to the tune of $129.00/brick after hazmat and shipping for CCI#41's. Ouch, still cheaper than buying that boutique brand store bought stuff.

Wow, you got bent over hard! That's another problem when they have a max limit of one or two bricks, you can't spread out the hazmat/shipping fees.

fastdadio
06-12-2022, 12:25 PM
Wow, you got bent over hard! That's another problem when they have a max limit of one or two bricks, you can't spread out the hazmat/shipping fees.

Yup, that was about a year or so ago. Right at the peak of the scamdemic. But, just to make up for that, I also bought two cases, (2000k) rounds of Winchester 350L 145gr. fmj, for about .46 cents/round. It's hovering around a buck/round right now.
I honestly believe that when this cartridge first hit the market, the mfr's were selling it at wholesale or even at a loss in order to promote interest in it. The prices slowly began crawling up on it as time went by. All things considered, looking at the big picture, I don't feel too beat up on the project. It really is a great cartridge for what I use it for. It does a number on deer in the hardwoods and swamps.

bimus
06-12-2022, 12:49 PM
In this gun/ reloading and protect your self and family protection world of today it is better to have then not have . You are much better off walking out of the store with what you bought then being the guy that walks out with nothing when it was right there in front of him and will be gone when he thinks about and returns to buy it .

Pereira
06-12-2022, 01:11 PM
In this gun/ reloading and protect your self and family protection world of today it is better to have then not have . You are much better off walking out of the store with what you bought then being the guy that walks out with nothing when it was right there in front of him and will be gone when he thinks about and returns to buy it .

Yes sir, back at the first of April I found one store that had a few thousand ssp's but at $100 per 1000, I was reluctant.
In the end I did grab one at that price, when I got to the counter, private shop, I ask about a cash discount.
He waved the tax, which saved $10, hey every little bit helps.
Hindsight I probably should have grabbed at least one more.

RP