PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli rolling block help

Tazman1602
06-04-2022, 04:28 PM
OK, I’m showing my ignorance on rolling blocks probably. Scored a very nice Pedersoli a few months back and have ammo reloaded. Took it to the range today, cocked hammer, opened loading gate, thumbed in round……and extractor seemed to be in the way of it closing the block —- what am I missing? When loading gate opens, extractor follows it all the way back. I understand about the trigger safety when gate is opened but do I need to manually push the extractor to the chamber?

I have not looked at this very close yet but I have zero experience with this action and when it failed to chamber I had an absolutely wonderful afternoon pounding my shoulder with a (Miroku..) 1886 that really really liked my loads. Thought I’d ask before I tear into things….

Many Thanks,

Art

Nobade
06-04-2022, 04:38 PM
The round should not bypass the extractor when chambered, and when the block is closed the round and extractor will close together. If the case goes past the extractor you won't be able to close the block. Hopefully your rifle has the correct extractor in it.

Tazman1602
06-04-2022, 05:26 PM
The round should not bypass the extractor when chambered, and when the block is closed the round and extractor will close together. If the case goes past the extractor you won't be able to close the block. Hopefully your rifle has the correct extractor in it.

Thank you, just proved it. If I grab extractor and push it towards the chamber (it literally “flops” when chamber is opened and follows breechblock all the way back..) then load the round (a dummy) it closes perfectly. Not certain how normal that is as it’s my first rolling block. Very glad I’m over my affinity for hammers at this age…

Art

marlinman93
06-05-2022, 11:20 AM
Your Rolling Block is working exactly as it should. If the extractor was having issues it wouldn't allow the block to close with a cartridge started into the chamber. The breech block finishes chambering the round, and pushes the extractor in place at the same time.

MaLar
06-05-2022, 01:25 PM
This was a problem with early Pedersoli rollers. I sanded down the right side of my breach block, and placed a wave washer under the extractor. Had to open the inside of the washer with a dremel to get a fit. I can still get the extractor to pull back all the way, but it will stay forward under normal use.

indian joe
06-05-2022, 07:50 PM
My son has an early Italian repro roller works the same as the OP - easy enough to get a case rim ahead of the extractor if you dont pay attention - not a big deal once you get familiar with the rifle

nuclearcricket
06-06-2022, 02:27 PM
The pedersoli extractors are cast, just an inexpensive way to make the, however they are designed as a drop in part and only need to be faced and the rim cut made. What stops the rearward rotation of the extractor is that it hits the frame under the chamber area. If you pull the breach block and extractor out you will notice a long flat to the front of the extractor. This can be welded up by a good tig welder and then dressed down to extract the case but not go so far back that you can get the rim in-front of it. Yes it is a bit of a pain in the behind to do as its a lot of in and out till you get it right but I think its worth it.
Sam

Tazman1602
06-07-2022, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Rifle loads (and presumably shoots…) fine as long as I push extractor towards chamber with a fingernail to where it catches rim of cartridge and then block closes perfectly. It seems strange that the extractor would do that as the RB was supposed to be a fast loader in its day.

I have written Pedersoli but have not heard back and YES, it must be an early model although in NIB shape.

Art

agcannon
06-07-2022, 07:22 PM
My 7mm rem. rb has the same issue, I have to be certain the extractor is in the rim of the case before closing, not an issue with my 30-40 rb carbine with the rimmed case

Tazman1602
06-08-2022, 06:19 AM
My 7mm rem. rb has the same issue, I have to be certain the extractor is in the rim of the case before closing, not an issue with my 30-40 rb carbine with the rimmed case

Same thing I’m struggling with THANK YOU!

Art

marlinman93
06-08-2022, 10:01 AM
I don't have any issue with extractors on any of my 18 original Rolling Block rifles. Even those that are rebarreled in non original cartridges aren't a problem. I put a cartridge in the chamber and the rim of the cartridge rests against the extractor. Then just roll the block closed and it finishes chambering the cartridge. None slip past the extractor, and shouldn't slip past unless the extractor isn't fitted properly, or donor brass has a smaller rim diameter.

John Taylor
06-09-2022, 12:26 PM
The 7MM extractors are made to spring around the rim but some don't.

