PDA

View Full Version : Leaf ID?

36g
06-05-2022, 11:10 PM
I ran across these plants while on a film shoot in Montana in January. They were just as pictured, not on a vine, but rather flat on the ground just growing as a triple leaf on a stem. The location was at about 6500 feet near Emigrant Peak south of Livingston, MT. There were comments about poison ivy but I'm thinking some type of holly or other ground plant. Any suggestions?

Bazoo
06-05-2022, 11:16 PM
I’m not sure what it is but I’m sure it’s not poison ivy.

M-Tecs
06-05-2022, 11:19 PM
wild strawberries?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wild%20strawberry%20leaves&qs=MM&form=QBIR&sp=4&pq=wild%20strawberry&sk=MM3&sc=8-15&cvid=94497965B9814F7B85E5AF19CDCE5058&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

Winger Ed.
06-05-2022, 11:35 PM
That probably isn't poison ivy.
I'm so sensitive to it, I can see a picture of the stuff and break out with a rash,
and I didn't when I saw your picture. But I may be having a delayed reaction....

However--
With three leaves on a stem, growing as a vine, and especially if it only grows in shade-
I'd play it safe and treat it as if it was poison ivy.

rbuck351
06-05-2022, 11:40 PM
I think it's Oregon grape. As it grows it gets more leaves lower on the stem in pairs. I'm not much of a plant guy so take that for what it's worth.

corbinace
06-06-2022, 12:04 AM
Those leaves are pretty damaged, but my vote is Oregon Grape as well.
Waxy leaves with small spines around the perimeter.
This time of year may have had white clusters of flowers as well.

36g
06-06-2022, 12:16 AM
More info - they were found in a mixed pine/oak forested area, the ground was well frozen with snow cover in the area. Nearby lake had about 1 foot of ice on it so temps had to have been cold for a while. There were several of these plants scattered in the cleared area under trees. No vines, all were just the three-leaf on a stem as shown in the picture. Oregon grape looks right from a leaf shape but there were none with more than three leaves and no fruit or flowers evident. All were green as in alive even in the frozen ground. I don't think poison ivy for several reasons - not on a vine, not shiny, spiked leaves, not frozen out.

Land Owner
06-06-2022, 05:02 AM
I grow strawberries (my vote). I think M-Tecs got it.

Randy Bohannon
06-06-2022, 05:35 AM
Creeping Barberry.

Geezer in NH
06-06-2022, 10:40 AM
Looks like wild strawberries to me I have them in the orchard every year taste great the berries not the leaves.

kootne
06-06-2022, 11:14 AM
I've lived in Montana all my life but for 5 years in Wy. This is my call based on the OP's info; they are most likely Oregon Grapes. They are one of the very few plants that can have green leaves in January. They are not going to have any flowers in January and the grouse and other birds will have eaten any fruit long before then.
The reference to pine/oak is confusing, I have never seen an oak tree in Montana, and there are at least 6 conifer species in that area, 3 of them not being pines.

waksupi
06-06-2022, 12:38 PM
Oregon grape. Got lots of it on my property.

rbuck351
06-06-2022, 12:53 PM
Your further description increases my belief these are Oregon grape. They have some green leaves all year usually just the three on the end of the stem. They don't have a vine as such and the hundreds around my yard have no berries or flowers yet. They are starting to get more leaves on the stems now. Earlier in the year they usually only have the three. The three leaves you show are last years leaves by the darker color.

36g
06-06-2022, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the input! It would appear that Oregon Grape it is although the leaves of the wild strawberry do look very close.

Randy Bohannon
06-06-2022, 05:26 PM
Creeping Barberry, look it up. Oregon state flower.

CastingFool
06-06-2022, 08:50 PM
Poison ivy leaves tend to look like a mitten301054

As much time as I've spent in the woods, I didn't know what poison ivy looked like until a couple of years ago. As far as I know, I'm not allergic to it, but look for it every time i go out. I do have a bunch of it in my property

rbuck351
06-07-2022, 02:06 AM
creeping barberry also known as creeping Oregon grape is one of 6 different species of what is called Oregon grape. The type we have in my area (western Montana) don't grow nearly as tall nor as bushy as some of the other types. The OP said his type was flat/low to the ground which would make it a different type from creeping barberry. All the forms appear to be very similar as to leaf formation which would make it difficult to be sure what species it is just from the picture shown.

Randy Bohannon
06-07-2022, 04:23 AM
Low and flat growing is referred to as ‘creeping’ it is a variety of ‘Creeping Barberry ‘the ‘species’ is Barberry regardless of variety.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-07-2022, 10:17 AM
I'm always interested in this stuff. While I wouldn't have a clue what it is, Wikipedia says it's,
"Mahonia repens commonly known as creeping mahonia,[1] creeping Oregon grape,[2] creeping barberry,[3] or prostrate barberry, is a species of Mahonia native to the Rocky Mountains and westward areas of North America, from British Columbia and Alberta in the north through Arizona and New Mexico, then into northwest Mexico by some reports.[3] It is also found in many areas of California[4] and the Great Basin region in Nevada"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahonia_repens

going by "commonly known as", it seems most everyone posting an answer in this thread is correct, even though different names are mentioned.