PDA

View Full Version : How to decide if I need to size my bullets

ghh3rd
01-25-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm new to casting and reloading, so at the risk of sounding ignorant, I'll be asking lots of questions, and appreciate the patience that everyone has shown me.

I tapped one of the .38 wadcutter bullets that I cast tonight into an empty case, making it about the same length as a commercial round. All but about 1/4" fits into the cylinder of my revolver. The cylinder gets smaller just over an inch in.

From what I've read, I believe that this is the forcing cone - is that correct? Does this mean that I must size these bullets before reloading them, since they don't fit? I did order and receive a .358 sizing die . If I need to size these, and the .358 die allows the rounds to fit into the cylinder, would that indicate that they will/should work in this gun?

When a bullet is forced through the cone, what happens to the extra lead that is swaged off? Does it spray out of the barrel? Doesn't forcing a bullet through a smaller space remove the lube before the bullet gets to the barrel, and if so wouldn't that cause leading?

Why do commercial rounds seem to fit all guns in a particular caliber? Do they make the bullet a smaller size so it will fit all makes?

I told you I'll have lots of questions. Thanks again - learning as I go...

Randy

(a couple of pics)

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/ghh3rd11/IMG_5597.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/ghh3rd11/IMG_5599.jpg

mag44uk
01-25-2009, 04:44 AM
Full wadcutter bullets are designed to fit flush with the end of the case. Usually!
Your rounds are hitting the step inside the cylinder. Take a squint down your cylinder held up to the light.
The forcing cone is in the start of the barrel.
HTH Tony

cajun shooter
01-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Your bullet design is meant to be seated all the way into the case. If you have a loading manual and you should it will have a pic or drawing showing your oal. Just remember that it's the question not asked that's the stupid one. Your bullet is also of the tumble lube design and needs to be lubed before loading.

Bret4207
01-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm new to casting and reloading, so at the risk of sounding ignorant, I'll be asking lots of questions, and appreciate the patience that everyone has shown me. There's no dumb questions

I tapped one of the .38 wadcutter bullets that I cast tonight into an empty case, making it about the same length as a commercial round. All but about 1/4" fits into the cylinder of my revolver. The cylinder gets smaller just over an inch in.

From what I've read, I believe that this is the forcing cone - is that correct? That's the cylinder throat in a revolver, the forcing cone lays within the start of the barrel and is the part you see just sticking out of the rear of the frame. Does this mean that I must size these bullets before reloading them, since they don't fit? No, not with a wadcutter. It should be seated almost entirely within the case. I did order and receive a .358 sizing die . If I need to size these, and the .358 die allows the rounds to fit into the cylinder, would that indicate that they will/should work in this gun?That WC should work as cast in your gun unless it's drastically oversize, in which case it wouldn't chamber at all.

When a bullet is forced through the cone, what happens to the extra lead that is swaged off? As far as we know the excess lead mostly remains with the boolit when it's is swaged down by the throat, forcing cone and barrel. In some cases tiny fins of lead may be found protruding from the rear of a PB (plain base, no gas check) design but that's not real common. The boolit is swaged, that is the meatal is displaced, not sheared from the boolit, so no lead should be "spray" out of the barrel. Does it spray out of the barrel? Doesn't forcing a bullet through a smaller space remove the lube before the bullet gets to the barrel, and if so wouldn't that cause leading?Unless the boolit is larger than the minor size of the barrel, throat or chamber this shouldn't happen. As the boolit progresses through the chamber throat, forcing cone and barrel it becomes progressively smaller, at least in a properly set up gun. Obturation from pressure meanwhile is trying to make the boolit larger, at least in those cases where the alloy is soft enough to obturate at that given loads pressure. Meanwhile the lube is being forced out of the grooves from the resulting hydraulic pressure and, as the boolit starts to spin, by centrifugal force. At least that's the theory. So given proper or at least workable dimensions, the lube is working it's way out of the lube grooves during it's travel within the gun. The lube which remains within the gun provides additional lubrication for succeeding boolits, which is why changing lubes sometimes results in odd grouping.

Why do commercial rounds seem to fit all guns in a particular caliber? Do they make the bullet a smaller size so it will fit all makes? Yes, smaller, harder and usually not as accurate or leading free as properly sized and alloyed boolits. A case of trying to find a happy medium with mediocre results in many cases, but if you don't know any better...

I told you I'll have lots of questions. Thanks again - learning as I go...

Randy

(a couple of pics)

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/ghh3rd11/IMG_5597.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq226/ghh3rd11/IMG_5599.jpg

All this is theory based on well over 100 years of observation of the lead alloy boolit in rifles and handguns. We're still working on figuring it all out.

ghh3rd
01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I just woke up this morning and have already learned several things....

Thanks!

Randy