Tazman1602
06-10-2022, 04:19 PM
I don't have any issue with extractors on any of my 18 original Rolling Block rifles. Even those that are rebarreled in non original cartridges aren't a problem. I put a cartridge in the chamber and the rim of the cartridge rests against the extractor. Then just roll the block closed and it finishes chambering the cartridge. None slip past the extractor, and shouldn't slip past unless the extractor isn't fitted properly, or donor brass has a smaller rim diameter.

……and THAT I think is what I’m fighting, you cannot just unlock block and load, the extractor follows the breech block ALL the way and then you have to push it forward towards the chamber, engage case rim, and then everything locks up as it should

Art

elmacgyver0
06-10-2022, 05:08 PM
Those things are not that complicated.
Should be an easy fix.

Tazman1602
06-20-2022, 03:52 PM
Update for all

WOW….the things we won’t do for an old gun, just an update for you. I talked to Lee Shaver (a really nice down to earth guy…) who informed me the operation of this rolling block was normal — I asked Pedersoli to date it for me via serial number and they immediately responded the rifle was made and shipped to Navy Arms in 1992….before the Navy Arms import stamp was required. I do not think this rifle was ever fired. Anyways the answer was to get an updated extractor which has a stop on it (rotary extractor) to stop the “flop”. Since this was a target model I guess the extra step of lifting the extractor back up to feed a cartridge wasn’t a big deal, just enough to bug me and guess what….there wasn’t one to be had anywhere…..except Pedersoli in Italy…so I ordered two….upon which I found out shipping (which should get it to me somewhere in the next six months….) exceeded the cost of the two extractors…Lord I love old single shots….

pworley1
06-20-2022, 06:08 PM
They can be a pain sometimes but they are addictive.

nuclearcricket
06-22-2022, 04:36 PM
When you get your new extractors, they will have to be fitted. Both to the chamber and to the breach block, most likely. There is also a good chance you will experience the same problem with the new extractor as with the original but perhaps not to the same extent. The best thing to do is when they are fitting up the new one, or you could do it with the one you have is to have it welded up and then dressed down to prevent it from rolling back so far as to be able to get the case rim infront of it. Here is a pic of mine and you can see where it was welded up. A good tig welder can run a few beads and build up the area and then you dress it down until it only comes back about 1/4" or so.
Sam301473

Tazman1602
06-22-2022, 04:42 PM
I had thought about welding it up Sam but after talking with Lee decided to roll the dice in the hope the the new extractors from Pedersoli were updated. According to him, the later model extractors have a “hump” that stops them from rolling all the way back, if not I’ll live with it like it is and if they are then fit and go. Thanks for the picture!

Art

john.k
06-23-2022, 06:24 AM
Many single shot block type rifles have this problem.....the cure has been to provide overtravel of the breechblock to extract,and to spring load the extractor so that it returns into its recess ,before a cartridge is loaded.....When I made a Starr replica,it had this problem ,and later ,I found that Starr had cured it by using a stub extractor to power a spring loaded sliding extractor,similar to a shotgun.

StrawHat
07-03-2022, 05:27 PM
This early Pedersoli, does it has a brass triggerguard and brass plate between the action pins?

Kevin

Tazman1602
07-11-2022, 07:33 PM
This early Pedersoli, does it has a brass triggerguard and brass plate between the action pins?

Kevin

YES IT DOES! I just received two extractors from Italy, took a chance, and Pedersoli remedied the issue by putting a “bump” on the extractor so it didn’t come fully back with the breech block. Now I just have to put it in — I got the info on the extractor from Lee Shaver by the way who explained many of the older Pedersoli rolling blocks were made like this and posed no safety issues he knew of.

Mine (and probably yours…) is 1992 manufacture according to serial dated by Pedersoli….

Art

Baltimoreed
07-11-2022, 07:40 PM
I had one too in 45-70, a very heavy beautiful beast.

StrawHat
07-11-2022, 09:56 PM
…YES IT DOES! I just received two extractors from Italy, took a chance, and Pedersoli remedied the issue by putting a “bump” on the extractor so it didn’t come fully back with the breech block...

Interesting, I may have to get a new extractor before I sell my Navy ATMs Pedersoli.

…Mine (and probably yours…) is 1992 manufacture according to serial dated by Pedersoli….

Probably not, I bought mine in the early 70s.

Kevin