PDA

View Full Version : it happened again?

HCL
01-25-2009, 01:34 AM
Once again a scared lonely pistol followed me home, and my wonderful woman let me keep it!
A S&W 637. What do these things like as far as boolit weights? I have several molds for .38, maybe I will need to get more..[smilie=1:
It is a pretty neat little gun, have not messed with these little ones too much, figured it was time.
Thanks
Mike

August
01-25-2009, 09:05 AM
I have a sense that early "Chief's" models were regulated for 158 grain boolits and that later models have been regulated for 125 grain boolits. About the time stainless gunz were getting popular (mid-seventies) the 125 grain FBI load was starting to be developed.

shooting on a shoestring
01-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Wadcutters. That little barrel being only 1&7/8", the distance the boolit base extends into the case makes a measureable difference on velocity. The further into the case the boolit base extends, the farther the boolit base travels under pressure when fired, the more velocity. I've found that I can get wadcutters to run about 10% faster out of my short barreled Mod 60 than SWCs. Also I prefer the big flat meplat of wadcutters for 800 to 900 fps .358 boolits.

Boolits weights? 150 to 160 works best IMHO. The 125s go a little faster but give less penetration. The 175s go considerably slower and don't seem to gain penetration. It seems the 150 to 160 gr window is the best compromise between velocity and boolit weight.

Also, Bullseye to Herco powders work really good. 2400 works, but can't get anymore velocity than Unique or Herco in my experience.

Congrats on the addition. My Mod 60 has been a staple in my stable since the 1970s. I drew it once while changing a flat tire at about 2 a.m. when 4 guys stopped to "assist" me and brought their own chain and club. I pulled the Mod 60 out of my pocket and changed the balance of power. Situation was immediately resolved peacefully in my favor. It was enough gun b/c it was a gun and was in the right place at the right time.

Enjoy yours and shoot it often.

44man
01-25-2009, 09:39 AM
What kind of bait do you use so they follow you home? :drinks::drinks:

GP100man
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
HCL
you must have been using(green ) bait or (visa) bait , anyways it was good bait!!!!
i don`t shoot it as often as needed but i enjoy my cheif`s model 36. poa with 158s.

GP100man:castmine:

HCL
01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
No bait, when at the gun store, I pick them up and pet them, hug them and tell them I will feed them all the powder and lead they can eat. About this time the guy behind the counter hands me a rag to wipe up the drool that I have left everywhere on the counter and tell me that I am the proud owner of a soggy new pistol, he would feel bad if he had to lock it back up. :-D

I have a couple wad cutter molds, Lee 148gr DEWC and a 358432, with WW it drops about 152grs. I will give these a try.

Thanks
Mike

fourarmed
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I have used mine in our "bordello" field pistol events. The best long range accuracy I have gotten so far is with 358429. Lighter bullets shoot low in mine. 40 rounds of that, and you do begin to notice the recoil, though.

HCL
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
148gr dewc, 3-5grs unique was pretty interesting, kinda like a big pop gun, though at the top end load recoil was quite brisk. (all at approx 20ft)
Seams 3.3grs was the most accurate, did not get the crony out due to wx but going to play around with some bullseye next.
Out of aprox 150rds had one keyhole? got any ideas? Of course that would not be a bad thing at close range.
No real signs of leading. All water dropped WW.
Pretty fun little pistol!