PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Problems

BJung
06-06-2022, 12:47 AM
I shot 40-160 LHP Mihec bullets today using 6.0-6.8gr AA5 at 1.131" OAL. The lower charges tended to not feed and jam. What is the cause of this? Seating depth?

sigep1764
06-06-2022, 01:27 AM
Usually with lower charges causing feeding issues, it is the speed or distance the slide travels that is to blame. If the charge does not have enough energy to push the slide all the way back, it cannot properly pick up the next round. It can also be that the slide does not have enough energy from the recoil spring being short stroked to overcome the inertia to load the next round. Each pistol is different. Yours seems to like medium to higher charges.

BamaNapper
06-06-2022, 02:01 PM
I've been guilty of relaxing my grip with light loads and ended up with feed issues. Usually it was with my CC, I assume because of the light weight. If I maintain a solid grip on the gun, the slide does its thing reliably. But if I let the frame waffle around in my hand, feed issues can start showing up with the same loads. Eventually I settled on a more robust load.

Char-Gar
06-06-2022, 02:14 PM
I shot 40-160 LHP Mihec bullets today using 6.0-6.8gr AA5 at 1.131" OAL. The lower charges tended to not feed and jam. What is the cause of this? Seating depth?

I have noticed in your posts you are very spare with information. It you want something more that just subject guesses, you need to give more information starting with what gun.

DougGuy
06-06-2022, 02:18 PM
If you pull the barrel do the rounds you have loaded plunk and turn freely?

Winger Ed.
06-06-2022, 03:00 PM
The lower charges tended to not feed and jam. What is the cause of this? Seating depth?

It looks like you've answered your own question.

The lower charges aren't strong enough to cycle the action.

gwpercle
06-06-2022, 05:58 PM
I have noticed in your posts you are very spare with information. It you want something more that just subject guesses, you need to give more information starting with what gun.

:goodpost:
I've noticed lack of details from lots of new posters .
The more information given from the get-go the better and more precise the answer will be .
In this game details matter and you aren't charged by the number of words typed ...
so don't be stingy with the details ... tell us all the facts !
Gary

Dusty Bannister
06-06-2022, 06:22 PM
Perhaps one other factor at play here. If the data is obtained from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, the data is not obtained from a functioning firearm. It is obtained with a Universal Receiver. It will show the pressure developed, but there is no certainty that it will cycle a semi-auto handgun with a strong recoil spring.